1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

out of frequency problem on pma400e

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dougall, Aug 26, 2003.

1. dougall

dougall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help me. I have connected my dvd player up via a JS rgb to component convertor and now on certain scenes on dvds the screen goes black and a message appears that reads "out of frequency"...is this a faulty convertor box or what???..as my dvd player was okay when linking it up via s-video. I can't understand why this only happens on certain scenes and not all the time though.....have looked through the manuals but can't find any explanation!!!

2. manc

manc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this very same problem with my sony ns905 dvd player using a JS rgb-component converter.

I tried the same disks on the same system with a freinds dvd player and it was fine.

I think there is an incompatibility with some players the JS box and the hitachi display, i suspect something to do with its fickleness over frequencys as some disks were fine but the majority had this problem.

After posting on the forum I could not resolve the problem so the only solution was to get a dvd player with component out.

3. dougall

dougall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you got a player with a component output were you still able to loop the sky digital through it hence not requiring a js convertor at all???

4. manc

manc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunatelly not, the player cannot convery scart - component. I got sky+ and used a quality svideo cable, there isnt a huge difference for sky quality.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You have a typical Hitachi prob. there, shame on an otherwise serious value screen. Can't use the VGA box either. A player with component and an s-video box or just the cable if you have s-vid out on ypour sky box is the way to go. The s-vid signal seems to actually suit TV sometimes better than other methods, so nothing to cry about.

6. dougall

dougall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I am going to bite the bullet and buy a dvd player with component out and then stick a scart to s-video lead on the back of my sky to the plasma.......i am going to avoid convertor boxes...thanks for the advice guys.

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Sorry to burst your bubble but you'll need a converter for the Sky RGB scart to S-video conversion!!! :)

8. dougall

dougall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I not just get one of those RGB scart to S-video leads from JS for around £30? They also do convertor swithes for £3 but i thought it may be better to get the lead.

9. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    It's not the converter, but rather the DVD player. What the converter does is to faithfully convert what it receives. Unfortunately, a tiny number of DVD players output is too fast. This too fast signal is converted by the DVD player, and passed to the screen.

The screen is then not able to adapt quickly enough to the input signal, and hence produces an out of range error.

I've just spoken to Dougall on the phone, and while the DVD player causes this on certain scenes, Sky is always working fine.

So, what's the solution? We have investigated this in the past, and it seems more to do with cost cutting in the DVD player than anything else. But, we do have a modification which we can put into the component converter. It's quite complex, but we would turn around the unit quickly.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Interesting, Dr Sim. They've always worked for me except occasionally with Hitachis. On the subject of the scart-s-video, of course some STB's do put out an s-vid signal on their scart, you have to look in the menu to see if yours can

11. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    MAW,
    we have the option to try with the modifiction to see if it's because of the DVD player being too fast, so I think it's worth a go.

As for connecting to different screens, there's always some which are slightly more difficult to interface than others. I've got to try and work round these screens to get the best from them.

As for SCART to S-Video leads, you've got to ensure that the SCART has an S-Video signal to start with. Just because you have SCART don't mean you have RGB or S-Video! Hence, my first innovation, RGB to S-Video.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

12. manc

manc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you got to the bottom of this sir, out of interest i tried my new dvd player (sony ns930) thru the scart to your converter to the component on the screen and it has the same "out of frequency" problems as my old player (sony ns905).

If the modification works I would be interested in having it undertaken so I can put my sky through the component input aswell as the dvd player :)

Regarding Scart - Svideo leads I have tried this before with my screen but unfortunatelly I only get a black and white screen. After looking at a wiring diagram of a scart plug I could not see any of the pins marked for svideo signal as I understand it (Luminance and Chrominence). How do the leads work? Does it use some kind on composite signal?

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    S-video from scart is like sex appeal, you've either got it or you haven't! If you haven't you get a B/W picture, with just the lumiance signal being displayed. If you can't turn on s-vid in the menu you do need Dr JS's box, or another lesser device from the competition. But then you don't see the competition here refining their product and offering modifications, so draw you own conclusions.

14. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes, just give me an email first please.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.