1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Output Options

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Zog, Oct 2, 2001.

1. Zog

Zog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Done a fair bit of reading on available decks, but must confess to being a little confused by the array of output options. Particularly re the sound. To ensure that I future proof my purchase as much as possible what should I look for. Some dealers are showing me units with the relevant array of mulitple RCA plugs others say that optical is the only answer. I always suspect a hidden agenda and would appreciate a honest answer. I am considering an amp upgrade also, so the two need to match up !

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Make sure your amp has a digital input and decoders for DD and DTS. Make sure your DVD player has a digital output compatible with both DD and DTS. As for RCA phono vs Optical for digital connections - opinions are divided roughly 50:50 - which supports my view that you can't tell them apart.

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having both digital co-ax inputs and digital optical inputs gives you the best of both worlds.

For example, sky+ only has an optical output not a co-ax. Some DVD players favour one over the other.

Having a few extra phono inputs (in pairs) is usually a good idea in case your tv is no good at passing the audio from other sources.

4. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I think what Zog might have been refering to with "multiple RCA plugs" could be a player with an onboard decoder. Not usually up to par with a seperate or one built into an amp/ reciever. Of course I could be wrong..

Cheers Rob.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thought so, too:

1. Make sure the player has a digital output, either optical or coaxial. Better is having both, just in case.
    Digital outputs are used for PCM (CD) and Bitstream (DD/DTS).

2. If you use a projector perhaps component output for the video is required (red, green, blue RCA/phono connectors).
    Not to be confused with the RGB video norm, Component video is not compatible.
    PS (progressive scan) DVD players may have two sets of Component connectors or one set which is switchable.

3. For standard TV use of a SCART is recommended, preferably RGB enabled - but your TV must support this (alternatively use S-Video via Scart).
    2nd Scart can be of advantage if inputs at the TV are limited.

4. Seperate S-Video output (5pin mini-DIN/Hosiden connector) may also be usefull if you want to use the video switching facility of your AV amp (no adapter cable would be required).

5. Internal Decoder (or rather: Decoder/5.1-Output) may be advisable if you have already an existing AV amp with 5.1 input but no DD/DTS decoding, like e.g. an old DPL amp.
    If you are interested in purchasing a new one this will not be of much use; however if the player does have the output it will not disturb either.

And for those who are too cost-concious: ALL DVD players have a decoder built in (to provide a downmix), so you do not pay that much more just for a few connectors on the back ...

[ 03-10-2001: Message edited by: Reiner ]

6. Zog

Zog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the advice. The full story behind this stems from 2 things.
    1/ I've recently discovered elsewhere on these forums that I can convert my beloved Yammy DSP-A970 from Pro-log to Dolby-Dig/DTS. As standard, the conversion includes the addition of a D-Connector for the A/V input.
    2/ I've just bought a PS2. Though primarily for games I was pleasantly impressed with the DVD idea once I tried it. So I'm now looking at buying a stand alone DVD.

Now the PS2 comes with an optical out for DTS, Dolby Dig and MPEG. If the upgrade to my amp can be modified to accomodate this then i needed to know that I wouldn't be compromising future performance when I buy the decent DVD player.

Have a exc. monster Sony TV used a a monitor via the amp. Plenty of input options and currently connected witha single phono type lead, though may switch to S-video.

Your right about the inbult decoder ref. Funny how none of the places asked if I had a decoder already!

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    1. The upgrade will probably cost more than a new (entry level) AV amp with DD/DTS decoding. I have something around GBP300 in mind.

2. The upgrade will not add DD/DTS decoding but a 5.1 analog input only (or perhaps 5.0 only, depending on your amp/receiver model) using that DB25 connector you mention, i.e. you will also need an adapter cable from DB25 to RCAx6.

The optical (or coaxial) digital ouput carrying the DD/DTS bitstream is therefore of no use as you then still lack the decoding.
    Hence you would need a DVD player with decoder built in, but give the price of the mod I doubt that this is a sensible solution.

Given that off-board decoding (i.e. in the Av amp/receiver) is usually of better quality I would buy a new amp to go with the stand-alone DVD player where you then only need a digital output (for audio).

8. Zog

Zog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Reiner,

it's all falling into place now. I've doubled checked, and you are right. It only converts to enable amplification of an already decoded DD/DTS source.
    Though it would be 5.1 and it is complete with a gold plated IXOS lead. Total price would be £250.
    Then I've still got to get DVD with onboard decoder and accept a slight sacrifice in quality or buy an additional seperate decoder.

Its all very interesting though, and now I've found out a little more, the choice has become bigger still. Need to sit down with my bank statements and start from there I suppose!