1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outer Limits ('90s Version) - Good news!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by the_pauley, Sep 22, 2005.

1. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    At last, after attempting to foist individual discs with "themed" collections of episodes on to us, MGM in the USA have relented and announced the release of The Outer Limits (the '90s colour series) in complete season by season box sets.

First set due Oct/Nov on R1.

This is the result of a well organized petition to MGM and (more to the point) an even better organized boycott of the individual disc releases. Proof that it works guys. :smashin:

2. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Great news - I never did see the point of the original releases. Now if only they could sort out Twin Peaks Season 2.......................... :(

3. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i got the original "best of" box set from dvdsoon for about £10 several months ago, and was a bit underwhelmed by a lot of the episodes.. if these were truly the "best of" then i'm not sure if i'd be too interested in the others, but it's good to see a distributor listening to the fans for a change.

Incidentally, the PQ on the original DVD's was hideous, and was even accompanied by a disclaimer stating that the picture quality is inferior to that of a normal dvd because of the condition of the source material. I wonder if they'll be remastering these sets..

4. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    The "Best of..." sets were produced by Koch International licensed by MGM. No idea where they sourced their prints from.

Hopefully as these new sets are coming directly from MGM we will get superior quality discs.

5. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    was it the outer limits which had a story about small alien/scorpion type creatures, I think they were called 'sand kings' - I enjoyed that one very much.

6. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Yes with Jeff and Beau Bridges - IIRC it was the opening episode of Season 1.

7. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    thanks, :smashin:
    I found that story rather scary :rolleyes:

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,211
    It was not Jeff but Lloyd Bridges who along with Beau Bridges were in the first story, he is Jeff and Beau father.

9. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    There's some great stuff in this series. One of my favourites was the time travel story with Amanda Plummer. Just like the '80s revival of The Twilight Zone, this is a worthy successor to the original Outer Limits.

10. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Sorry my bad - you are right, it was Lloyd, my excuse is I haven't seen it since they issued in on VHS back in 96 or 97 I think ? I'll have to get round to watching the box sets I got last year some time :)

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Seem to recall a impressive appearence from Alyssa Milano in the first season, won't be the first time I have bought a DVD just to marvel at her abilities :blush:

12. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,211
    Yes one of mine as well.
    I did enjoy the other time travel story even better, of the consentration camp.

I did not think the series deserved the title of The Outer Limts as the original stories were more rounded and had satisfactory conclusions, where as the new series endings went more for shock and more in keeping with the Twilight Zone.
    The even altered the ending of an original series story, which if thought about was a really stupid ending. SPOILER it was Nightmare where they conned a crew they were on an other planet with a bomb to wipe it out, but they only started the bomb of on Earth. :thumbsdow Now who in there right mind would do that it was totally stupid but they just use it for a mean spirited ending.