Out of the Ashes a Pheonix (Jessops) will arise

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by keefysher, Aug 11, 2013.

1. keefysher

keefysher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    I finally found the time to look for a new set up. After giving much thought I checked across the internet and all the usual suspects, but by the body and lenses I wanted, not by retailer.

All the retailers were within £20, the same price. Except for procamera.co.uk who were considerably cheaper. Not sure I wanted to spend a substantial sum on something sight unseen. I've bought new launched cars sight unseen, but that is kind of different.

Having discussed with my wife, it is my birthday this month, we decided we'd try to find a live touchable item.

We popped into town yesterday to get my glasses fixed and lo and behold Jessops in Basingstoke was alive and in the old shop. We popped in, saw a guy from Canon called Wesley, and booked a touchy feely session for today. Was happy with what I tried and placed the order for a new body and 2 lenses. The manager, Keith (good name) did a price match on memory cards.

It's great to see Jessops back in the market, support them where you can.

2. eddiewood

eddiewood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,145
  3. Jammyb

Jammyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +576
    No

They were a fairly amoral high street chain that put genuine local businesses out of business when they opened locally. They had good and bad people working for them in the stores and it was a shame for those people when they lost their jobs, but I don't feel like I'm supporting local 'bricks and mortar' business shopping in one any more than I do shopping at Tesco.

4. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,453
    +1

5. Johnmcl7

Johnmcl7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,531
    I knew the Jessops name was being revived but I thought it was going to be primarily online with a few stores in dense city areas where they'd have a large number of potential customers. However I noticed the local store has reopened here despite not being a particularly busy area.

I can't say I'm bothered though as before they closed they'd dumbed everything right down so that it was no longer of interest or any use to me.

John

6. simonblue

simonblue
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,799
    Not missing them at all,my local one was so bad never brought anything from.

7. eddiewood

eddiewood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,145
    I've missed my local. It was handy to try kit in Lowepro bags and then buy much cheaper on-line. :laugh:

That's the problem with high street bricks and mortar, it's expensive to run and the prices reflect that expense.

Still, they'll have crunched the numbers and identified profitable locations, so good luck to them.

8. twist

twist
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,992
    I also miss mine (they were very helpful), their prices on cameras/flashes werent far off online prices. Id rather have had the item there and then after testing and paid the extra £20 odd than waiting.

9. eddiewood

eddiewood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,145
    Fair point, they tended to be close enough for some purchases. I got a few things, Sony 50mm f1.4, A700, F42 flash and maybe the A700 VG.

I too valued having it in my hands right then and knowing that I could bang on the counter if it had to go back. I bought the A77 from a local Jacobs for the same reason and was chuffed to get a £60 bag I wanted thrown in making it the same price as web shops.

It was the bags, media etc., that were expensive in Jessops. Stuff that I wasn't bothered about and ordered on-line.

10. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,453
    TBH I never saw a price on bodies that came close to online - did see the odd lens "bargain sale" price that was pretty close to online but always pretty basic lenses...

11. twist

twist
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,992
    Go on Camerapricebuster mostly less than £10 difference between them and cheapest UK online prices on most of the popular models.

12. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,453
    are you talking "historically" or "the new mob" ? :confused:

13. twist

twist
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,992
    Both, their camera bodies from what I recall have always been within £20-30 difference max. A lot of the time they were the same price or like Eddiewood said did bundles that effectively made them cheaper.

14. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,453
    ...maybe for their online prices but in-store were more expensive than online and instore they wouldn't even price match with themselves...

15. twist

twist
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,992
    Fair enough, but not on all items, thats why there was also same day reserve & collect (usually within 1hr or sooner). Online prices + Quidco. Even when stuff wasnt instore they always offered to order in with no obligation to purchase.

16. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,453
    I know from experience that if you put the effort in instore you could usually eventually get them to deal but it just seemed like too much effort sometimes... :(

17. twist

twist
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,992
    :eek: So its your fault they went bust!! You never supported them like Eddie and I, you should be ashamed.

18. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,453
    LOL - "not quite" - I bought my original Dynax 600si Classic SLR kit there - instore (was in too much of a hurry to get it before the Wife changed her mind ;)) - my Tamron 55-200 and also my Sony A580 (replacement for the A500 after 3 years under SOGA after hassling Curry's) :p

19. twist

twist
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,992
    Okay, Ill let you off... this time.

20. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,453
    ...looks like I might have been the final straw with Currries though.... :rotfl:

21. twist

twist
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,992
    Never liked em anyway :D

22. Member 79251

Member 79251
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    Ah good old Jessops. I don't know what happened but since the reopen but I no longer see myself using them. That even goes for prints.

I did try and use the in store print service to print 34 6 x 4 standard images. I was shocked at the price. I was then told it was cheaper to get them online. :facepalm: I then said its quicker to walk around the corner and use a different 1 hour service and have them today.

23. Dexy

Dexy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Bought both my 5DMKII's from them, one from the store in Aberdeen and once trekked down to Edinburgh for the kit deal with 24-105, the Aberdeen store was pretty poor in comparison, I enjoy walking round large stores like the Edinburgh one, but for me, the Milton Keynes branch was the best, the guys spent half an hour with me whilst I tried all variants of body's and lenses to just walk out having purchased nothing. Since they were away Ive leaned towards online and grey market for sheer price.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  24. eddiewood

eddiewood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,145
    They wouldn't price match against their own website, so I used my phone to order off the web with collect in-store. It was a surreal experience, standing at the counter ordering the flash on the website.

A stupid policy, no wonder they went under. :suicide:

25. keefysher

keefysher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    The new branded version seems different to the old one.

I did check out quidco before going into the shop, but the body and lenses only have £180 worth of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 and Elements 11 software in the purchase, free (same as other retailers, but not procamerashop.co.uk). After getting home I ordered a Lowepro bag with 15% off and 5% cash back through quidco.

I did get a few hundred quid off the set up I wanted. The memory was price matched to Costco, which I'm more than happy with. That's a 'reduction' of 50% if you compare the original price at Jessops.

Previous staff have their jobs back.

There are also learning sessions available, bit like the Apple store.

Things appear better than before. I know when I looked previously I wouldn't have considered the old Jessops for a high value purchase, but this time I believe I got a good all round price and excellent service.

I fell off me bike when i was a kid, once. We had gas lamps in the street, and a bucket of water for a fridge in the back yard. ;);)