Outlook 2010 recovery after partial HDD failure

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by fendershredder, Aug 4, 2013.

1. fendershredder

fendershredder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hello forum peoples :)

My windows 7 boot drive decided to be a massive douche this morning and refuse to boot, got stuck boot looping on startup repair due to registry faults... the circumstances are not truely relevant though.

Now I have installed Windows 7 to a new hard drive and have now connected my old Windows 7 installation to recover my emails. I can access the drive with ease this way (although it still won't boot on its own).

Now I have some PST files from a few weeks ago that I can access, but there are many other emails that are not in a backup yet, naturally I didn't know I was going to have a system fail and haven't backed up just before it happened, go figure :p

Now I'm assuming that Outlook MUST keep all emails somewhere, I've been through /users/app data folders and there doesn't seem to be much of anything.

I'm really at a loss here, any suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  2. SUMMONER

SUMMONER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +251
    Since Office 2010 Outlook has been keeping its PST files in a folder called Outlook Files in the Documents folder, have you had a look in there? It should contain 2 relevant files, outlook.pst and archive.pst.

Any emails received from a POP email account should be in the outlook.pst (recent emails) and archive.pst (old emails) files.
    Emails received from an IMAP/Exchange service, such a GMail and Microsoft's Outlook.com, are stored in separate .pst files. Importing those should not be necessary, as Outlook will automatically re-download them, once you add the relevant IMAP/Exchange email account.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013