Out of the box and sitting Pretty

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by BabyCakes, Jan 24, 2008.

Tags:
  1. BabyCakes

BabyCakes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Why is it that so many people need to tinker with the settings on their LCD after they get it out of the box?

Sure - brightness may need to change but everything else should be calibrated at the factory.

I opened my Panasonic 32LMD70, put it on my stand, plugged it up and switched on. Three minutes later after all the auto-tuning everything looked beautiful.

Colours were natural and everything just worked.

Well done Panasonic. You are the best.

2. skipton01

skipton01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    The emphasis lies with the word 'should'!

I'm glad that you are pleased with the picture but in reality, if you were to put a colourimeter on it, I bet it'd be out in some way.

Some sets are better than others, but Panasonic usually are pretty good, but they will ALWAYS benefit from a bit of calibration.

This will apply again over time, as the backlight will vary with age.

Cheers,

Mike

3. evo7

evo7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    its ok saying its set at the factory but when you then get it out of the box and plug it into a dvd player running a cheap scart lead your not going to be getting the same colours ect,also you could have a £200 scart lead conected that shows every bit of detail and the factory settings such as sharpness my be too high so you end up with a over shapend picture.also you have to take into account the lighting in your viewing room as im sure its not as it is in the factory and then you have the most important and that being personal taste.lets face it if the settings were so perfect and that is the way they should be why do they give you a menu with the ability to adjust all the settings?

4. upthorpe

upthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I thought the picture on my Sony 40W3000 looked pretty garish on first plug in, found a thread on here with some alternate settings - copied these and it then looked brilliant.

I did hear that some manufacturers deliberately pump up the brightness and colour settings as their default to make their screen stand out in the showroom from all the other screens under bright artificial shop lights.

5. evo7

evo7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18

6. evo7

evo7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    my samsung has a shop mode on it and when its set to that its very bright and colour are vibrant