• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Out With The Old(est) in with the New(est)

PRESSTOG

Prominent Member
After all our Trials and Tribulations with our original Kona EV (SAW-GATE and THIEVING AA DRIVER GATE), and then spending 8 Weeks in the Oldest Kona in the UK (Aug 18 Press Car), We today finally got to do a pre delivery inspection on our new car. (Cant get it till Next Tuesday as plate is not legal till then).....

So 67k miles in our Old Acid Yellow
Then 7k miles in the Press Car.

Now into the new Kona. Now have
An App (Finally they realised EVs need connectivity). The one thing missing from the original Kona a totally stupid oversigt.
A New Screen (Up to 10.5" from 8" with a new layout and much better integration)
3 Phase AC Charging, which is useful at site with AC only
Heated Rear Seats.. (Naah never sat in the back and dont intend to).
WLTP Range up from 279 to 309 with a couple of extra battery cells and aerodynamic changes (Never had any issue getting 300 before anyway)

After all the hassles I have really been considering selling this one as soon as it arrived and move on to something new. But SWMBO really wont have a Model 3 so although I would give it a go its a no. Also she does not like the Polestar. So may have a look at a Mustang E next year, or whatever else pops up..

So for now its Kona again,... Although Got Red this time instead of Yellow as should be easier to sell when it comes to it...

FROM

q1.jpg

TO

c1.jpg

TO

c2.jpg

AND ON TO WHATEVER NEXT>..... must Be Full EV Must Have 300+ Miles Range, Must ave Cooled Seats and Head Up Display.. (Making it difficult here)

IronGiant

The facelift looks very similar from the outside, apart from being a bit "redder" (mirrors and roof). Any other exterior changes?

PRESSTOG

Prominent Member
The facelift looks very similar from the outside, apart from being a bit "redder" (mirrors and roof). Any other exterior changes?

No its just the bigger screen and app + Heated rear seats inside, and a few changes to the battery pack and underneath to squeeze a few more miles out of it..

Supposed to be a full facelift for 2021

PRESSTOG

Prominent Member
Well picked up the new car today at 9am,

First trip a nice easy 307 miles return to Westminster from Mansfield, made it home after 307 miles with 17 miles left on the. GOM at a nice steady 65 on the M1 both ways.

Luckily V5 came through last friday so I managed to get the congestion charge exemption in place for work trip today.

Made it out of London before the Extinction Rebelion Mob kicked off too badly.

Like the new screen (Nice to be able to watch movies or tv when stuck in the car for a while that will come in handy on charge stops). Having an app again is great, I would never ever buy an EV without an app again, its too much hassle.

Garage was very friendly on handover, had applied Diamond brite Protection free of charge, and Mats for free, 60k service plan in place so will be no service costs for at least the next 18 months.

They had moved my Dashcam over from the old car to the new one and hardwired it in properly rather than my previous bodge job, apparently a tech from Head Office drove up to them yesterday to fit it..

Now to whack some miles on the little beastie...

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

c3.jpg

outoftheknow

Garage was very friendly on handover, had applied Diamond brite Protection free of charge, and Mats for free, 60k service plan in place so will be no service costs for at least the next 18 months.

They had moved my Dashcam over from the old car to the new one and hardwired it in properly rather than my previous bodge job, apparently a tech from Head Office drove up to them yesterday to fit it..
Am I sensing some payback from an embarrassed maker here - noting the slight issues you experienced recently)?

tickedon

Prominent Member
Looks lovely! Interesting to hear you managed more range than WLTP figures - were you driving like a saint with AC etc. turned off? Or is the WLTP a bit conservative for this time of year and motorway miles?

PRESSTOG

Prominent Member
Looks lovely! Interesting to hear you managed more range than WLTP figures - were you driving like a saint with AC etc. turned off? Or is the WLTP a bit conservative for this time of year and motorway miles?

The WLTP was 301 when the car launched then they said they had made a mistake and dropped it to 279, but n reality we found if you drive at 65mph and as long as its dry and over 15c then 300 is no problem, Hyundai and Kia seem very conservative with their range predictions.

On the 2020 Kona the WLTP has gone up to 304 miles as they have made changes to tyres and aerodynamics and (its rumoured) a couple of extra battery cells to push the voltage from 405 to 415v, (Not tested that as I have not charged it to 100% yet to find out). But would say its a wee bit easier in this new one to hit 300 than in the old one. (but there is not a lot in it) and so many variables like speed temp etc, its really hard to say.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom