Our Dublin House...well Cottage Really!

illingworth22

Established Member
Reaction score
Well the time is nearly upon Me & “Her Indoors” we should have exchanged contracts on Friday and while I was in the Pub having an early celebratory Pint my solicitor phoned to say the final two documents had not yet arrived and the closing would not be done till Monday. Wait till the Builder finds out!

The house Floor Plan as it is now!
House%20Current.jpg

And after a Friend of the Wife, Sasha, got his Design Hands on it (thank's Sasha)
House%20Plan%20After.jpg

Here is the link to Floorplanner
37 RCB | powered by Floorplanner.com
there are two planed on there the original house (Cottage) which has the 4 main rooms off the hall, the back building which leads out to the yard and the Garage at the back. The back building will be demolished and we are building an extension which is 7 meters back by 7.5 meters wide.
The Av Node0 is either going to be located in the new utility or (My) the TV Room/Office.
Current kit includes:-

Sony Z4500 40” LCD
Sony 40S 2510 40” LCD
Sony ES STR 5200 AV Amp
Sony STR DB1070 5.1 AV Amp
Kef 2005.2 5.1 Speakers
Sony XL 201 Home Media PC
Sony BD 350 Blu Ray
Sky HD
Humax PVR

I have also purchased 900 or so meters of CAT6 cabling and 100 meters of Van Dam Blue speaker cable.
The Kef's will go in the Lounge with an additional 2 speakers in the ceiling, Mid left & right, to make a 7.1 set up, I am looking at Kef Ci 160 for the additionals.
All the Face Plates are the modular type, I ordered the Speaker Binding posts from www.nexxia.co.uk (8 x NX-WP-005 Speaker Binding Post Wall Plates 2 Terminal, 8 x NX-WP-006 Speaker Binding Post Wall Plates 4 Terminal, 2 x NX-WP-024B Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound Binding Post Wall Plate and 2 x NX-WP-037B Dolby 7.1 Surround Sound Binding Post Wall Plates in white) and I got the Modular Face Plates (Cat 6, HDMI etc) from Outlet Plates, Patresses and Trunking, TV/Radio/Satellite Plates

I have quotes for Rako Wired Lighting and Crestron iLUX to be fitted, firstly, to the extension then when funds permit I will fit the remainder house with the added (retro fit) automated lighting. See my post in “Automated Home” http://www.avforums.com/forums/home...imate-control/1133507-automated-lighting.html and http://www.avforums.com/forums/home...g-its-down-final-2-rako-vs-crestron-ilux.html section (this Automated Lighting is a nightmare to get your head around).

The Lounge & TV Room/Office will have 8 runs of Cat6, 4 runs of Sat and a TV & FM. The Bedrooms will have 4 runs of Cat6, 2 Sat feeds and 1 TV and 1 FM. All the rooms will have hidden wiring for the speakers too.

I will add the pictures over the weekend of the house as it is now. Then I will keep updating as I go on.

I will also try add the names of all the people who have either inspired me with designs (mainly the F&*king Force fella with all his Fab equipment) as well as any others who have helped with advice on Automated Lighting etc!

If anyone wants to make any suggestions on wireing or design please feel free to do so!

Front of the House
IMG_0300.jpg

Front of the House
IMG_0288-Copy.jpg

From the Front Door Step
IMG_0302-1.jpg

Through to the "Basin"
IMG_0290.jpg

The "Basin"
Picture-3.jpg

The "Basin"
Picture-2.jpg

The Park infront of the House
Picture.jpg

Now here are some of the pictures from the inside.... you will see that we have our work cut out!

The Hall from the front door... you can just see down the far end the current extension which is to be demolished!
IMG_0235.JPG

The Back Left room..... this will be the Master En Suit
IMG_0229%20-%20Copy.JPG

The Back Right room..... this will be the Utility Room
IMG_0234%20-%20Copy.JPG

The Front Left room..... this will be the Master Bedroom, where the sideboard is will be the walkway thro to the walk in wardrobe
IMG_0238a.JPG

The Front Right room..... this will be the second Bedroom
IMG_0236.JPG

Another Back Right room..... Utility Room
IMG_0233.JPG

Another Back Left room..... Master Bedroom En Suit
IMG_0232.JPG

Let me know if the pictures are tooooo big!

Last edited:
So is the office really going to be a TV room?

If so I would wall mount the display with all the kit in the utility room and one hdmi cable coming through the wall. I did that in my lounge and gives you a really clean finish, no wires, no kit.

If so I would wall mount the display with all the kit in the utility room and one hdmi cable coming through the wall. I did that in my lounge and gives you a really clean finish, no wires, no kit.

All Sound & Picture will be sent over Cat6 sent from the AV (Node0) cabinet. All the speaker and Cat 6 will be behind the walls so not visible. I will post some pictures tonight of the Nexia binding posts!

Well it is a TV room really I only call it an office cos it's got all the computer & AV gubbin's in there!

wow this looks really good, will be following this one :)

good luck with everything!

Fellow Yorkshire Man I see! We have our work cut out.... never done owt like it afore!

I have allready spent about £900 quid (1,100 euro's)and I havn't even started the build!

Here are some pictures of the Nexxia speaker binding posts :)

gse_multipart909882004091171755.tmp.jpg

gse_multipart8986939022286091151.tmp.jpg

Last edited:
And my thanks got to

hornydragon - DIYlady - vex - dj-dulux -

ooooooh and DJMALLZ ;)

for their Automated Lighting help

and for inspiration (I know I will miss out a few here!)
THE_FORCE (for his truely inspiring work :thumbsup:) http://www.avforums.com/forums/members-home-cinema-gallery/520886-my-little-effort.html
S2Tigger http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-diy/1121767-new-whole-house-video-audio-cinema.html

These are just a few of Many.... The 2 lads from Yorkshire, Doncaster way if my memory serves me right!

Anyway thans to you all for everything :) :thumbsup: :hiya:

Last edited:
Wow, what a pad. Its like walking into an old miners house, looking at your pictures. Gonna watch with interest Illingworth. Although my head just exploded with the automated lighting thread. But good luck from me m8 with the renovation.

Wow, what a pad. Its like walking into an old miners house, looking at your pictures. Gonna watch with interest Illingworth. Although my head just exploded with the automated lighting thread. But good luck from me m8 with the renovation.

It is actually an old Cottage for the Canal, from what we are told. Guiness built the Canal's in Dublin to move their fine ;) product arround :)
The Wife is still saying "Are you sure we've done the right thing!" When my Mum & Dad came ove a year ago when we first saw the place and all my Mum kept saying was "Gosh"......"Gosh"...... (into another room) "Gosh"...... and the next room.... you guessed it "Gosh"......

It's not as bad as it first seems, but there is at least 2 months work! Oh well we don't have to be there while it's going on :)

Last edited:
And my thanks got to

hornydragon - DIYlady -vex - dj-dulux -

for their Automated Lighting help

no thanks to me too.??OUTRAGGED!! LOL

anyway looks like a sweet project, I would say stick with Rako for retrofit as we discussed in the other thread, it's the best for retrofit diy. I could probably be wrong since I never looked into crestron Ilux, but i'm sure it's more expensive. also rako has a lot of potential and some new sweet additional features in the works.

also with a bit of creativity you can create a wow factor on the front garden with some led rgb lighting should the budget allow..

I have allready spent about £900 quid (1,100 euro's)and I havn't even started the build!

Here are some pictures of the Nexxia speaker binding posts :)

gse_multipart909882004091171755.tmp.jpg

gse_multipart8986939022286091151.tmp.jpg
Nice, but I have decided to make my own with brushed s/steel blanking plates and banana sockets, worked out that the 7.1 setup will cost me around £30...yep...£30!!;)

Wow, proper blank canvas style but what a lovely canvas to start with.

Beautiful place. Looking forward to the redecoration :thumbsup:

Can't believe your gonna change it all around, sure the existing decor is lovely:D:eek:

Love the way the faceplates look, nice and tidy job for sure:smashin: Nice wee spot you've got on the canal and with some park out front etc...not too many like this around Dublin I wouldn't have thought.

Can't believe your gonna change it all around, sure the existing decor is lovely:D:eek:

Love the way the faceplates look, nice and tidy job for sure:smashin: Nice wee spot you've got on the canal and with some park out front etc...not too many like this around Dublin I wouldn't have thought.

We are keeping the Decor, just putting in new doors and carpet! Don't you like the wall paper? ;)

OK only a few more pictures of the House before any work starts.... well the builder was in today and started ripping off the room on the bathroom. This wife was quite mad actually, she shinks the Bath may have suffered some slight damage and the water heater is now exposed to the ellements!

Back Room with view into Kitchen & Bathroom
pano_1.jpg

Bathroom
pano_2.jpg

Back Bedroom
pano_5.jpg

Lounge
pano_6.jpg

The next pictures will show some work.... honest! :)

Last edited:
Shame about the damage to the bath. Avocado green might be fashionable again one day :rotfl:

Alz,
I have the picture of your Telly in my "Design Wish List" folder! :thumbsup:

beautiful little cottage illingworth :smashin:
i look forward to seeing this one develop:thumbsup:

Wow, this is going to be quite a transformation, will be like stepping foot into the tardis. Looks like a great location too. Good luck with your project. :smashin:

I looked at those nexxia faceplates, really do look the business, but I went the DIY route in the end.

The whole back extension is now down :thumbsup: I will post pictures when the builders have cleared out all the rubble!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom