Outdoor Wifi Extender

shaynemawer

Hi, am looking at extending my wifi to receive a strong signal to run a firestick on a tv in a newly built gazebo. am looking at probably 100-150ft from where i can place the extender to the gazebo.

am currently on virgin media m200 broadband with the superhub 3 and.

seen the tp link N300 wireless outdoor and the tp link eap225 and was wondering if any of these would be suitable and work with the existing superhub 3
?

rpr

How are you powering the TV. Does the gazebo have power sockets? If so maybe powerline with built in wifi

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Any Wi-Fi Access Point (AP) will "work" with any other Wi-Fi AP - you don't have to "worry" that they are somehow "compatible." In a heterogeneous mix of equipment, the AP's don't in any way "talk" to each other (they don't even "know" any other AP's exist.)

In enterprise and so-called "mesh" systems the AP's do talk to each other to do things like pre-stage the roaming hand off, agree a channel plan and so one (there's no definition of what a "mesh" system is, so you'd need to check the specs) and in such cases you usually have to buy from a specific manufacturers and a specific product range. If you don't presently have one, they you don't need to worry.

There's nothing particularly "special" about and "outdoor" AP - it's just an AP like any other, though it may be ruggedised to cope with being out in the weather and in the 5GHz waveband there's a few restrictions on transmit power and channel use that don't apply indoors. Some AP's have options/designs so that the actual AP electronics can be kept indoors, but the antenna can be detached and mounted externally on a set of fly leads.

100-150ft might be pushing the limits a bit for omni-direction antenna. A point-to-point (so called) "Wi-Fi Bridge" might be a better option. They use a pair of devices each side of the link often with some form of more directional antenna pointing to each other.

Outdoors foliage can be a problem - Wi-Fi hates anything wet or metal and as trees and so forth grow up they can get in the way.

oneman

These are around £60 on Amazon, The 1KM is HIGHLY optimistic but I am getting around 100mbps with these at a range of 150ft across a couple of gardens but that is with both of them indoors at a window pointed at each other. They are IP66 rated so can outside and would probably improve performance slightly. The also support PoE so no need for a outdoor power point if using Ethernet and they do support bridging WiFi but I've got them connected with Ethernet.

"KuWFi Outdoor Wireless Access Point, 2-Pack 900Mbps Long Range Indoor&Outdoor Point-to-Point Wireless CPE Supports 1KM Transmission Distance Solution for PTP, PTMP"

D

Deleted member 24354

OK a couple of things here. Outdoor APs are actually very different from indoor APs due to their aerial configuration. The radiation patterns are quite planar and therefore have better lateral patterns compared to indoor APs, which have a more vertical figure 8. Outdoors tend to have a more horizontal figure 8 if that makes sense. You can also tune the aerials on many outdoor APs to give you more coverage in certain directions. I install a lot of the Ubiquiti Mesh-APs which are very similar to the TP Links and 100ft is nothing for these APs. I have APs operating non-LOS at 3x that distance in gardens streaming Netflix HD without any stuttering. It’s just a case of siting them correctly and adjusting the aerials. All mine are cabled back to a switch or router. Don’t mount them too high, Head height is fine. Start with the rabbit ears vertical and see how that goes. If the signal is weak bend them 45 degrees. If that doesn’t help rotate the bent bit 90 degrees. You need a bit of trial and error with these.

oneman

Ubiquiti are nice and great performance but not cheap and for a newbie they are complex to setup.

rc789

I run a velop 3 node system in bridged mode with main node in front room, an attached garage conversion and the conservatory. All are based downstairs. The conservatory allows WiFi to the garden shed which is about 18 metres away with only the glass and wood in between. It’s around -70 RSSI. It may yield better results in router mode but I have issues with UPnP that way so use them as access points only

mickevh

Distinguished Member
"Router mode" would have no effect of the radio signals - that will be same whether you run router or AP. The differences will be in how the traffic is handled once it's off the the RF airwaves and "inside the box" so to speak. Indeed a SOHO Wi-Fi "router" is a single box containing both an AP and a router (and more besides,) - the AP kind of "hands off" the traffic to the routing engine once it's done with it (and vice-versa.)

Though a lot of kit now implements all this functionality as a "system on a chip," logically you can think of it as separate "blocks" within one physical box. Attached to the "Using Two Routers Together" FAQ pinned in this forum is a a block diagram of what's going on inside a typical SOHO router (minus a modem) and how the blocks connect together. In big enterprise networks, all this functionality can and often is implemented as separate devices.

"Routing" and "bridging" (the latter is what an AP does) in terms of traffic handling are different processes. Technically routing is a bit computationally slower than bridging, but unless you are a nerd with a lab environment and the motivation to measure it, you'd be hard pressed to "notice" the difference in day to day for a SOHO use case.

shaynemawer

So, just a quick follow up.

Firstly, thank you for all the info and help. Had a couple of powerline adapters spare and despite going through 2 RCD (house and shed) they work absolutely fine. I've used an old android box for a few times whilst been working outside and despite been ancient it's ran perfect with no buffer. So am all good and setup for the summer...... just got to wait for that 1 week summer now.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom