outdoor soundbar for tailgating

jrschatz

Novice Member
Hello All --

I have a question I hope someone can explain before I go and buy another soundbar and waste money....

We have an RV we use for football tailgating. For several years, I have been using a Klipsch SB-1 soundbar with wireless bass for music, and it does the job really well --- the music is plenty loud enough and the bass is great. I use an apple airplay & iPhone to supply the music.

Now, the problem comes when we turn the music off and turn on a tv to watch football -- the soundbar just cannot amplify the TV enough to be able to hear. It is nowhere near as loud as the music... and this is true with multiple different TVs we have tried.

Before I go and try another soundbar -- is there something I should be looking for to make sure I get enough TV amplification? Any recommendations?

TIA!

Jamie

Distinguished Member
How are you connecting the TV to the soundbar? A quick Google suggests it only has optical and RCA inputs as it's a bit too old to support HDMI ARC.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
TBH I wouldn't necessarily expect the line le els on your Apple device (presumably an airport express of some sort) to be that different to a TV so I'm not sure. I wouldn't expect low sound levels with a TV using ARC.

If you try using optical again are there any settings on your TV for the output format, it will probably have options for PCM/stereo or surround (or maybe others) it might be worth checking what the current settings are, it might make a difference.

jrschatz

Novice Member
Hmm good question -- thanks I will check.

Could the issue have to do with using the 1/4" audio jack on the tvs which, I'm assuming is supposed to be used for headphones?

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom