Shed of Infinite Darkness

Thanks mb. I have an old JVC HD350, but it’s now installed in a matt white box of a room (which at least has no ambient light / is pitch black when the lights are off, but lights up when the JVC is projecting a bright image; wife won’t compromise...), so I might start another thread to get suggestions!

I love your outbuilding - so well designed and executed - and it’s nice to see you get great use out of it. After all, we work hard, and need some toys to compensate!

Thanks mb. I have an old JVC HD350, but it’s now installed in a matt white box of a room (which at least has no ambient light / is pitch black when the lights are off, but lights up when the JVC is projecting a bright image; wife won’t compromise...), so I might start another thread to get suggestions!

I love your outbuilding - so well designed and executed - and it’s nice to see you get great use out of it. After all, we work hard, and need some toys to compensate!

Thanks for the compliments. Yeah, I definitely get good use out of it and and 100% glad I did it. I actually like the fact it is outside as well, means I can have it as loud as I want with no worrying about waking anyone up.

It’s difficult to suggest a projector in a typical living room environment as you’re always compromising the performance of the projector.

I’ve heard great things about reAct screens though, but the x7900 would probably be wasted as you wouldn’t get any performance benefit than against the x5900 - this may be a better option for you. ReAct screen with the x5900. Lots of guys on the owners threads seem very happy with this combo.

Really nice set up, great job!

Pleased to hear your thoughts on the 7900. Been bringing myself up to speed on the latest PJ's to replace my trusty JVC X55 that has served me very well and still on the original bulb after almost 5 years.

Looks like the 7900 is top of my list right now.

Really nice set up, great job!

Pleased to hear your thoughts on the 7900. Been bringing myself up to speed on the latest PJ's to replace my trusty JVC X55 that has served me very well and still on the original bulb after almost 5 years.

Looks like the 7900 is top of my list right now.

Thanks mate, yeah really pleased with how it’s all turned out, hoping that today it will be actually finished!! Getting my curtains put up later, think that will give me an extra 5% of performance/perfection.

The room is now giving the JVC the platform to do its job, it really is excellent, got 50 hours on it now, so getting it calibrated in two weeks.

Room is always open for demos if you want to see the projector in action.

Where are you based?

Also you mentioned the JVC is making you rethink the colour scheme or layout in your room. In what way? Do you mean the brightness? I'm also thinking of a change in mine but thinking about going a lot darker.

Where are you based?

Also you mentioned the JVC is making you rethink the colour scheme or layout in your room. In what way? Do you mean the brightness? I'm also thinking of a change in mine but thinking about going a lot darker.
I live near Peterborough.

Yeah, the brightness did make a difference, it was highlighting my whole room, although I was probably being overly picky.

Where are you based?

If you decide to make the trip over to view Mark’s JVC you are more than welcome to pop down the road (7 miles) for a Sony VW360 comparison demo day out :smashin:

Right, that’s it, done, dusted, fineto!!

My room/building is finally fully finished! :D

Added some black (AT) velvet curtains yesterday, my my, what a difference they have made! My room was totally black before, now it’s like sitting in space, the walls just disappear into oblivion and subconsciously it makes my sound feel the same (my xtz speakers probably have something to do with this!).

Anyway, pictures open and curtains closed attached.

Well chuffed! :clap:

E51BAD43-C965-4D16-AE37-3451F27DD98A.jpeg
E17336C0-2636-4D5A-80F1-EE626C646D49.jpeg
56557437-C554-40E7-91C3-A45483C14248.jpeg
74B0C71F-B049-43CF-807B-320C852F8B11.jpeg

Apologies if you posted previously, but have you just fitted some regular curtain rails along the top of the wall?

Any concerns about affecting the performance of the acoustic panels?

Apologies if you posted previously, but have you just fitted some regular curtain rails along the top of the wall?

Any concerns about affecting the performance of the acoustic panels?

I got some aluminum tracks and sprayed them Matt black.

It still sounds absolutely incredible in there. The material is quite thin and sound is obviously still traveling through them.

I did notice any difference in sound with curtains open or closed.

A few weeks into having the room finished, absolutely loving it. Have managed to iron out the majority of the teething issues now so finally thought I would get around to taking some internal shots of the finished room, although I have found it difficult to take any decent pictures due to the room being so dark and the flash on the camera just bouncing all over the place and causing spotting marks.

Anyway, this is how it has ended up.....the photos don't really do the room justice tbh. Always interested to hear peoples thoughts.

Front porch:
View attachment 915340
View attachment 915341
View attachment 915342

Screen shot 16x9 ratio:
View attachment 915343

Screen 2.37:1 ratio:
View attachment 915354

Front right:
View attachment 915349

Front Left:

View attachment 915350

Cabinet/projector/back of room:

View attachment 915352

Back left/air conditioning unit:
View attachment 915353

Back right:
View attachment 915355

Hi,

I will be getting my own cinema room installed shortly, courtesy of @Ideal AV but i wanted to know where you got those THX / Dolby Atoms logos from if possible please?

They look great :)

Hi,

I will be getting my own cinema room installed shortly, courtesy of @Ideal AV but i wanted to know where you got those THX / Dolby Atoms logos from if possible please?

ebay is your friend!

Hi,

If you message the seller (charliea44) first, you can customise them for nominal fee - to include the name of the Cinema for example. Worth considering.....

Found em, thanks chaps!

The next thing is, how do i go about obtaining a variable masking solution for my 16x9 screen?

Whist the majority of the content i will watch will be in 16x9. I do watch movies that come in all the different flavours and i want to try and avoid the dreaded grey bars.

Found em, thanks chaps!

The next thing is, how do i go about obtaining a variable masking solution for my 16x9 screen?

Whist the majority of the content i will watch will be in 16x9. I do watch movies that come in all the different flavours and i want to try and avoid the dreaded grey bars.

Have you seen how I built mine?

Have you seen how I built mine?

Just looking through that PDF now mate.

Is it not motorised then?

I was hoping for a solution where i could just push a button and witch between different screen ratios.

Just looking through that PDF now mate.

Is it not motorised then?

I was hoping for a solution where i could just push a button and witch between different screen ratios.

Magnets. Takes about 10 seconds to change.

Magnets. Takes about 10 seconds to change.

Right ok got ya.

It does look good but im a lazy sod and not sure ill cope with switching the ratios manually :rotfl:

Bit of an update on my room. Had my JVC calibrated by @Gordon @ Convergent AV yesterday - super job as usual, has brought the best out of the image. Was interesting to note that he had to dial down my brightness as the room was so dark, makes for excellent HDR viewing.

I've also just replaced the two monolith subs with an Arendal Subwoofer 3. This thing is a complete and utter beast, but with control through the whole frequency range. Doesn't break a sweat, but I get noticeable more impact higher up the range than the dual monoliths were producing. Low level feels similar.

I've got a couple of bass traps coming next week from GIK acoustics. I went for the monster traps with the range limiter and scatter plates. My panels are excellent, but they aren't dealing with the bass within the room, hoping these will help get things even tighter.

Went a bit snap happy this morning. Got some good shots though, some that I feel actually do the room some justice.

DSC04569.JPG
DSC04574.JPG
DSC04575.JPG
DSC04576.JPG
DSC04577.JPG
DSC04581.JPG
DSC04584.JPG
Octopus eye.JPG
Star Fish.JPG
whole room.JPG

How nice to see another HT enthusiast in the Peterborough area. I really need to get my HT posted here as the build thread is located elsewhere.

Your garden HT looks great.

A great read, thanks for sharing the build, my room is still a shell.

And I'm right on your doorstep over the river.

A great read, thanks for sharing the build, my room is still a shell.

And I'm right on your doorstep over the river.
Thanks mate, you’re more than welcome to come and have a closer look.

Thanks would love to see it and hear it, very kind.

Will drop you a message

Here is where I am at with mine, loads to do Av cupboard will be on the right side cables mounting rapidly, finally found a lighting system that will do what I wish.
IMG_0858.jpg

After a few days of listening to my new (amazing) Arendal Sub 3, I started to realise I was missing the feeling on a second sub located in the exact opposite position to the first one.

Result? I ordered another one :eek:

Turned up yesterday, sounds and feels sensational, definitely the right decision getting the second one installed.

Also got a Lumagen Radiance 44xx being installed tomorrow, when I think my room can’t get any better......:D

What do you mean exact opposite ? Can you put a pic ? I understood from the Arendal thread that you placed both behind the listening position ? Aren't they still easy to localize if both are behind the couch ? Wouldn't one in the front, one in the back be more recommended to also cancel some room modes ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom