Outbuilding dedicated cinema room 7.4.6

Harkon321

What have you got around your projector - in one of the last pictures? Looks like cork or chipboard

mb3195

Distinguished Member
What have you got around your projector - in one of the last pictures? Looks like cork or chipboard
Acoustic foam, it’s reduces the noise of the PJ to make it almost inaudible.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Yes mate almost everything has changed apart I think from the Arendals ! That is without the extra additions.
I had a demo with the trinnov and it was pretty impressive.
Yes mate I’d love to come over when things have calmed down a bit, see how much I need to spend 😳.
The spec on the new subs do look good I’m not sure I need any more bass though!
Cheers Richard :) Haha in Al’s words a F113 would blow the window’s out never mind a Gotham :rotfl:
I'm sure many of us would love to. Obviously you don't want loads of people having to drive the whole length of the country, so it would probably be best to move your room to somewhere central (eg Birmingham) for the day.
Hey sure. I’d love to see how good the system sounds. If I recall you’re Cambridge way ?
Well it is a 'shed' after all, so stick it on the back of a tractor like they do with static caravans :laugh:
"I’m contemplating hosting a forum day once lockdown is over. Do you think people would be interested in coming?"

So long as you don't mind me taking 100s of photos of joins etc on the building and making lots of notes before I start on mine 😁
Might be up for a journey to see your wooden shack :rotfl:

I've got some friends in MK that I'd like to see so could combine the two to make the longer journey worth it!
You want me to travel the length of the country to see a "SHED"? o_O:eek:

If the "poison dwarf" lifts travel restrictions add my name to the list.
Open day thread created:

Harkon321

Hi again,

Just rereading your thread again looking for ideas to solve a problem with my room.

The windows you covered with internal shutters. Are they fixed closed or is it possible to open those shutters should you want to. They obviously do a good job at keep the noise from getting out, as well as the light getting in.

I'd had to add an additional door to my planned room as an emergency exit (Building Control) but it is right in the way of my left rear surround. Wondering if I can get a window instead and do something similar with a shutter, which could be opened in an emergency and have exit via the window.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Hi again,

Just rereading your thread again looking for ideas to solve a problem with my room.

The windows you covered with internal shutters. Are they fixed closed or is it possible to open those shutters should you want to. They obviously do a good job at keep the noise from getting out, as well as the light getting in.

I'd had to add an additional door to my planned room as an emergency exit (Building Control) but it is right in the way of my left rear surround. Wondering if I can get a window instead and do something similar with a shutter, which could be opened in an emergency and have exit via the window.
Yes mate, the window shutters do open, they sit completely flush with my wall and have foam strips on them to stop any light bleed.

Harkon321

Are you still using the Marantz 8805? I’m sure I saw you mention considering front wides, running 9.4.6.
Doesn’t the Marantz only do 13 channels?

Harkon321

Oh yea forgot about that. First page needs updating (again). 😂

Holy s**t I just googled how much that is.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Yeah, cheaper than I was expecting too. Mark's been explaining to me how small rooms like ours benefit from a more dead sounding room, with more speakers, so I'm planning to go for the 32 channel Trinnov. Hopefully Mark will join me.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Yeah, cheaper than I was expecting too. Mark's been explaining to me how small rooms like ours benefit from a more dead sounding room, with more speakers, so I'm planning to go for the 32 channel Trinnov. Hopefully Mark will join me.
Why stop at 32 when you can go all the way up to 48?

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Oh yea forgot about that. First page needs updating (again). 😂

RRP on my projector is actually more 😱

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Maybe I need to send Arendal and updated Kit List and some new photos, the last ones are over a month old! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Owl40

A big thanks to Mark (mb3195) for his time, super conversation and hospitality yesterday. I spent 4 hours doing a social distanced demo of his system, it has changed my perception of what is possible in a dedicated room.

Audio within the visual

It might be useful for other forum members to get some background on my journey in hifi and av. My background since being a teenager was focused on hifi. I have had all types of high-end equipment from huge valve monoblocks, to electrostatic speakers, streamers from Linn and a DAC from Chord. Therefore, I have quite strong views on how I want my home cinema to sound overtime. I’m now starting to upgrade my dedicated home cinema room and want to take my time and to take deliberate steps on my journey to home cinema heaven. What I am looking for in terms of audio is the combination of startling dynamic ability and the ability for the speakers to cast a wide, deep and high soundstage. I have listened to a lot of hifi speakers in my time and all have different strengths and weaknesses, and it is a matter of finding the trade offs that suit you as a person. @mb3915’s set up is the first home cinema set up I’ve heard that has all of the following audio traits:

- startling transient dynamics across the full-range
- bass which is fully integrated, is startlingly quick and tight, but also conveys tonality, differentiation and warmth in the 60-140hz range.
- Body and warmth to male voices in particular that sound utterly convincing and super clear.
- Top end that is never strident at all.
- a soundstage that not only is deep, wide, but most noticeably is high. My guess is that this is a combination of the waveguide tweeter in the Arendal LCR speakers and the ability of the Trinnov to occupy a sense of deep space in panning between main bed and height speakers.

I haven’t listened to the components separately to have an absolute handle on what contributes to these attributes, But I can make an educated guess that the speaker design and the Trinnov play a big part in the above. The bass integration was stunning, I’m sure the 1hz adjustments in the crossover settings is again an important factor here.

The soundstage height was a revelation, and it wasn’t far off high-end full range hybrid electrostatic designs that I have heared and/or owned in the past which are helped by the fact that they are 6ft high sometimes! I am sure the waveguide tweeter here is a factor. Some of the high frequency spatial sounds in Interstellar and Gravity seemed like they were as high as or beyond the ceiling at times.

Video

This is where I am less experienced. I have a 4K Epson TW7400 which I am happy with, until yesterday! I haven’t seen many high end projectors, maybe a JVC one once in a demo earlier this year. The Sony laser projector delivers the most solid, stable, fine detailed image I have seen in a home setting. There was beautIful gradations in different dark colours. You could instantly tell the fabrics on the clothes actors were wearing, this makes watching a film like Blade Runner 2049 or Le Mans 66 a different experience. I was thinking that Is a nice weave of fabric on Enzo’s suit there. Rather than Enzo has a dark charcoal suit on. Mark demonstrated the difference the Lumagen makes on 4K images. Essentially the difference is night and day. Skin tones and details are more realistic, the transition between dark and light parts of an image have more detail and texture. This presents an image which looks more authentic and with a sense of depth. On Gravity and Interstellar the specular highlights were highly impressive and again a different kind of experience to other projectors I have seen.

Room specificity

I had my dedicated building made 16 months ago. It is a hardiplank building very similar to Mark’s. Originally I was going to house a high-end hifi system in it with the AV part being an afterthought. I was sensible enough to put wiring in for 4 atmos speakers, but I didn’t really think about light control. I’m now only going down the home cinema route, and I kick myself now that I hadn’t taken some simple steps which would have cost little more to deliver a dedicated bat cave. Going to Mark’s room and listening to his advice I can now do this with minimal hassle, and I will partition the room with a stud wall to house my AV equipment and projector, also put a porch on the front using my existing glass french doors and continue the internal wall and fit an internal fire wooden door. The internal stud wall to create the space for equipment will also cut the light from 2 narrow floor to ceiling windows that blackout curtains do cut 100%.

Mark’s use of MVEL22 for side curtains delivers an inky blackout which is simply awesome. This makes the video experience so much more immersive and impressive. I will spend some of the summer continuing my MVEL22 wall panels, and the ideas Mark has suggested above which make my room far more specific for a impressive home cinema experience.

The room itself was sufficiently treated as well to let the Trinnov focus on fine grain adjustments, rather than overcoming major room related issues. I realise now this is where I can make further DIY improvements in my room, particular behind the MLP.

Overall views

In summary, experiencing Mark’s system has redefined my expectations of a dedicated home set up. The audio delivery is first rate, with a depth, projection, stunning dynamic transients, and faultless bass integration. The balance of strengths and trade offs on speaker design delivers an audio experience which is up there with high-end hifi systems, for the soundtracks on films. This is not the same as saying a high-end hifi system couldn’t deliver improvements on 2 channel audio, but really that isn’t the point, A pair of valve monoblocks, a top end preamp cant deliver immersive audio! My point is that the audio virtues of Mark’s set up are far above the other few high-end home cinema systems I have heard. Specifically on soundstage height and depth this was significantly the case. The video performance is also simply world class, the room specificity, laser projector and Lumagen all play their part here, and I am sure subtracting one part of this would make a difference.

I would like to thank Mark once again for his time and advice. I‘ve changed my short term views of how I’m taking my dedicated room forward, and I pretty sure the arendal speaker combination would work well in my set up too. For other forum members, I would jump on Mark’s offer on his open day, I think the experience would be revelatory for some and would also give those more experienced in high-end home cinema systems a good chance to hear what the Trinnov and Sony Laser can do.

Harkon321

Mark’s use of MVEL22 for side curtains delivers an inky blackout which is simply awesome. This makes the video experience so much more immersive and impressive. I will spend some of the summer continuing my MVEL22 wall panels.
Be interested to see your ideas for wall panels. Haven't figured out what I'm doing regarding wall panels or curtains but good to see other ideas.

Great review by the way.

Apollo

A big thanks to Mark (mb3195) for his time, super conversation and hospitality yesterday. I spent 4 hours doing a social distanced demo of his system, it has changed my perception of what is possible in a dedicated room.

Audio within the visual

It might be useful for other forum members to get some background on my journey in hifi and av. My background since being a teenager was focused on hifi. I have had all types of high-end equipment from huge valve monoblocks, to electrostatic speakers, streamers from Linn and a DAC from Chord. Therefore, I have quite strong views on how I want my home cinema to sound overtime. I’m now starting to upgrade my dedicated home cinema room and want to take my time and to take deliberate steps on my journey to home cinema heaven. What I am looking for in terms of audio is the combination of startling dynamic ability and the ability for the speakers to cast a wide, deep and high soundstage. I have listened to a lot of hifi speakers in my time and all have different strengths and weaknesses, and it is a matter of finding the trade offs that suit you as a person. @mb3915’s set up is the first home cinema set up I’ve heard that has all of the following audio traits:

- bass which is fully integrated, is startlingly quick and tight, but also conveys tonality, differentiation and warmth in the 60-140hz range.
- Body and warmth to male voices in particular that sound utterly convincing and super clear.
- a soundstage that not only is deep, wide, but most noticeably is high. My guess is that this is a combination of the waveguide tweeter in the Arendal LCR speakers and the ability of the Trinnov to occupy a sense of deep space in panning between main bed and height speakers.

I haven’t listened to the components separately to have an absolute handle on what contributes to these attributes, But I can make an educated guess that the speaker design and the Trinnov play a big part in the above. The bass integration was stunning, I’m sure the 1hz adjustments in the crossover settings is again an important factor here.

The soundstage height was a revelation, and it wasn’t far off high-end full range hybrid electrostatic designs that I have heared and/or owned in the past which are helped by the fact that they are 6ft high sometimes! I am sure the waveguide tweeter here is a factor. Some of the high frequency spatial sounds in Interstellar and Gravity seemed like they were as high as or beyond the ceiling at times.

Video

This is where I am less experienced. I have a 4K Epson TW7400 which I am happy with, until yesterday! I haven’t seen many high end projectors, maybe a JVC one once in a demo earlier this year. The Sony laser projector delivers the most solid, stable, fine detailed image I have seen in a home setting. There was beautIful gradations in different dark colours. You could instantly tell the fabrics on the clothes actors were wearing, this makes watching a film like Blade Runner 2049 or Le Mans 66 a different experience. I was thinking that Is a nice weave of fabric on Enzo’s suit there. Rather than Enzo has a dark charcoal suit on. Mark demonstrated the difference the Lumagen makes on 4K images. Essentially the difference is night and day. Skin tones and details are more realistic, the transition between dark and light parts of an image have more detail and texture. This presents an image which looks more authentic and with a sense of depth. On Gravity and Interstellar the specular highlights were highly impressive and again a different kind of experience to other projectors I have seen.

Room specificity

I had my dedicated building made 16 months ago. It is a hardiplank building very similar to Mark’s. Originally I was going to house a high-end hifi system in it with the AV part being an afterthought. I was sensible enough to put wiring in for 4 atmos speakers, but I didn’t really think about light control. I’m now only going down the home cinema route, and I kick myself now that I hadn’t taken some simple steps which would have cost little more to deliver a dedicated bat cave. Going to Mark’s room and listening to his advice I can now do this with minimal hassle, and I will partition the room with a stud wall to house my AV equipment and projector, also put a porch on the front using my existing glass french doors and continue the internal wall and fit an internal fire wooden door. The internal stud wall to create the space for equipment will also cut the light from 2 narrow floor to ceiling windows that blackout curtains do cut 100%.

Mark’s use of MVEL22 for side curtains delivers an inky blackout which is simply awesome. This makes the video experience so much more immersive and impressive. I will spend some of the summer continuing my MVEL22 wall panels, and the ideas Mark has suggested above which make my room far more specific for a impressive home cinema experience.

The room itself was sufficiently treated as well to let the Trinnov focus on fine grain adjustments, rather than overcoming major room related issues. I realise now this is where I can make further DIY improvements in my room, particular behind the MLP.

Overall views

In summary, experiencing Mark’s system has redefined my expectations of a dedicated home set up. The audio delivery is first rate, with a depth, projection, stunning dynamic transients, and faultless bass integration. The balance of strengths and trade offs on speaker design delivers an audio experience which is up there with high-end hifi systems, for the soundtracks on films. This is not the same as saying a high-end hifi system couldn’t deliver improvements on 2 channel audio, but really that isn’t the point, A pair of valve monoblocks, a top end preamp cant deliver immersive audio! My point is that the audio virtues of Mark’s set up are far above the other few high-end home cinema systems I have heard. Specifically on soundstage height and depth this was significantly the case. The video performance is also simply world class, the room specificity, laser projector and Lumagen all play their part here, and I am sure subtracting one part of this would make a difference.

I would like to thank Mark once again for his time and advice. I‘ve changed my short term views of how I’m taking my dedicated room forward, and I pretty sure the arendal speaker combination would work well in my set up too. For other forum members, I would jump on Mark’s offer on his open day, I think the experience would be revelatory for some and would also give those more experienced in high-end home cinema systems a good chance to hear what the Trinnov and Sony Laser can do.
I take it from the above, that you were more than just slightly impressed :D

You have a way with words I could never manage. Socially awkward even behind a keyboard unfortunately!

My view of the extremely high level of performance and admiration for what Mark has achieved pretty much mirror yours. Just slightly less of a shock as to how good it is for me, as I've kind of been along for the ride for the last few years since getting to know him well.

mb3195

Distinguished Member

Audio within the visual

Video

Room specificity

Overall views

Thanks for the review mate, it was a real pleasure having you over and I’m glad you’ve taken away some ideas on how you can improve your room instantly, with little cost incurred.

Considering my room is a completely compromised shed (🤪), I’d say I’m pretty pleased with what you thought, especially with reference to your hifi background - this is something of a surprise if I’m honest.

You’re right though, things like the Lumagen/Sony/Zappiti Pro combination really need to be seen to be believed, it does produce what I would describe as a “perfect” image that simply can’t be beaten, this coming from an avid JVC fan, the laser image is just so stable that it doesn’t bat an eyelid whatever is thrown at it.

Whilst the Trinnov has certainly improved the audio, my previous Marantz 8805 was still pretty damn awesome and up to that point was the best sounding system I’d heard, the trinnov has just taken it up another 15-20%, mainly within the 3D space of panning between speakers.

Hopefully a few others will feel the same when they get to hear/see it at my open day, which is now looking a bit more likely with Covid seemingly easing off slightly.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review mate, it was a real pleasure having you over and I’m glad you’ve taken away some ideas on how you can improve your room instantly, with little cost incurred.

Considering my room is a completely compromised shed (🤪), I’d say I’m pretty pleased with what you thought, especially with reference to your hifi background - this is something of a surprise if I’m honest.

You’re right though, things like the Lumagen/Sony/Zappiti Pro combination really need to be seen to be believed, it does produce what I would describe as a “perfect” image that simply can’t be beaten, this coming from an avid JVC fan, the laser image is just so stable that it doesn’t bat an eyelid whatever is thrown at it.

Whilst the Trinnov has certainly improved the audio, my previous Marantz 8805 was still pretty damn awesome and up to that point was the best sounding system I’d heard, the trinnov has just taken it up another 15-20%, mainly within the 3D space of panning between speakers.

Hopefully a few others will feel the same when they get to hear/see it at my open day, which is now looking a bit more likely with Covid seemingly easing off slightly.

I'm in the market for a new AVR in the next 12-24 months

would you definitely reccommend a marrantz over denon for example?

I'm surprised u said the marrantz as close to the trinnov as u say.. sadly trinnov is definitely outside my budget hahaa.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
I'm in the market for a new AVR in the next 12-24 months

would you definitely reccommend a marrantz over denon for example?

I'm surprised u said the marrantz as close to the trinnov as u say.. sadly trinnov is definitely outside my budget hahaa.
People who have been following this thread know just how much I rated the 8805.

My room is properly treated so EQ does have less work to do than others though.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member

Audio within the visual

Video

Room specificity

Overall views

So overall, you thought it was ok?

paulw77

Can I ask what size timber you used for your acoustic panels please ?

Apologies if it's already been mentioned somewhere in the thread.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Can I ask what size timber you used for your acoustic panels please ?

Apologies if it's already been mentioned somewhere in the thread.
They’re 60mm thick, they were cut down from a sheet of plywood as it was the most cost effective way of making them

jockychan

I just spent my evening reading through this from start to finish i didn't know it existed till this evening. Take a bow totally astonishing setup i love the way you have improved over the years from good to great. Absolutely amazing set up lockdown in your batcave must of been fun:smashin:

mb3195

Distinguished Member
I just spent my evening reading through this from start to finish i didn't know it existed till this evening. Take a bow totally astonishing setup i love the way you have improved over the years from good to great. Absolutely amazing set up lockdown in your batcave must of been fun:smashin:
Thanks mate, it’s been a long and (very) expensive journey!! Hasn’t stopped yet either, sold all my subs to @Owl40 yesterday in anticipation for the new arendals due to be released soon 🤦‍♂️

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: New Denon AV Products, HDMI 2.1, 8K, DTS:X Pro Sound Q&A with Denon Product Specialists

Trending threads

Latest News

Audeze announces Penrose wireless gaming headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Movies preferred to TV shows during lockdown in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ruark announces R3 all-in-one music system
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney Plus announces Star Wars: The Bad Batch spin-off