Out of service repairs

BobBob21

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My much used Canon 70-200 2.8 IS (mark 1) has become faulty in that it won't focus and the focusing ring doesn't change the focus either (either through the viewfinder nor on the range window). IS works, if the subjects at the right distance or its in manual focus mode then the aperture works/camera fires etc

Called the local Canon authorized repairer and they advise that Canon stopped support for the mark 1 a while ago and whilst I could send it to them and pay for an inspection the other recent "focus fault" lenses they've seen were all deemed unrepairable due to lack of parts (but it wasn't a technical person I was speaking to) and so they recommended saving my money.

Does anyone know of a good repairer for Canon who does things on a no fix, no fee type basis or simply is better at dealing with out of production items?

In my experience most 3rd party fixers will charge around £80 just to look at it and tell you what is wrong with it. Once you have the quote you can decide if it is economical to repair. I have used 1st Aide repairs in Tonbridge and Funky Electronics before and they both seem pretty good.

I've heard these mentioned a few times, and generally do good work apparently although I know they were slow with one person's but that was mainly because they couldn't fix it and sent it to Nikon. I've not used them though so can't give a personal recommendation

H. Lehmann Ltd Camera Repairs Canon & Nikon

You could try A J Johnstone & Co Ltd.
0141 221 2106
Camera Repair Technicians - A.J. Johnstone Camera Repairs

I contacted them for a repair on a Canon compact - back in 2007. They were prepared to give an idea of cost and turn around by email.

In the end I spoke to Canon customer services who after some wrangling agreed to do a fixed price repair for a common fault just out of warranty.
I'd speak to them too before you write off the lens.

I did speak to Lehmann already as they were recommended as good on a thread on another forum for out of production items but when I spoke to them there was a lot of "sucking air between teeth" and a view that if its out of support its probably not fixable (but I can send it for an opinion)

The only one that did sound more positive was a company near Guildford that said they'd dealt with others and it was a case of something slipping and could be fixed without parts but no promises until they've seen it. The only concern was that I could find minimal reviews of the company and whilst obviously its broken its still a valuable asset for me to be sending to a "random" company that I can find very little info on.

Is it CRD in Cranleigh then ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom