Our new Website........

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by screemer, Apr 25, 2007.

1. screemer

screemer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Only just realised there is a photo section on here after all this time. We have just started our new website up, maybe some of you would like to check it out, see what u think....

http://www.finelinephotography.co.uk/

2. allymac123

allymac123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +435
    I like the design - nice and simple.

I don't like the "hosted by clickpix" over all the images though it. If someone wants to steal a 500 pixels picture then let them I say. They're not going to be able to do much with it. The watermark just makes the it look cheap imo and its harder to see the picture properly.

3. digigal

digigal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's lovely! I didn't see the "hosted by..." on the gallery photos. I agree that I'd take them off (or lighten them if you're concerned about people stealing them). Nice site!!:thumbsup:

4. screemer

screemer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Good valid points, thanks. I will look at reducing the opacity of them a bit.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
  6. screemer

screemer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Any suggestions on improvements or the quality of the pictures?

7. imcarm

imcarm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a look at the clikpic site and gave the 7 day trial a quick go. I was really impressed with how easy everything is to set up, although I soon realised my first impressions would not last.

*The maximum image width should be set to between 400 and 600 pixels. Some styles have a maximum of 400. NB the maximum file size of images is 160kb.*

The maximum width I feel should really be 800px or more, especially if your trying to showcase an image for profit. 400 - 600 pixels is just too much of a limitation (even the free flikr, fotolia and photobucket sites allow images of 800px or more)

While I do think it's a nice simple way to display ones work with a professional look, the image size restrictions do annoy me as does the lack of any bulk and/or FTP upload. Unless you want to spend £80.00 (this gives you a bulk upload of 5 images) or £180 (this gives you bulk and ftp uploads)

Sorry to go a bit off topic screemer. Your site looks very good with some very impressive images :thumbsup: but you cannot improve the quality of your images with the above mentioned file size restrictions.. If I was paying for this service then I would expect to be able to offer a choice of resolutions, right up to the maximum size my camera can manage (3456x2304), I would want potential customers too see my images at the maximum resolution, for the best overall impact.

Not a rant, I'm just a little dissapointed with what could of been.

8. h4rri

h4rri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    *cough* www.smugmug.com ;)

OP: Agreed nice looking site and beautiful images. Good luck with your sales :)

9. Brammers

Brammers
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Your website is great. Simple to use, classy and uncluttered.
    Loads fast too.

A few minor points - the guestbook is a bit lame - telling people to use 'contact us' Get it finished asap, and make sure it looks full. An empty guestbook is never a good sign!

I'm also not sure about the order of the links - you've got Home, then Galleries (a product), then News, Links, Contact (interaction), then Prices (product), Guestbook (interaction) and slideshows (product). Doesn't seem too logical to me!

I can't find fault with your flower shots, really nicely done. Your landscapes are good, but many of them don't blow me away. Southport Sunset is a bit generic, there's no focal point. Oil rig is the same, and doesn't seem to be cropped that well. Southport bridge has large areas of blown highlights - the lights on the right are just a mass of white. They're good shots, but not truly great.

These are balanced by many really, really good shots - I love Gas Towers, Misty Morning and Crackington Heath. I guess as you take more pictures you'll be able to move up from the overall good standard to an overall excellent standard :)