1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out of phase rears. Good or bad?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by JFK, Jan 22, 2003.

1. JFK

JFK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have monopoles for rears and reasonably happy with their sound. Would making them out of phase (changing polarity of speaker cable) give me a more dispersed wraparound effect and would it damage anything by doing this.

2. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The phase error should give a more diffuse soundstage at the rear, but you run the risk of cancelling out lower frequencies if you run the satellites out of phase with each other. Changing the polarity at the speaker shouldn't do it or the amp any harm, so experiment and see what happens.

3. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't recommend it, you'll lose effect placement between the front soundstage and the rear as they'll be out of phase.

Not a good idea.

If you want a diffuse soundfield get some dedicated dipole speakers, the principle behind them is quite different as I'm sure you'll know - it's not as simple as having some drivers out of phase.

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +567
    You could try aiming the rear speakers at the wall or at the ceiling, or pretty much anywhere other than directly at the listening position.

5. JFK

JFK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    My rears are B&W 302. They go down to 70htz but I have them set to small so my mains (602 s3) take the bass from 90htz and down and when I get a sub it will be sent there. Would there be a lot of cancelling frequencies by changing polarity and make all things sound very odd.

6. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Absolutely, just try listening to a source in plain old stereo with one of your front speakers out of phase with the other and listen to how disjointed and unfocused it sounds.

It's this kind of effect you would experience between the fronts and rears.