Apple 4KTV

Other:
Seymour Variable Masking Screen with Dreamscreen V7 Material
Octane HR Flex Seating
Mitsubishi Zen Air Conditioning
Harmony Elite Remote
Alexa Controlled
Philips Hue Lighting

I appreciate that this thread has got quite lengthy, so for newcomers it may be a little daunting to go through from start to finish, so I've decided to edit this post to show where I am now, with the room and building finally finished. I have gone through various improvements over the last 4 years, from improvements to the building itself, the internal decor and then with my equipment list; all of which is in the thread.

So let me start by updating my kit list as of today.

In terms of visual, I have upgraded projectors twice since my original Epson 9300, I went to a JVC X7900 which gave me a pretty big step up, but recently changed to a JVC NZ9 projector, which is simply awesome. The image is projects needs to be seen to be believed, it is incredible.

With screens, again I have changed a couple of times, I started off with a DIY variable masking screen which was great, served me really well, but the temptation of going for an acoustically transparent screen was simply too much to resist, so I changed to a Seymour UF 103" wide cinemascope screen which again, was awesome. But now I have now replaced it with a Seymour Frame, but this time it is 105" wide and 1.85:1 ratio, with masking top and bottom to give me cinemascope, and a Dreamscreen V7 screen - this was a BIG step up over previous screens.

Moving on to equipment in my cabinet, I have both a Panasonic UB700 UHD player for the occasional disc, but now my go to player is the reference Audiocom Signature, which again, is absolutely incredible. I sold my Oppo 203, the new Zappiti is a big step up in terms of image quality, less picture noise and much more depth to the image. I also have Apple 4ktv and Sky Q installed. All of these feed into my Lumagen 5348 Pro which transforms HDR content on a projector using its zone tone mapping, images looks like they should do with HDR due to this.

My audio is made of up a base layer of 3 x JBL SK2-1000 fitted into a baffle wall as below:

IMG_1875.JPG

The rest of my speakers made up of 10 x JBL S4AI. having 8" drivers throughout certainly adds weight to the surround and atmos experience.

I have 4 Hamrammr 18" subs in my room, 2 behind the screen, 2 in the rear corners. The below image is of my sub response, please not there is no smoothing applied.

Photo 01-12-2020, 18 34 52.png

My Processor (having tried quite a few as detailed in the whole build thread) is now a Trinnov Altitude 16, paired with a pair of Amplitude 8m power amps.

Here is a picture of my rack:
IMG_2202.jpeg

Seating wise, I recently changed my trusted Drinkstuff premiere seating for some Octane HR Flex. The new seating is much more comfortable and has the added benefit of powered headrests.

I started here 3 years ago:

IMG_2470.JPG

Below are some images of how it all looks now.

Outside view:

E645E76A-1D3C-41E5-9212-8B6F04374FFF.jpeg

Porch area:

IMG_1813.JPEG

IMG_1815.JPEG

Internal Shots:

31CAB6CD-AD7A-43D0-B83C-EBA1B7D00948.jpeg
760466FC-74B0-4CD8-98B4-1A9428AD26CE.jpeg
F0E93E26-4BE2-4497-82E3-7AAAED964F3E.jpeg

My new Zappiti Movie Wall - all my collection in one place at the click of a button.

IMG_1826.JPEG

An earlier version of my room made it into Home Cinema Choice - a lot has changed since then!!!

IMG_1832.JPEG
IMG_1830 (2).JPEG

The above is a snapshot of where I am now, if you want to know how I got there, please continue to read on.

April 2017:

After moving in to my new house January 2016, with all of my cinema equipment sold up apart from my premiere cinema seats and jamo d6 speakers, I'm finally getting around to building a new one!

Due to the layout of my new house and no "spare" rooms big enough, this time it will involve a complete new outbuilding, which gives me the opportunity to get it done how I want it! Not having to worry about speakers in the wrong location, odd shaped rooms or even windows that need blacking out. This one is going to be made with home cinema usage in mind only!!

Planning has gone in for a 3.6m x 4.8m building (I couldn't really go any bigger without losing too much garden).

Attached are images of the garden just as the digging for the base has started, along with the base down and planning application drawings.

The drawing show windows in the building, but these will be false, just to give a better aesthetic view of the house.

It will be built with OSB board and I will be using roof shingles and cladding it in a grey green MarleyEternit weatherboard, meaning it should need no maintenance when built.

Still deciding on what insulation I will be using, but likely to be celotex, I believe it is also good for sound proofing?

The porch area will house all of my electronics, keeping everything nicely hidden.

I will be making a DIY acoustic transparent screen, likely to be 2.7m wide with adjustable masking, the remaining wall will be covered in Devore velvet, giving the impression of a floating screen.

The rest of the room will be painted in a charcoal black, with dark grey thick pile carpets, no light will be allowed in so it should be plenty dark enough!!

Heating wise I am going to go down the air conditioning route, just deciding whether to go ceiling or wall mounted.

In terms of goodies, I will be using a 7.2.4 speaker setup. I've already got the jamo's for the base layer, not decided on the atoms speakers as yet, advice welcome!!

I am likely to go with the denon x4300 as receiver with a Iota 7 channel power amp which I have already ordered. The 2 subwoofers will be bk monoliths (picking the first one up this evening), I shouldn't be lacking in base!!

The projector is a toss up between the epson x9300 or jvc x5000 although I'm currently leaning towards the epson route.

I will likely end up with the oppo UHD player, PS4 pro and Xbox one.

Just need the council to hurry up and give me a yes on the planning permission, getting a little impatient now!!

Will keep you all updated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 6,761
  • IMG_1875.JPG
    IMG_1875.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Celotex is good for thermal use, but not so good for sound compared to Rockwool - the fibres trap sound waves and convert to heat, Celotex etc can't do that.

Pathway leading up to the building now laid.
I'm now thinking of going for a similar design to the attached, makes life a bit easier with bringing it into the garden, would likely then have a pergola leading up to the door way. Also means I don't need planning as I can keep it below 2.5m

Attachments

• IMG_2613.JPG
    IMG_2613.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 5,784
  • IMG_2570.PNG
    IMG_2570.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 6,023
Planned layout drawn to scale

Attachments

• IMG_2621.JPG
    IMG_2621.JPG
    665.4 KB · Views: 5,785
A course of Engineering bricks being laid, lots of wood has also turned up!

Attachments

• IMG_2753.JPG
    IMG_2753.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 5,596
  • IMG_2754.JPG
    IMG_2754.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 5,364
I've got a feeling it will be a long long weekend ;) Very interesting.

Some progress....

Attachments

• IMG_2768.JPG
    IMG_2768.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 5,329
  • IMG_2770.JPG
    IMG_2770.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 5,273
  • IMG_2772.JPG
    IMG_2772.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 5,393
All stud work done, osb walls going on! Progress!

Attachments

• IMG_2823.PNG
    IMG_2823.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 5,328
Day by day a bit of progress! Hoping to get the rest of the walls up over the weekend and possibly the roof on. Looking forward to getting it clad as it's looking a bit like a storage container at the moment!!

Attachments

• IMG_2837.JPG
    IMG_2837.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 5,450
Not sure my dad fully understood what I meant when I said I wanted a bat cave!:laugh:

Attachments

• IMG_2850.JPG
    IMG_2850.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 5,486
So, 4 out of the 5 walls are now fully boarded, covered in membrane and ready for cladding....speaking of which, first cladding board has been fitted!!:clap:
Really happy with the weatherboard effect, looks pretty natural, without the hassle of being natural!!

Attachments

• IMG_2897.JPG
    IMG_2897.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 5,333
  • IMG_2898.JPG
    IMG_2898.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 5,302
Starting to look like a summerhouse now! Really happy with the cladding.

Attachments

• IMG_2903.JPG
    IMG_2903.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 5,327
That's coming on really well!

A few questions...

What's the weatherboard that you're using? I presume it's some sort of molded plastic, does it have a grain?

The blue battens - what are they treated with? I've seen another build on here with pink ones :eek:

What are your plans for the roof?

That's coming on really well!

A few questions...

What's the weatherboard that you're using? I presume it's some sort of molded plastic, does it have a grain?

The blue battens - what are they treated with? I've seen another build on here with pink ones :eek:

What are your plans for the roof?

Hi mate, the weatherboard is Hardie Plank (see link James Hardie - HardiePlank Cladding), it is a cement based product which requires no maintenance and is totally fireproof. It has a grain, although you can also get one without it. If you zoom in on the close up shot of the cladding, you can see the grain. It does look really natural.

The blue battens are treated in a fire retardant coating. They are not fireproof as such, just offer more resistance to flames.

For the roof, I have decided to go with GRP fibreglass. I have ordered a DIY kit, looked at a few youtube videos, it looks easy enough providing the preparation work is done correctly.

The french doors have been fitted today, hoping to get the outside of the building completed within the next week so we can start concentrating on the internals!

Nice one, thank you for taking the time to answer. The fiberglass looks pretty good stuff, I watch a video on installing it.

I might request a sample of the HardiePlank to see what I think. I'm not sure they quite do the colour I want and I wonder if it would look too flat compare to Red Cedar.

They do loads of colours, Marley eternit also have a really good range although a bit more expensive, anyway, more pics!!

Attachments

• IMG_2911.JPG
    IMG_2911.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 5,338
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5,251
A bit more progress on the externals, even managed to start the stud work where all 11 speakers are going.

Oh.....and I just bought myself 9 xtz cinema series speakers!! Now that wasn't planned!!!:eek:

Attachments

• IMG_2982.JPG
    IMG_2982.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 5,079
  • IMG_2983.JPG
    IMG_2983.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 5,058
Looking excellent. Really taking shape.
And great choice for the speakers by the way. :)

Looking excellent. Really taking shape.
And great choice for the speakers by the way. :)
Hopefully, was happy with my Jamo's, hoping they will be worth the money!!

Well rain stopped play last week, so not much progress. Work restarted this week, outside of the building is approaching completion, it's now really starting to take shape and I'm really pleased with how it's looking.

It's only got a temporary roof on at the moment (put up last week due to the rain). Hoping we should be able to get the outside finished over the weekend if all goes to plan.

Also picked up my new speakers this week and took delivery of my denon x7200. Both sets of items really solidly built in their own right, I've now got all of my electronics, just need to get the building finished!!

Attachments

• IMG_3087.JPG
    IMG_3087.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 4,984
  • IMG_3089.JPG
    IMG_3089.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 5,062
  • IMG_3091.JPG
    IMG_3091.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 5,056
Great project!

Are you going to put any acoustic treatment in? Since it's a dedicated room you can get some really nice panels / traps in there.

Great project!

Are you going to put any acoustic treatment in? Since it's a dedicated room you can get some really nice panels / traps in there.

Yes mate, I will be using home made ones made of rockwool and covered in devour fabric - both wall and ceiling, along with bass traps in the corner, I'm anticipating having 6 wall panels, 1 ceiling and 4 corner traps.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom