Outdoor furniture restoration

GTeng

Looking for some advice please, I bought a weathered hardwood outdoor table and chairs.

I’ve cleaned it all down and gave it a good scrub, even took the pressure washer to it and it cleaned up nicely.

I used Cuprinol colour restorer gel and it looked great while it was wet, but dried quite faintly. Then I used Cuprinol clear stain as I don’t want to darken it down to oak/mahogany colours or paint it a different colour entirely.
While this looks nice in parts and exactly how I want it to look, other parts are very patchy.
Any ideas on how to resolve?

Thanks in advance 😁
22DCF829-BC8B-4419-A520-DD898DB21B04.jpeg

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Did you treat it while it was wet? Probably should’ve sanded it before applying a treatment. I sanded mine down last year and then used teak oil. Worked really well.

GTeng

No I left it to dry after I cleaned it, and left it to dry after the Cuprinol gel. I gave it a light sand before I stained it. I used teak oil on a spare chair I’ve got and it didn’t seem to do much so went with the stain.

Dony

Distinguished Member
Bumping this to see if you did anything further. I've a very similar outdoor table and chairs that could do with a freshen up.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Bumping this to see if you did anything further. I've a very similar outdoor table and chairs that could do with a freshen up.
Might be specific to your furniture. For mine, I sanded and oiled with teak oil. Came up like new. Sanding was the pain in the ass bit!

Dony

Distinguished Member
Might be specific to your furniture. For mine, I sanded and oiled with teak oil. Came up like new. Sanding was the pain in the ass bit!

I can imagine the sanding being a pain. I've no sander so will be doing it by hand. I'm not too fazed by the table, but there's 10 chairs to go with it. I suppose I'll start with the table and see how that goes.
Probably a job for early next spring.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
I can imagine the sanding being a pain. I've no sander so will be doing it by hand. I'm not too fazed by the table, but there's 10 chairs to go with it. I suppose I'll start with the table and see how that goes.
Probably a job for early next spring.
I did it by hand too. My mouse sander, or whatever they are called, was rubbish.
I never did complete all chairs... :(

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom