output sound to multiple devices?

jwindley

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just upgraded md graphics to an ATI HD4350 with HDMI and sound, and I was wondering if its possible to have sound going through both the onboard SPDIF and the HDMI lead?

Both devices are enabled in control panel, but windows uses a single "default" output device

Thanks!

For what purpose would you want to do that?

I would like to be able to dual output also.

When i watch TV I like my 7.1 rig to be running. (Optical)

When wifey watches TV she likes it out of the TV speakers. (HDMI)

if you could use hdmi for the surround sound you could pick up an hdmi splitter cable. They're only a few quid :thumbsup:

Unfortunately my Amp only has coax or optical :(

Does your tv take either of those? You could get a optical/coax splitter (i'm not obsessed with splitters, honest).

Would mean another cable to your tv though. Sometimes not possible.
[Edit] And sometimes you can't set the tv to use video from one source and sound from another. Depends what you have i suppose [/Edit]

i also wanted to know if i buy a board with HDMI and SPdif if i can get sound out of both as its much easier that way. I just assumed this was possible

I would go for a splitter.
I use one for HDMI to get the signal to my TV and PJ.
This one also has optical out so I can use HDMI for a TV and Optical to a Receiver if I want to.

I think its the best solution because I think you will always have to switch between sound trough HDMI or Optical trough your bios.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom