1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Output from PC to DV question...

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Moog, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Moog

Moog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'allo

I've just bought my first DV cam ( YAY ) and am just starting to get to grips with it, so expect to get alot of pleas for help fom me in the next ..ohh let's say 5 years or so !

So, my first question is this. I've edited some test footage on my PC ( 1.4 Ghz, 512M Ram, 80G Drive space, Matrox MX400 geforce 2 graphics card. ) using Adobe Premier 6, which is all fine and fluffy.
    My problem is that when I export it back out to my cam ( panasonic nv-mx 350 btw ) it is a little jerky.
    My worry is that this is something to do with my video card, but i really don't want to buy a new one just yet.
    Is there something I'm missing ? Perhaps some miracle setting in the export section which I've not discovered? Obviously, I don't really want to do much in the way of major compression, but I guess MPEG2 is groovy - at the moment I just hit export to tape and it does it's thing without asking me what kinda settings I want, I'd like to think it knows what it's doing ;)

so, theres my firt little quandry... right, now to type up the next one :)

thanks for any help you can give an enthusiastic newbie -

Moog

2. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Usually this type of problem is a HDD performance problem, or conflict with background applications.

1. Make sure that the HDD is correctly set up. Select DMA in Device Manager, or if you are using an Intel 800 series chipset install the latest version of Intel Application Accelerator

2. Defrag HDD

3. Close ALL background applications - (probably the most likely cause)

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    As has already been said, close all unused programmes (ie antivirus etc.)
    An application that I use to do this called EndItAll is discribed and can be downloaded from http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1935,00.asp

Another thing to consider is getting a separate disk for your video footage. The read/write speeds can be slowed down by programmes trying to access the drive at the same time as video is being read/written causing dropped frames (jerky playback)

Good luck
    Mark.

4. Moog

Moog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey guys, thanks for your answers there.

I tried to download killitall, but for some reason it's just didn't like it and wouldn't download. Perhaps something to do with Win XP ?? Are there any similar programs?

I tried closing any and all background progs which I knew were not important, but it's still jerky :(

I'm gonna defrag my drives this evening and see what happens there, but in the meantime - any other ideas??

BTW, I do run all my footage from a seperate drive, so that's good! ( 7200 btw )

well, I'll let you know how i got on :)

Moog

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I just did a search for "enditall" from my ISP home page
    Try this and see how many returns you get (should be several)
    Try a couple and you should manage to get a copy. BTW, I downloaded it on an XP machine.

Mark.