Outbuilding dedicated cinema room 7.2.6

Discussion in 'Members DIY Home Cinema Showcases' started by mb3195, Apr 9, 2017.

1. mb3195

mb3195

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,853
    The footstool just makes it more comfortable, I'm quite tall so the recliner part on my legs only comes up to the back of my calfs, the footsool take the weight of my feet. It also means I dont need to recline my chair to put my feet up.

Screen size is 96", I know I could have gone slightly bigger, but I think this is perfect for my viewing distance and also allows for the girls to sit closer on the bean bags without too much discomfort.

My screen is built exactly the same as this one http://www.seymourav.com/articles/DIYFixedFrame.pdf

The only difference is that I have masking that attaches to both the top and bottom to hide the black bars giving me adjustable ratios of 1.81:1 and 2.37:1

When the masking is attached you cannot tell its not permanently fixed to the main frame.

2. peter-d-w

peter-d-w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Have you already built the screen?

3. mb3195

mb3195

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,853
    The velvet surroundings and masking I still have from my last screen, it is just the main structure that needs building.

4. peter-d-w

peter-d-w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I will look forward to seeing the finished result then. Thanks for sharing all the information on this thread, it's very useful!

5. mb3195

mb3195

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,853
    I think this my favourite panel IMG_3586.JPG

6. mb3195

mb3195

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,853
    So, 1 day closer to completion and today I managed to give the system a bit of a workout!! Sounding pretty darn good and still got another 8 panels to put in yet, can definitely notice the difference between the left and right walls where one wall has all panels in and one hasn't, slightly less harsh sounding and less tiring.

Alexa is now controlling everything through harmony which appears to be working really well, although the oldest daughter is already annoying me/Alexa with her constant questions!!

Screen is hopefully being built and going up tomorrow, if so, first movie will be rogue one as none of the family have seen it apart from me so there choice. Goodies all in already....sweets, popcorn, drinks....would have been cheaper to go to the showcase!!!

Really pleased with how it is coming on, internally I just need to finish the porch (hopefully tomorrow), screen, panels and cover for the av unit, which will also include a hush box.

My dad has been working pretty damn hard, he managed to drill through his finger earlier, this was following an accident with the nail gun which managed to go clean through one of his other fingers!! Did he stop? Of course not, just wiped the blood away, stuck some superglue on it and off he went again!!:facepalm:

IMG_3613.JPG IMG_3614.JPG IMG_3615.JPG IMG_3616.JPG IMG_3618.JPG IMG_3619.JPG IMG_3620.JPG

7. degsod

degsod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Wow, very nice

8. PsyVision

PsyVision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,002
    Damn you! I want mine finished!

9. mb3195

mb3195

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,853
    Hurry up then!! I only started building mine last week in April!;)

10. peter-d-w

peter-d-w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    It all looks great! The Acoustic panels really set it off nicely. Where did you get the prints on the door?

11. mb3195

mb3195

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,853
    eBay, just type in thx signs. Work out around £12 each

12. wl1

wl1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +889
    Looking great, I bet you can't wait.

13. mb3195

mb3195

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,853
    Yeah I'm looking poking forward to it all being finished, for three reasons:
    1) getting a bit tiring now, every weekend and most evenings after getting home from work
    2) cost!
    3) after watching 10 minutes of avatar earlier, on a picture projected onto a black wall with ribbed paper, I was 10x more engrossed than on my calibrated zt60 plasma, which although gives an amazing picture, can't give the feeling of a full setup home cinema!!

14. wl1

wl1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +889
    It's the big screen! Dark room, complete immersion. Enjoy....

15. mcbainne

mcbainne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Looks amazing, well done

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. mb3195

mb3195

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,853
    Screen has now been assembled and put up, FINALLY got to watch a film and wow, just wow! Picture, sound and experience are all simply stunning. Really really pleased with the almost finished product! :thumbsup:

Just thought I'd share the build of the screen for anyone interested, as it gives me adjustable ratios for 1.81:1 and 2.37:1 (these were my choices to try and accommodate all various formats)

As mentioned earlier, we followed these instructions in building the velvet surrounds http://www.seymourav.com/articles/DIYFixedFrame.pdf these I still had from previous
    IMG_3629.JPG

We now had to build the new frame itself, deciding on using two sheets of 12mm mdf that were biscuit jointed together

IMG_3628.JPG

Next magnets were inserted to correspond with the previous black bars that I had which also had magnets fitted
    IMG_3631.JPG
    IMG_3630.JPG

When the black bars are fitted on the screen they now just magically stay in place
    IMG_3632.JPG

We then gave it a good sand, stapled the material thoroughly with about 1000 staples, attached the velvet surrounds and hung it on the wall.

The end result:

1.81:1

IMG_3638.JPG

2.37:1

IMG_3637.JPG

Really difficult taking pictures in my room as it is so dark even with all of my lights on, but my screen is completely flawless and looks like a £3000 custom screen now it's on the wall.

This is what the image is like

IMG_3635.JPG

Oh, also got most of the porch finished as well, just carpet tiles to lay and a couple more pictures to go up

IMG_3639.JPG

17. peter-d-w

peter-d-w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Congratulations! It looks really good! Are you pleased with the seats now that you've used them to watch a film on?

18. mb3195

mb3195

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,853
    Thanks mate.

Yeah the seats are good, I actually had them and the screen from my previous room. Everything else is new.

19. peter-d-w

peter-d-w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Hows the paint now it's been on a few days? People say black paint is difficult to use and marks really easily.

20. mb3195

mb3195

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,853
    Yeah it does mark really easily to be honest, but not really a problem in there as it's a dedicated room and won't see much traffic. Would be a nightmare anywhere else in the house though.

Got a couple of panels up on the ceiling this evening, these ones are plain black, wrapped in a kind of non reflective spandex material. Really surprised how much darker and better for the reflections on the ceiling from the projector they are than just black paint alone.

21. mb3195

mb3195

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,853
    Another update, getting a Mitsubishi Zen air con unit fitted soon, my guy is coming over tomorrow to spec out the right one and get it ordered. Should be fully finished soon, once it is, happy to demo the room to anyone who has similar plans or are just generally interested.

22. peter-d-w

peter-d-w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Does your projector produce a lot of heat? I'm planning to buy the same model. Is this why you are planning to install the Air Con?

23. wl1

wl1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +889
    All Lamp based Projectors kick out heat, and have a fan - though MB looks to be installing a Hush Box to mitigate the noise.

The AC will likely be used as much in Heat mode during Winter months, as AC in Summer. It's a an economical & flexible way to heat/cool an "occasionally" occupied outbuilding.

If heat and noise (fan & AC) are likely to bother you (small room), you can consider mounting the projector in a separate equipment room if building a dedicated cinema room.

24. mb3195

mb3195

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,853
    Its not just the projector.

Obviously we have high ambient temps at the moment anyway, but my room is air tight, meaning I have nowhere for the heat to escape to. If you think about all the items in an AV cabinet, they all produce a fair amount of heat, as done the human body when in an air tight room. My room is also sound proofed and has a number of acoustic panels installed, all of these transfer noise into heat.

So at the moment, the room starts at a relatively decent ambient temperature and then just gradually rises and rises. An air con unit for me is an absolute necessity. I won't be watching any complete films until it is installed.

25. mb3195

mb3195

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,853
    What AC unit do you have installed?

26. peter-d-w

peter-d-w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I'm hoping to get by with one of these FRESHBOX 100 ERV (in black)but I know that I will probably end up having to install Air Con too.

27. adam-burnley

adam-burnley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,480
    What would you say is the typical starting room temp (say if 20c outside), and what does it rise to after an hour of the kit being on with a few people in the room?

28. mb3195

mb3195

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,853
    A lot of Air conditioning units now heat and cool, they are also pretty efficient.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a freshbox if you are also planning on air con, just go with the air con that can heat.

They heat rooms really quickly too.....

29. mb3195

mb3195

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,853
    My room is cooler than the ambient temperature initially as it is so well insulated. But after 1 hour of viewing the other night, the room temp went up to 26.8 degrees.......that was with 5 in the room though.

If you have some form of ventilation in your room it isn't such a problem, but as mentioned, mine is completely air tight, the heat has nowhere to escape to.

An air con unit was always on the agenda for me, so isn't a major surprise. I also have one in my bedroom.....it has been a god send over the past few weeks!

30. adam-burnley

adam-burnley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,480
    Well living up north we generally don't get enough warm days to justify the cost of an AC unit, but am a little concerned about my dedicated room. It will still have a window though, but its practically south facing so doesn't help on a warm sunny afternoon / evening!