Quantcast

Outlet Holes and Speaker Brackets - Puzzle!

OJW99

Novice Member
Hoping to find a genius out there who can help with my problem.

For some reason the speaker wires for the 5 surround speakers, come out of an electrical outlet sides hole eg. Massive holes in my wall. patching up the holes will look pretty rough and be expensive I think. Is there anythign out there that would allow me to mount a speaker using the exiting outlet placed screw holes or even somethign that lets me mount my speaker over outlet covers some how. Basically I want to mount my speakers and cover these holes but can't find any solution but I canot be the only person to have ever encountered this - I hope!

Grateful of any ideas anyone may have!. Thanks folks.
1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

John7

OK, here's my suggestion.....

I'll preface by suggesting that the existing wall box/plastic plate will not (in my opinion) be strong enough to support a speaker.

I would carefully remove the back box, minimising damage to the existing wall finish.

Get a piece of 12mm plywood to the width of the intended speaker bracket and add a bit for overlap of say, 15-20mm each side. The length of the plywood should be the height of the wall opening plus 50mm each side. Secure the ply to the wall using 2 or 3 screws top and bottom through the wall and into the ply. Don't fix too close to the edge of the ply as the plasterboard will crack and split.

Cut another piece of ply (I'm assuming the plasterboard is standard thickness of 12mm) to fill in the gap between the noggin and the front face of the wall. Fix this to the noggin with a screw through the centre.

Get a sheet of brushed aluminium plate (or some other decorative material of your choice) to cover the whole area of the repair including the noggin fixing screws. Fix your speaker bracket by drilling through the decorative plate into the wooden noggin behind. Use screws long enough to go through the faceplate, make-up spacer and into the noggin.

I've attached a sketch of the idea....hope it helps!

Attachments

OJW99

Novice Member
OK, here's my suggestion.....

I'll preface by suggesting that the existing wall box/plastic plate will not (in my opinion) be strong enough to support a speaker.

I would carefully remove the back box, minimising damage to the existing wall finish.

Get a piece of 12mm plywood to the width of the intended speaker bracket and add a bit for overlap of say, 15-20mm each side. The length of the plywood should be the height of the wall opening plus 50mm each side. Secure the ply to the wall using 2 or 3 screws top and bottom through the wall and into the ply. Don't fix too close to the edge of the ply as the plasterboard will crack and split.

Cut another piece of ply (I'm assuming the plasterboard is standard thickness of 12mm) to fill in the gap between the noggin and the front face of the wall. Fix this to the noggin with a screw through the centre.

Get a sheet of brushed aluminium plate (or some other decorative material of your choice) to cover the whole area of the repair including the noggin fixing screws. Fix your speaker bracket by drilling through the decorative plate into the wooden noggin behind. Use screws long enough to go through the faceplate, make-up spacer and into the noggin.

I've attached a sketch of the idea....hope it helps!
Hi John

thank you so much for the thought and time you out into this. I’m going to look out now for the right sized metal pieces!

thank you. OJW

Top Bottom