Outlook Express Vs Windows Email

Azafran

Help please. I've just bought a mini PC called Acer L3600 running Vista. So far so good. I have three email accounts set up under my old XP software, one for me, one for my wife and one to pick up business emails.

With the old Outlook Express I could click on my name, enter my password and send or read emails. Likewise I could click on my business account and do the same. My wife could click on her name etc. All three BT accounts had different passwords and this system has worked smoothly for years.

We don't need separate identities because we have nothing to hide. My wife has both my password and the business password. If anything important pops up she gives me a call on my mobile and I act on the email.

We also have an employee that only knows the password for the business emails. With Vista it seems that all of the emails arrive in the same mailbox. The BT settings for all of the three accounts are the same, the only difference is the password for each account. What have I done wrong please, or am I missing something?

Can I copy Outlook Express from my XP PC and paste it into Vista on the new PC? This might solve my problem. Any advice would be greatfully received.

madhouse

to be honest in my opinion needing seperate identities has nothing to do with 'having nothing to hide' - the options for personalising different accounts is very flexible and is basically like having multiple computers.

My wife and daughter both also have accounts on my PC and laptop because they enjoy having their own desktop, mouse, display settings etc. - and also because it avoids the exact problem you have described regarding email management.

If you have all 3 account details setup on your system then providing the passwords have all been saved in the profiles the emails will be transferred and will go into the same inbox. You could potentially set up rules to move the emails into dedicated sub folders - I would use the option to move the email when sent to a certain email account. Then the emails will not land in the inbox but in the 3 subfolders (yours, your wifes and business) instead.

But if you have an employee with access to only one of the 3 accounts - I would really go with the option of creating 3 user profiles - or at least one for you and your wife (then use the subfolder option I mentioned) and one account for business purposes.

Hope this helps,

Simon

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
Can I copy Outlook Express from my XP PC and paste it into Vista on the new PC? This might solve my problem. Any advice would be greatfully received.
Export all the messages and contacts from Outlook Express and import them into Windows Mail.

Azafran

Thanks for the response so far. The old Outlook Express seemed to work fine, It was just a mouse click to swap from one email address to another. And it was password protected and secure enough. Vista seems to make this more complicated.

The other problem is that I don't have Outlook Express on the new PC so I can't export or import anything because it doesn't exist. Can I cut n paste on to a memory stick and load the old Outlook Express on to my new PC?

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
The other problem is that I don't have Outlook Express on the new PC so I can't export or import anything because it doesn't exist. Can I cut n paste on to a memory stick and load the old Outlook Express on to my new PC?
You won't be able to install Outlook Express on Vista, sorry.

The only route is to download and install Internet Explorer 6 (which includes OE), but that's not a good idea.

Have you considered Live Mail?

Last edited:

Azafran

Many thanks for that, I've downloaded LiveMail and will investigate further. It automatically imported our data from Windows Email and seems to have set itself up incorrectly because the only account that can receive emails is my wifes account. I've checked the settings and also on my BTConnect account.

Emails that were sent from my wifes account back to my account are sitting on the BT server but not being forwarded.

Once I've cracked this (hopefully) then I think this bit of software will solve the problems. Again, many thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom