Out of warranty repairs?

gdbagley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Got an iPhone 3GS that has started to experience a fault. Basically, if I'm not on 3G and make a call, I can hear the GSM buzzing on my earpiece. Also, since this has happenned, my battery appears to be draining quicker - with barely any use today, I'm at 55% from 100% at 8am.

My question is, has anyone managed to get any out of warranty service from apple? I'd need to book a genius appt, which would be a problem as I think they ask for the SN to check warranty, but if i could get one, has anyone ever managed to get an out of warranty repair?

I'm aware that its 12months, but the phone cost £550 and is under 2 years old, surely under EU and UK legislation, I'm entitiled to get a fix, just under the sales of good act alone?

Cheers

I think its an argue the toss with them kind of situation but I called the trading standards people as IVe also got a 3gs with something I wanted fixing and they told me that the sale of goods act would apply for electrical stuff within 6 years (which it sounds like you know)

I couldnt argue this in my case as my iphone had been replaced under warranty before and even though the new one is only 10 months old (and if you think about it, in theory should be under a 12 month warranty) the old warranty applied to the new phone and apparently wouldnt be able to claim replacement under Sale of Good because id excersised my warranty before

Get an appointment they'll prob give you a new one.

Cheers for the replies.

I may make a call, get an appt and say i havnt go the SN as my phone isnt with me or something!

Does anyone know, if I end up having to use the sales of good act, will it have to go back to CarphoneWarehouse?

I've never dropped the phone, i used an incipio feather case since I got it, but that ended up causing damage to the back, loads of white marks all over it, think trapped dust/things caused it. Hopefully they wont accuse me of dropping it lol

gdbagley said:
Cheers for the replies.I may make a call, get an appt and say i havnt go the SN as my phone isnt with me or something!

The shouldn't ask you for the SN to make an appointment, make it via the webpage for example, but of course they'll want to see the phone when you go.

If it ends up as a case where you need to invoke the SOGA then your beef is with the retailer that you bought the phone from & not with Apple (unless you actually bought it from Apple).

From experience if you make a genius appointment i wouldnt be inclined to go in all guns blazing kicking off. I've had a couple of swaps due to cracks in the case then a broken silent switch. The second time with the faulty switch was about 2 months outside of the warranty. I didnt kick off just explained the history and they swapped it for me there and then.

Apples post sales care is generally very good and i found that just talking to them and being normal got me the result i wanted.

Thanks everyone, for some reason, i thought they asked for SN when booking iPhone help! Booked in for Saturday, fingers crossed!!!!

Apple wanted £140 for them to replace the handset :( not impressed at all really. I booked for a genius appt, but they were over running and I ended up seeing a non-genius whilst queuing - who wouldnt even entertain any objections or let me continue my appt with the genius bar - which was annoying as the genius may have seen the fault before or suggested something! The only suggestion she may have had was house insurance - not applicable in my case.

Popped into CPW, I pay accidental cover with them. They coudnt find the earpiece fault under insurance so have put the fault as something else - unfortunately this requires a confirmation, which could be Monday - then hopefully can get insurance iphone next day (Tuesday), he said may even get an IP4 - although i doubt it haha.

Really disappointed with Apple today, or at least the attitude of the lady i spoke to - quite argumentative from out of nowhere - which is a shame because i kept my cool - otherwise i'd have understood. In the end, I mentioned EU laws and SAG - which she insisted would not be 6yrs and then tried to say under 2yrs was 'reasonable'.

If i stick with iphone and get another, i'm gonna go direct to apple so i can SAG act there ass if it breaks again!!

They did the same with me a few months back, snotty staff, didnt even make it to the genius bar to fulfill my appiontment and wanted £140 for a new handset.

Just seen here ( and telephone support confirmed) if you go with a fault battery, ot costs £55 for a fix - which is just another refurb phone usually - annoying as i told them my battery was faulty too - but the snotty hard nosed cow didnt seem bothered with anything i said.

Really disappointed with Apple today, or at least the attitude of the lady i spoke to - quite argumentative from out of nowhere - which is a shame because i kept my cool - otherwise i'd have understood. In the end, I mentioned EU laws and SAG - which she insisted would not be 6yrs and then tried to say under 2yrs was 'reasonable'.

If i stick with iphone and get another, i'm gonna go direct to apple so i can SAG act there ass if it breaks again!!
You bought your phone from Carphone Warehouse so you should take it back there & quote the Sale of Goods Act.

Yep - which is why I didnt bother with it at apple, but may buy from apple in future to do so.

Either way, the customer service is shocking

but the snotty hard nosed cow didnt seem bothered with anything i said.

I can't even begin to phantom why they wouldn't, as you've said you kept your cool and all.

Keep in mind that under the Sales of Goods act, after 6 months it's the buyer (not the seller) responsibility to show that the device was inherently faulty at the time of purchase and that the fault was not due to normal wear and tear, or misuse.

gkpm said:
I can't even begin to phantom why they wouldn't, as you've said you kept your cool and all.

Keep in mind that under the Sales of Goods act, after 6 months it's the buyer (not the seller) responsibility to show that the device was inherently faulty at the time of purchase and that the fault was not due to normal wear and tear, or misuse.

Nope, neither me or the Mrs were could understand it. Took the mrs a lot to bite her tongue with her attitude, especially when she insisted i wouldnt be able to fulfill my appointment.

I suspect it was because they were busy and she was told to reduce the genius queue. Either way, considering we were there with my ipad and both our iphones and even mentioned we were gonna be buying ipad2 and IP5 - youd have thought she'd be a bit more keen to keep us sweet - certainly put me off ipad2 - i'll stick with with my original.

The Genius Bar is not the Warranty Department they are there to help you with any problem hardware or software. Take a look here there is in fact no mention of warranty & to quote The Genius working with you gathers information about your system to resolve your issues and answer your questions. If your product requires repair, the Genius discusses your repair options, explains any applicable charges, and checks in your equipment for repair. Expect the session to last about 15 minutes — more, if the issue requires it. Apple Retail Store (United Kingdom) - Genius Bar

Book another appointment. Just tell them that the battery runs down too quickly & get the phone exchanged for £55.

Well the only thing I can add is that if one goes pushing hard on the key for the Sales of Goods act - which may end up in court for a judge to decide - Apple staff like Geniuses are instructed to clam up really quick and refer people to Apple's legal department.

This is not unlike how insurance companies tell customers never to take (or even project) any blame after an accident.

I'll see how CPW handle my insurance claim - i must say - i never mentoined SoG act until near the end of the conversation (because I didnt buy it from them).

If CPW turns ot to be a nightmare, i'll go back for a battery swap.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom