Outdoor paint job streaking after rain

tigermad

Distinguished Member
A few weeks ago we painted out garage/workshop wooden doors in zinsser all coat water based satin. Went on great and is lovely stuff. We did a few coats. We have a problem though that whenever it has rained the doors go all streaky and patchy in parts and looks quite a mess. If I wipe with a damp cloth all over the door the patches go away and the door looks fine until it rains again. It’s like the rain is reacting with the paint somehow. Has anyone ever had this before? I will try and get a pic next time.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Did you paint directly onto bare wood? If so, did you apply knotting and primer before painting? If onto old paint, did you properly prepare the surface (removal of debris, light sand, wipe down etc)?

As it's an exterior paint, rain shouldn't effect the finish any, so that's ruled out.

My thoughts right now are - you didn't do a very good job of painting. The blurb states minimum 1 hour between coats and a full week to fully cure. Did you follow the blurb?

pics would help though.

nheather

Distinguished Member
This type of paint doesn’t need a sealant supposedly. It’s an all coat.
But then again it shouldn’t streak in the rain - it’s an outdoor all coat. So clearly something isn’t playing by the rules.

Is this acrylic? In general I like acrylics but they can sometimes be intolerant of what you paint on or any contamination.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

tigermad

Distinguished Member
Did you paint directly onto bare wood? If so, did you apply knotting and primer before painting? If onto old paint, did you properly prepare the surface (removal of debris, light sand, wipe down etc)?

As it's an exterior paint, rain shouldn't effect the finish any, so that's ruled out.

My thoughts right now are - you didn't do a very good job of painting. The blurb states minimum 1 hour between coats and a full week to fully cure. Did you follow the blurb?

pics would help though.
Thanks. We left the doors well over an hour before the second coat. Door was painted before so this went over the old paint. Which is fine to do according to the instructions. Will grab a photo next time. It’s weird looking patches because it’s just lighter grey areas that just looks like wet paint. The doors are painted anthracite. It’s strange how it gets better when wiped over with a damp cloth.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Is the paint that you painted over acrylic or traditional oil-based?

Some acrylics can behave unexpectedly.

Last year I painted two bedrooms, same paint, same preparation. I filled wall cracks in the corners with the same brand of decorators filler, but a different tube in each room. Same can of paint. In one bedroom the paint covered the filler beautifully, on the other it crazed over. I tried multiple coats and each one crazed. The only difference was different tubes of the same filler, bought from the same place within days of each other. It’s a mystery.

Cheers,

Nigel

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
Are you sure it's not simply an optical effect?

Many types of surface seem to change colour when wet. You say it looks streaky at first, but goes away when you wipe with a damp cloth. It sounds to me that the streaks are possibly relatively deep runs or drips which act as mirrors or prisms.

Unfortunately, if this is the case, there's not much you can do about it. Have you asked the manufacturers?

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
I think it is nothing more than an optical effect, I see it on my newly laid DPM shed roofing and when seeing it for the first time was a little concerned. Sun came out roof dried and it looked as it should.

tigermad

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the replies. Was there again tonight. Will phone the paint peeps tomorrow. Side door was painted at same time and is fine not sure what’s happening here.

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
Does it dry okay after it gets wet?

Me, I don't trust 'one coat' paint, even Zinsser (which is bloody good stuff).

I'd be tempted to give it a 2nd coat. Could be a patchy coat and a 2nd coat would sort it out.

tigermad

Distinguished Member
Does it dry okay after it gets wet?

Me, I don't trust 'one coat' paint, even Zinsser (which is bloody good stuff).

I'd be tempted to give it a 2nd coat. Could be a patchy coat and a 2nd coat would sort it out.
Hi. It already has 2 coats. It’s not a 1 coat system it all coat because you can paint over anything. Going to give it a few more weeks and recoat if still the same. It is a paint colour that was mixed specially. Maybe we didn’t mix the pot properly and it’s the various additives causing it?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom