Outdoor lighting motion sensor but not after specific time!

Ross Martin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

We are looking to get some lights on the front of our house that we would like to come on when it starts to get dark, but not after a specific time such as 23:00.

I know this is do-able with Philips Hue lights, but as the better half would like 7/8 up and down lights, this would come in at almost £1000 with the Philips Hue Motion Sensor and Hub. Which at the moment is too much! The up and down lights she likes are £180 +bulbs.

Does anyone know the best way to achieve this?

Many thanks in advance

Ross

Do you want each bulb to be controlled separately or will they all be on one or two circuits ?

Hi,

The lights take GU10 Leds, but if they are anything like our other up and down lights at the back of the house smart bulbs won’t fit!

The lights she would like are these ones

I would like them all to be on one circuit ideally!

Many thanks

Ross

A simple timer or programmable smart switch is all you need. Our pond pump and outdoor socket circuit is switched off over night using a basic immersion heater timer which cost me £12 from Amazon. Just have this wired upstream of light feed and motion sensor.

At £180 per light fitting, the cost really isn't the Philips Hue bulbs. You can get multipacks in white for just £89 for 8 bulbs. About half the cost of one light. Or get a starter pack with the free hub if you haven't got Philips Hue yet.

It is easy, works very well, and at least follows the 'sun' properly for switching them on at variable times, and you can easily have them auto switch off or have other triggers...

I really don't think the cost is with hue...And Black Friday is coming up. It will be even cheaper...

It is £180 for all eight lights. The Philips Hue lights are £130 each!

It is £180 for all eight lights. The Philips Hue lights are £130 each!
Aha sorry I misread that. I thought it was £180 per fitting and you were looking for separate bulbs not use the Philips outdoor lights. We just put Philips bulbs in other fittings outside.

You just need to wire them to a dusk/dawn switch, assuming you want them on all night. Otherwise you can get one that's PIR activated, so will only come on with movement. That's what I have.

Edit
From the same supplier as the fixtures you linked to:

Last edited:
If all on one circuit not much point in having smart individual bulbs better to have the circuit smart hence the £9 Shelly module . The app allows for timers or dusk till dawn .

Add a motion sensor as well and you have smart outside lights for under £50

Thanks Seb and everyone else, I’ll have a look at the Shelly module as that sounds like the best idea!

My up/down decent quality outdoor lights are £10 each from Screwfix (10 in total), with 4 £10 Shelly 1’s controlling them.

Hue is for people with more money than sense. I don’t think many people who have got seriously into home automation waste their money on Hue stuff, you can do so much more for so much less if your prepared to do a tiny bit of research.

Just my opinion of course.

My up/down decent quality outdoor lights are £10 each from Screwfix (10 in total), with 4 £10 Shelly 1’s controlling them.

Hue is for people with more money than sense. I don’t think many people who have got seriously into home automation waste their money on Hue stuff, you can do so much more for so much less if your prepared to do a tiny bit of research.

Hope you are ready for the flak 😀

To me it is about the quality of the light as much as anything. Philips really understands that part.

Indeed, I use a lot of Philips Master lamps because out of the competition they tend to have the highest CRI (Colour Rendering Index). 90 or above is good.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom