• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Out of the loop

Xyphod

Standard Member
I've been out of the AV loop for the last 5 years, but now looking at Hi-Def.
Unfortunatly I'll only ever be able to go to 780p as I have component cables chased into the wall (the wife will not let me rip the cables out and replace with HDMI).
Now the questions. My Yamaha Av amp (can't remember the model now) obviously does not have HDMI so this would have to be replaced.
So now the questions
With a new AV amp will I be able to do the following.

Down convert from HDMI to component?
If not I will be using the component outs from a hi-def source (blueray/Sky HD).
If I use component outs can I use the optical out to the amp to decode the HD audio signal.
Is HD audio that much of a jump from regular DVD audio for it to be worth it?
I.e. Stick to my current amp, and just play the SD definition sound track.

I've noticed on a number of amp, the description of HDTV component compatible outs. Does this essencially mean 780p out or can we now get 1080p over component?

Thanks for your help

Xyphod

Standard Member
Cool. So all I need (other than a new TV I'm an early Plasma adopter)
is a new HDMI amp (with component outs)
And just plug in Hi-Def HDMI sources and I'll be able to get full HD-Audio and 1080p picture???

Sorry for this being in Free-view, noticed I was in the wrong forum only after I posted

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
I believe that most (or all) true High Def sources (so, Blu-Ray for example) will **not** produce anything "better" than 480p or 576p via Component. This is not because 1080 or 720 via component isn't possible - it is - but because of some industry agreement to stop people using it as a means of circumventing copy protection to produce a high def copy.

And I've not come across any amp which will take an HDMI input and output it as a high definition component signal. That's not a definitive statement, though. But it seems unlikely for the same copy protection reason.

If you are moving to true High Definition sources, then you will, I think, need to chase out your walls.......

Rich Marshall

Prominent Member
I believe that most (or all) true High Def sources (so, Blu-Ray for example) will **not** produce anything "better" than 480p or 576p via Component. This is not because 1080 or 720 via component isn't possible - it is - but because of some industry agreement to stop people using it as a means of circumventing copy protection to produce a high def copy.

And I've not come across any amp which will take an HDMI input and output it as a high definition component signal. That's not a definitive statement, though. But it seems unlikely for the same copy protection reason.

If you are moving to true High Definition sources, then you will, I think, need to chase out your walls.......

damn. Hope he's wrong! lol

Last edited:

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Yes you can get full HD via component, and 720P:smashin:

While this is absolutely correct, sadly for anti copying reasons commercial blue ray discs disable Full HD component output replacing it with 576p on UK blueray players as does Freesat HD boxes with component out for HD signals. Older sky HD boxes do have HD component outputs but newer boxes do not have component sockets. It is however possible to convert a HDMI HDCP signal to HD component (Google HDfury2). Not all TV's support 1080p over component - The newer Sony LCD's do.

AV amps will scale up component, s-video and composite to hdmi but not the other way round. HDMI inputs are output at the same configuration. Eg 1080p in 1080p out. 1080i in 1080i out.

Last edited:

scribbler101

Established Member
damn. Hope he's wrong! lol
He's never wrong.

But on a wider front; will it not be possible to send this high definition stuff wirelessly?

I think the best bet is to totally ignore it for a decade, by which time it will be affordable and work properly.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
He's never wrong.

But on a wider front; will it not be possible to send this high definition stuff wirelessly?

I think the best bet is to totally ignore it for a decade, by which time it will be affordable and work properly.

Not yet though the network over the mains manafacturers are rumoured to be working on a power socket to power socket solution. You can send HD over cat5e cable using baluns though.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom