outdoor speakers in covered area

dbaplaya

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a covered shower proof gazebo. Im after some speakers in there, I already have some Bose 251's on the patio but while they are very good they are also pricey. Was thinking of some Mission LX1's, you can pick these up for around £70. Maybe bring them in in the winter. Other than that JBL do some outdoor speakers based on the Control 1 for around £270. Any thoughts please.
Thanks

How do you want to use them?(bluetooth, fed from cd player to amp etc, somethimg else)

I'd probably just get a bluetooth transmitter and 2 JBL flip 3s or Ultimate ear booms, basically water resistant speakers that pair together (2 or more) to get the sound I wanted. Otherwise get the jbls mentioned above. The problem with mission or any conventional speakers is dampness/humidity will destroy them over time even if direct rainfall doesn't touch them

Edit- if amp has a tape out loop or a zone 2 you could run one cable into the aux of the speakers mentioned above also

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Normal domestic speakers aren’t really designed for outdoors use. You’ll get things crawling in through the port and nesting, and bits that are flying around in the air will be getting into them too, including moisture. They’ll be fine if you put them out there for the time you’re sitting out there, but leaving them out overnight will more than likely do long term damage to them.

https//www.thelittleaudio.company/monitor-audio-climate-speakers

The new Monitor Audio Vecta is designed for indoor or outdoor use too:

the little audio company / audio visual consultant / birmingham

Also don't outdoor speakers generally have a wider dispersion of sound than indoor speakers.

At the price point you won’t go too far wrong with a pair of JBL Control 1’s. Full plastic enclosure fairly weather resistant. I am doing exactly the same as yourself, adding speakers under a gazebo, fed from zone2 of an AV amp.
Dedicated outdoor speakers are pretty expensive for what is IMHO a pretty mediocre sound.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom