Outlook 2007 taking hours to send emails

justabear

I'm helping a vulnerable/shileding person with an Outlook 2007 problem. It's taking a long time to send mail on their Windows 7 computer, using Outlook 2007.

He's receiving his email with no delays, but it is just taking so long for email to send.

For example, a short email that he sent at 8.57pm last night was marked by outlook as sent at 8.21am. He leaves his computer on over night just in case he needs to access help/support, etc and he's become worried that closing Outlook will mean nothing gets sent.

This has been going on for a couple of weeks now. It all started when he replied to emails, but Outlook stopped including the original messages.

I am using Windows 8 and Outlook 2007, with the same ISP email address but I have no problems.

What we have tried so far:

1. Trimming down his email box size, saving any large email attachments seperately and deleting them from the mail.
2. Changing the font to automatic for replies (suggested on internet).
3. Disabling Norton anti-spam feature (suggested on internet).

Any ideas what we should try next?

Thanks in advance you good, good, people.

A1944

You have not said where he is located or what ISP he is using.

I only ask because I have a friend in France with a Wanadoo email address and sometimes his mails take a very long time to reach me in the UK. When he uses his business Gmail address it is instant.

justabear

You have not said where he is located or what ISP he is using.

I only ask because I have a friend in France with a Wanadoo email address and sometimes his mails take a very long time to reach me in the UK. When he uses his business Gmail address it is instant.
He's using btinternet and both located in the UK.

next010

Distinguished Member
Try using the free version of emclient (limited to one account) and see if the problem persists, it might help narrow down the problem and see if its limited to outlook on his PC or all email clients on his PC.

justabear

Try using the free version of emclient (limited to one account) and see if the problem persists, it might help narrow down the problem and see if its limited to outlook on his PC or all email clients on his PC.
Will it confuse btmail if he starts downloading to more than one email client on his PC?

next010

Distinguished Member
Will it confuse btmail if he starts downloading to more than one email client on his PC?

No, so long as he's not using both at the same time and your installing it to see if it works sending email, if it works fine then its an option to move away from outlook 2007.

Kapkirk

He could also try Thunderbird, you can run multiple accounts at the same time, I moved to thunderbird 5 years ago because of so many issues with microsoft mail, I find it very easy to run 3 email addresses and no problems.

justabear

Thanks next010 and Kapkirk. Your suggestions are both welcome and helpful and if he feels comfortable with it then we can test out if it works fine with another email client.

What would be the next step if everything is fine with another client and there is no send delay? He will want to stay on Outlook 2007, until I can gently persuade him to upgrade to Windows 10.

If everything else is working fine (receiving mail/calendar/contacts) and it is just sending mail that's the problem then maybe the solution is in his Outlook settings? Or are we looking at re-installing outlook, changing the .pst file, or something else?

next010

Distinguished Member
Thanks next010 and Kapkirk. Your suggestions are both welcome and helpful and if he feels comfortable with it then we can test out if it works fine with another email client.

What would be the next step if everything is fine with another client and there is no send delay? He will want to stay on Outlook 2007, until I can gently persuade him to upgrade to Windows 10.

If everything else is working fine (receiving mail/calendar/contacts) and it is just sending mail that's the problem then maybe the solution is in his Outlook settings? Or are we looking at re-installing outlook, changing the .pst file, or something else?

If emclient works fine you can configure it to look like outlook 2007.
under settings->appearance layout/lists/toolbars can be moved around.

Also under settings->appearance->themes you can change the colour scheme, mystic and artic resemble the old outlook 2007.

Also there is a good windows 7 skin for window 10 via windowblinds so it will look just like whats he is accustomed to, if you want to demo that to him, using win7 is not such a good idea for an internet connected PC.

Diagnosing the problem with outlook wont be easy, your first step will be to turn on its internal troubleshoot log to try and see whats happening with the email then see if anything stands out.

If thats far too complex
1) back up all his email to .pst file and store on USB or elsewhere
2) uninstall outlook 2007
3) hunt down the remnants of outlook 2007 in the hidden username\appdata folder and delete them (enable hidden show files/folders)
4) reinstall outlook 2007 and hope that the purge succeeded then reimport data from .pst

justabear

1) back up all his email to .pst file and store on USB or elsewhere
2) uninstall outlook 2007
3) hunt down the remnants of outlook 2007 in the hidden username\appdata folder and delete them (enable hidden show files/folders)
4) reinstall outlook 2007 and hope that the purge succeeded then reimport data from .pst
Thanks. I got him in the habit of backing up his. .pst file on a portable hard drive some time ago.

It looks a good bet that uninstaling, deleting what was there and reinstalling looks like a less complex way to go forward.

Just last night he sent an email that only had a 10 minute delay - looks promising. Has now made me wonder if its a BT mail problem, but then why is he able to receive with no delay?

I forgot to mention in the OP that around the same time the delay to send started there was an issue with Outlook not showing the text of the original email in his reply. This resolved itself after a short while but I note it is missing in some of his replies every now and again.

I chatted with him this morning about it and we've booked in some time to discuss the issues and possible resolutions. As we are both on the same ISP, I will also compare our settings over the phone and see if this sheds any light on things. I will also check he doesn't have delay email settings switched on or anything.

The good news is that thanks to help on here, we have a few steps to try out.

justabear

Different servers.
Thanks. Your comment prompted me to start an online support chat with his isp and they want him to try logging into his web based email to see if he can send/receive from there with no delay. So we can try that alongside trying a different email client later. The chat assistant supplied us with the settings so it should not be onerous (wishful thinking perhaps) to test out his mail with another email client.

justabear

Thanks. Your comment prompted me to start an online support chat with his isp and they want him to try logging into his web based email to see if he can send/receive from there with no delay.
Good evening folks,

I can confirm that logging into his web-based email sends single emails instantly and is received within the minute.

I can confirm that when he replies to an email when picked up on his web-based email it replies instantly with the original text intact.

He just tried the same on Outlook 2007 for the reply emails and got the following error message:

..."sending reported error (0x8004210b) the operation timed out waiting for a response from smtp server..."

Eventually it sends the email after one or two attempts at send/receive - can take a while/hours.

I found this online: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...r-outlook-express-a46ddb77-640f-3e6a-8f35-6fe

Has anyone come across similar error messages before? Was it End of Days type stuff to fix? Did you just move to a different email client?

Thanks lovely people

Kapkirk

Before you start deleting and re-installing stuff has he tried alternative outgoing "port" in the outlook settings? I think I remember something where I had to change it myself and it cured the problem. Also make sure that any firewall is not blocking those ports associated with Outlook.
There is a guide on how to do that here. Outlook 2007 authenticated SMTP mail relay (alternate SMTP port) setup

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom