1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outdoor table tennis tables

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dr Diversity, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We are planning to get one. Argos will deliver for about £300 (with a free table :) ). Kettler do a similar price but not sure about delivery cost.

Does anyone have any experience of such devices?

Thanks

Dr D

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,405
    Yeah, they work best if your garden has REALLY high walls... :D

3. m1ck

m1ck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are useless outdoor because of the wind. Believe me you wont get a good game in unless there is absolutely no wind :(

4. keiths

keiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm afraid I have to agree. A table tennis ball weighs 2.7 grammes. Even the slightest breeze plays havoc with it. I play every week at a club where we have space for 2 tables indoors. We have a third table and we thought it would be good to use it outdoors on nice evenings. We only bothered the once.

5. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Squash balls are the same size and weigh much more, perhaps you could play with one of those instead. ;) .

6. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Yes. You will need two bats, a net and some ping pong balls. First to 21 from recollection.

Hope this helps.

Pete.

7. keiths

keiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First to eleven these days Pete, with service changing every two points (except at ten all where service alternates every point, two clear points required to win).

8. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really? I am from the first to 21 school, changing serves every five points, then two points clear.

9. keiths

keiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, they (the I.T.T.F) changed the rules in 2002. They also made the ball bigger (40mm as opposed to 38mm) and outlawed all services where the receiver's view of the ball is obscured (deliberately or otherwise) by the server's arm, body etc.

We still play first to 21, change server every five sometimes at the club for old time's sake!

Full official rules at http://www.megaspin.net/rules/pdf/2004-2005/ittf-rules-all.pdf

10. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I have to say I'm one of the old guard. I like the new ball size, it makes for better defending, but prefer playing up to 21. As I'm a slow starter, the new rules to 11 don't really agree with me.

As for playing outdoors, I recall that playing outside abroad is quite popular in some countries. In France I played on concrete tables with metal nets. And I recall playing outside in Switzerland as well. It helps if the weather is good though. For English weather I can only recommend an indoor table.

And for everybody out there it's Table Tennis NOT! Ping Pong just in case anybody thinks of using that term :)

11. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have to agree that outdoor table tennis here just doesn't work. I used to play league table tennis (before the change to the scoring system) and also had my own outdoor table but very rarely used it.

I believe you can buy heavier balls (...snigger...) for outdoor play if you're not concerned with it being "proper" table tennis.

12. keiths

keiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure you know this, but originally the game was called Ping Pong by everybody, but then Parker Brothers registered that name as a trade mark in the USA and demanded money off everyone who sold equipment etc. So a 'new' identical game was invented - Table Tennis.

13. keiths

keiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too start very slowly, but actually prefer the new scoring. Under the old system, if I lost the toss for service, I would often find myself 5-0 down with almost 25% of the game gone before I got the chance to peg a few points back on my serve. Now with first to eleven scoring, at worst I'm only 2-0 down before I get to serve - thats less than 20% of the game lost. Probably only a psychological differece, but I seem to win more games now with the new scoring than I did with the old. And playing with a 38mm ball seems so strange now!

14. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I have to agree it makes for more exciting games. I used to play in the local league when it was still up to 21. Then stopped playing for a while and have only played up to 11 in practice games. If it makes the sport more attractive then I think it can only be a good thing and if it means earlier nights then that's another plus (under the old rules we used to start at 7pm and finish at about 11pm). Where I play we used to have 7 leagues and now we only have 5. I think this decline is pretty much mirrored around the country. At least we still have teams of 3 players. In other parts of the country where I've played they have only 2 players in a team.

It's a shame because it's a really fun sport to play. Because of the spin there's a lot of subtlety in the play. I have to say, being an attacking player, it's really fun playing against defensive players. The problem with Table Tennis is that it's got an image problem - it's something where you play a few games on holiday but never follow through on it. And when I used to tell people my main sport was Table Tennis I always got a few disbelieving stares.

15. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really, I can't believe that :rotfl: