1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outlook account settings export?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Kramer, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to export mail account settings from Outlook '02 (part of Office XP Pro)?

I know I can export mails (.pst) etc. but want to set up the exact same accounts (username/password/smtp/pop etc.) on another PC without having to manually input all that info - quite a few addys setup :(

It only seems to give options to import from Express.

Someone tell me it's a 30 second process, pleeeeeeeeease :)

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,894
    I don't think there's an option to do that mate - a big ommision IMHO. I've also had a look on the computer that I have Outlook 2003 on and there's no option there either

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John.

Big :thumbsdow for MS :(

Actually, was hoping to import the account settings into Outlook '03 :eek: - so many available options in that my head's spinning.

Oh well...............shouldn't take more than 2 hours to manually copy all the settings accross :(

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    IMHO Outlook makes the worst possible e-mail client, for this reason above nearly all others .. its' security holes being the topmost reason not to use it .. because as you're finding it makes moving from PC to PC a nightmare.

Unless a mail client lives in a single directory tree and stores nothing of importance in the registry I won't touch it. :nono:

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what do you recommend?

6. Ken

Ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    There is a long winded way to do this.
    Open Outlook Express and import your email settings into it, from Outlook; then export to a folder, which you can then load into your other PC; then import them into Outlook from that folder.
    Hope this helps.
    Ken

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    There are several candidates, the one I settled on some time back is Pocomail .. it has good scripting, nice junk filtering, before-you-download filtering etc. But best of all, there's just one directory tree to ZIP-up and move, the only thing it stores outside its' directory tree is the registration code in the Registry, which of course can also be stored away in a .TXT file where the .EXE is should you wish to move it.

Now I'm not saying it's the 'best' e-mail client, IMO there's no such thing as people's needs vary considerably, but I most definitely do say Outlook is pretty poor on most aspects of e-mail handling and control.

YMMV of course. :)

8. Epithet

Epithet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried copying the Outlook folder that contains the Outlook data into your new account. It is located at:

Documents and Settings/(USER)/Local Settings/Application Data/Microsoft/Oulook

(Local Settings is a hidden system file which you reveal by changing the folder viewing options).

I do this when ever I have to reload Windows after a severe crash. After copying this folder I find that Outlook opens with my old settings and data.

regards

Tony M

(Edited: 19:32 10/12/03 - Original path omitted "Documents and Settings")

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Isn't it nice the way Uncle Bill hides all the nasty complexity so users aren't confused and can use their PCs without worrying about technical details. :rolleyes:

Not sure though on a multi-user system like XP whether the user's GUID .. their magic 128-bit unique number .. may not be stored somewhere and cause problems.

10. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,894
    The last time I looked at Pocomail I'm sure that it could only import email accounts from Outlook Express ..... but I may be wrong !

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I haven't checked, though you're probably right because of M$' hostility to interoperability. :mad:

I would presume though if Kramer had to re-enter details into a new Outlook installation he'd do it for a different client knowing it'd be the last time he'd have to. ;)

12. TEK

TEK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    TEK, isn't that for OE and not the full Outlook software?

14. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried export to OE, didn't work :(

Have now done it manually (brought laptop to PC so not too bad - until I format again...whatever :().

OK, another question.

3 PCs + laptop connected through wireless gateway/switch, all with full e-mail access (all accounts setup on everything).

Is there any way of "pooling" where e-mails go so they can be accessed from any client PC without individually send/receiving?

If I say "leave copy on server", sometimes one machine will d/load duplicate e-mails (eventhough I've disabled duplicate download).

I've just exported (.pst) from all PCs so now all PCs have all e-mails/accounts, but as soon as I d/load a new e-mail to one PC, it won't d/load to any others (again, don't fancy leave copy on server).

Basically, can one PC be set to d/load all new e-mails (scheduled) with other client PCs being able to access the new mail from there?

:smoke:

15. Epithet

Epithet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I realise now that my earlier suggestion to copy the Outlook Folder goes only part way to addressing your original request. Although it gives access to all the oulook folders, Inbox, Sent, outbox, contacts etc, it does not contain the email account settings which have to be reset manually.

I have no experience of networking on my home system and therefore apologies if the following does not apply to your particular requirement. By experimenting with the location of the Outlook Folder I achieved the the following.

I moved the Outlook Folder of my main XP USer acount to an external hard drive. I then redirected the Microsoft Outlook on this main account to use the folder on the external drive as the location of its data file, ie. incoming and outgoing mail, contacts etc. I then created a new XP user account and after launching and closing Outlook for the first time, deleted the associated Outlook folder for this new account. When I next launced Outlook in the new account I redirected it to the Oulook folder on the external drive. Now both XP user accounts can send and receive emails and all the data - incoming, outgoing, contacts etc. - are stored in the Outlook Data file in the folder on the external hard drive. The "Data Management" window in both accounts confirms that they are sending and receiving messages into the same Outlook Data file on the external drive. I have not experienced problems with duplicate downloads etc.

I would have thought that the various PCs on your netwoork could also be redirected to use a single Outlook Folder. However, each PC would need to have the email account settings entered manually.

Regards

Tony M

16. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    The only problem with this one is that it (like everything except Outlook 2003) lets the spammers find if the email address is valid.

The way they work is that they include embeded images that are served from a remote web server. Each image has a unique tag so that when you view the email, it calls the image and bingo. The spammer knows that you have read the mail.

Outlook 2003 blocks this by default which means you can still read HTML emails but the pictures are not loaded until you authorise them (you can add the sender to a safe senders list).

You could of course choose to only open with plain test but this makes the a lot of the emails unreadable.

I must say that MS really have come up with a great anti spam measure here. Now if others would do the same spammers would soon be unable to find the valid addresses :clap: