My 5.1.2 Atmos cinema with devore, link recliners & DIY masking!

Broadsword

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Update 20th June 21: I've added some screen wall Devore to improve blacks and contrast, see pictures below.

Update 23rd October 21: New recliners from Furniture Village arrived.

Update 5th April 22: Monoprice thx365 Center replacing the mission mc2c.

Update 7th April 22: DIY masking panel made for 2.35:1 movies.

Thought I would share the cinema room that we created during lockdown. The room was a spare double bedroom with an alcove that hadn't been properly used for years really, was just a dumping ground for boxes and stuff. Anyway we had a wall high cupboard built in the alcove, dug up the old Sanyo z2000 and mission speakers from the garage and loft and installed them after a coat of paint. The speaker cables for the fronts are ran under the carpet round the room and into the alcove where they are fed up into the top of the cupboard where the kit is kept. The atmos speaker cables are fed in through the loft along with the projector cables.

I would love to upgrade the projector to a 4k compatible one but can't justify the outlay at the moment while the 12 year old Sanyo is still producing excellent images. The speakers are older, I bought them in 2003 when Beech was still an ok option. I have tried to think about how to wrap them in velvet or something but I havent really got the time to think it through properly.

I have in the past just projected onto the wall and never really though a screen would add that much so never bothered but boy was I wrong. It has transformer the room. Next job is to frame up the devore I have left over from the last room I did and try to get rid of the reflections.

IMG_4306.jpg
IMG_4307.jpg

You can see the D Line trunking hiding the power for the BK Sub below, the phono cable runs under the carpet along with the speaker wires.

IMG_4308.jpg

My Dark Knight and Kill Bill posters final get to see the light and are resurrected. Its been a while. The bipole speakers are great too, perfect for a back wall. It was fun learning how to get the wires behind the dot and dab and where to drill from above.

image4.jpeg

Furniture village Link recliners in Grey Fabric with bespoke center reclining section.

image6.jpeg

Atmos speakers match the colour of the walls.

IMG_4311.jpg

You can see the harmony blaster towards the right there on top of the cupboard architrave so we have line of sight to the projector even with the doors shut. Two Besta cabinets were used at the top to give some order to the kit, all the jungle of power cables and switches etc is hidden behind there. The speaker cables come up from the floor behind the left hand side cupboard return and join up with the cables coming down from the loft. You can see the blue plastic which has my old left over devore fabric which Im going to somehow utilise somewhere at some point.

6B7DA6F3-4533-407D-8553-4FFC8620CE80.jpeg

Shelves are a bit messy at the moment but we will use them to store duvets and blankets and other bulky stuff when I get around to tidying it up. I'm thinking of researching how to set up an old router to use as a an ethernet wifi hotspot for in here as the wifi router is at the other side of the house. Not much uses wifi as its mostly hardwired using an external run of Cat 5e but sometimes the Denon app loses connections and it would be good for using phones and tablets and such.

Daylight shot of the screen, this would have been totally washed out when we were using the wall, so really happy with the screen. I've been looking for something budget for a long time and saw this Qualgear one on ebay for £210 so snapped it up. Amazon have been out of stock of these for 6 months or so. Wanted a grey 0.9 gain one, this is 1.2 gain but actually the added brightness is really nice and after a bit of settings stealing from avsforum the blacks are actually better than they were. Would love to come up with a masking solution using the devore for 2.35 copntent but trying to work out the material to use and how to connect is something that I keep putting off.

Govee strip lights controlled using alexa.

IMG_4324.jpg

The circular LED lights are by Briloner and are really nice, they match the circular shape of the ceiling speakers which was the reason I got them. It also allows the light from the projector to go underneath and not leave a shadow. We were going to get spots installed but this was the cheaper option plus the elctrician we had let us down 3 times. He was going to do the spots and power for the projector and cupboard too but I ended up doing that myself. You can dim the lights by 3 levels using the wall switch and it remembers your last level too.

79F5B992-0386-49CB-9BFC-303B90B8FC4F.jpeg

So over the weekend I've used the left over Devore fabric I had from the last house to cover the screen wall and the center speaker. Ive used notice board pins to attach the fabric and it seems to work quite well. Not the cleanist way of doing it granted but with the lights out who cares. I just ran out of fabric for the center speaker though.

IMG_4510.jpg

Instant improvement to contrast and blacks.

IMG_4508.jpg

And the masking panel in use:

594BC029-C822-4BC2-A9CF-9A148ACDDE40.jpeg

The kit is:

Epson EH-TW9400 Projector
Qualgear 110" Screen
Denon x2600 Amp
Sky Q mini
Monoprice monolith thx 365c center
Mission M35 fronts
Kef Cresta 10 surrounds
BK xls400 subwoofer
Monitor Audio C280-IDC atmos in ceiling
Custom Design CS300 center speaker stand
Apple TV 4k 2nd Gen
Panasonic UB450EB 4k blu ray player
PS4
XBox One S
Nintendo Switch
Monoprice fire rated CL2 speaker cable
Harmony Elite
QNAP NAS
Furniture Village "Link" three seater power recline, power headrest in Grey.

Attachments

• IMG_4317.jpg
    IMG_4317.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 1,815
  • IMG_4511.jpg
    IMG_4511.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 1,622
Last edited:
Nice clean setup mate

Looks a great place to watch movies in.
resurrecting your kit was a smart move.
It looks very tidy

That’s a nice clean set up and speakers still look decent

How big is the room? Looks smart

Thanks, it turned out better than we thought it would, it doesn't look like it but it took a hell of a lot of work to hide the cables, install the speakers hiding the cables under the carpet and in the walls for the rears. We also put in a new fused spur for power in the loft and also into the top of the cupboard. All very amatuer really but worth it in the end.

The room is 3.2m wide excluding the alcove and 3.9m from projector to screen wall. Screen is 110" diagonal which I think is about 2.5m Wide.

Last edited:
Looks smart.

You should consider making the wall or the area around the screen darker to improve daytime viewing.

Perhaps look at vinyl wrapthe speakers the speakers...

Looks smart.

You should consider making the wall or the area around the screen darker to improve daytime viewing.

Perhaps look at vinyl wrapthe speakers the speakers...

Thats what the Devore is for, last time I made some frames with some 2 by 2 but it took ages, Im considering either some foam to wrap. WE don;t really use it during the day though.

Not quite sure how to even start with something like vinyl wrapping them, the corners and joins would need to be perfect otherwise my OCD would kick in. Something to look into though.

Looking at the shape of the front speakers, the sides and top are flat and the front baffle is curved.

The front baffle would be trickier, to do it properly youd need to remove the drivers and the plastic trim, a very steady hand, sharp cutting knife. The sub would be much easier to wrap though..

Looks great, well done! All I'd change would be the colour - if it is long term I would paint the walls (and ceiling!) very dark (dulux night jewels 2) and also spray the speakers with painters touch, light sand, careful masking with frog tape and they would come out like a new speaker - this is all my OCD! Oh and black velvet or graphene on top of centre speaker! It looks and I'm sure sounds great, well done again

hi, your setup is very nice!! your speakers colour is also just fine, they look just fine!! I bet they sound even better!!! enjoy

Looks great, well done! All I'd change would be the colour - if it is long term I would paint the walls (and ceiling!) very dark (dulux night jewels 2) and also spray the speakers with painters touch, light sand, careful masking with frog tape and they would come out like a new speaker - this is all my OCD! Oh and black velvet or graphene on top of centre speaker! It looks and I'm sure sounds great, well done again

Thanks, I went through the whole devore panels in my last house and to be honest I'm not sure I have the motivation to go through it again lol. Painting the speakers are a no no too I think as Im not sure I would do a good enouigh job with them. So yeah, its not ideal but as a home family room its not bad.

That’s a nice set up. :clap:

I’ve literally just completed a bedroom renovation with a LG 48CX OLED and Sonos 5.1 which I thought was great, but this just puts it to shame :D

Last edited:
Nice clean setup. Any chance of taking a picture of light switch. Just like to see how they've incorporated dimmer options 👍🏼

Nice clean setup. Any chance of taking a picture of light switch. Just like to see how they've incorporated dimmer options 👍🏼

The switch is just a normal Varilight switch that you can find in b and q. It has three brightness settings and you activate each by turning on and off within 5 seconds and then it remembers the last setting. Works well.

I’ve just ordered a Furniture village 3 seater “Link” power recline and power headrest sofa. All three seats recline as they did a special offer for me. It will be a little tighter in the room when it’s here but it will be nice to be able to fit all three of us in there more comfortably. ETA is around October though.

I had my Amazon basics subwoofer cable stop working. It’s routed under the carpets and into the cupboard so had to lift the carpet to remove it. Not good having to redo stuff once it’s finished.

New recliners have arrived today, very exciting after 17 weeks of waiting. Furniture village link recliners with power headrest. They said they could do a bespoke center reclining section as normally the center doesn't recline on three seaters from the ususal places. They were the only shop that said they could do that. So we paid a bit extra for that, it wasn't cheap but worth it in the end. I did originally buy the octane azures but found them to be so uncomforatable they collected them and refunded me. Very happy with these, much more comforatable than the octanes were. You can get the cupholder sections too for the middle, but we dont have the space for those.

So these are the Link two seater recliner with power headrest in Grey fabric with a bespoke power recline and hedrest center section. Total cost £1,795. You can pick up the three seater without power recline in the center for around £1,200, but that is the smaller center section seat. Ours is the larger seat in the middle. So I think we paid £600 more for the center section. But it's the only recliner with headrest power we found that was in budget so we stomached the extra.

So far really happy with them.

image4.jpeg
image7.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image6.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice indeed. Nice and clean as already mentioned.

I’ve had my [cherry] Mission M35’s for probably 15 years now - a solid purchase if I do say so myself.

Get on to your preferred search engine and look for local graphic/sign businesses. I took my front and rears to my local establishment last year and got them wrapped in a gloss black finish that cost me £120 IIRC.

I did consider having them professionally sprayed but the cost to do so would of been a lot of work and three times as much, if not more.

All in all Im very happy with the way they turned out and the wrap has held up very well indeed.

I don’t have to my setup handy but definitely check it out as youll be pleasantly surprised.

👍🏼

That really is a fantastic room..would love a dedicated room like that in our house!

Our new sofas arrived from Furniture Village also a couple of weeks ago. It was a very long wait from ordering in March but they were worth it in the end as it's so comfortable and we can finally enjoy watching movies agin without the aches and pains from the old sofa.

My room dimensions and cinema specifications are very similar to yours. I also have 5.1.2 and a 110" screen. However, my screen is a pulldown with a TV behind it.

I want to achieve what you have. Move the TV and replace the pulldown with a fixed frame screen. I love the Devore look and I was going to ask how you did it. I see you've tacked it on. I think that looks great so I'm going to see if I can give that a shot. Thanks for sharing - wonderful room. Well done.

My room dimensions and cinema specifications are very similar to yours. I also have 5.1.2 and a 110" screen. However, my screen is a pulldown with a TV behind it.

I want to achieve what you have. Move the TV and replace the pulldown with a fixed frame screen. I love the Devore look and I was going to ask how you did it. I see you've tacked it on. I think that looks great so I'm going to see if I can give that a shot. Thanks for sharing - wonderful room. Well done.
Thanks, much appreciated. We love the room.

Ive had the devore left over from my last house for some time. I spent about an hour putting it up without really taking too much time on it. I'm sure you would be able to do a better job than I did if you take a bit more care. I just used the cork board pins to tack direct to the wall. The black ones obviosuly are hidden better, you can see some of the other colours more on the right side of the screen where I ran out of balck ones. I did home made frames last time and it took ages and to be honest this is just as good for a tenth of the effort and time. I have looked at adding more devore but last time I looked it was over £24 per meter which is more than three times the MVEL22 from tia. Ive ordered a sample.

Very nice indeed. Nice and clean as already mentioned.

I’ve had my [cherry] Mission M35’s for probably 15 years now - a solid purchase if I do say so myself.

Get on to your preferred search engine and look for local graphic/sign businesses. I took my front and rears to my local establishment last year and got them wrapped in a gloss black finish that cost me £120 IIRC.

I did consider having them professionally sprayed but the cost to do so would of been a lot of work and three times as much, if not more.

All in all Im very happy with the way they turned out and the wrap has held up very well indeed.

I don’t have to my setup handy but definitely check it out as youll be pleasantly surprised.

👍🏼

Been meaning to reply to this for some time, I love your speaker coverings so I’m going to try to copy you, but with a Matt black instead. Thankfully I have a client who creates exhibition stands who works with vinyl all the time who is going to assist with it for me. Dropping the speakers off next week, I’ll report back with pics when they are done.

These small improvements are what makes this hobby for me. I’m also going to get more velvet for the side walls too. Next after that will be the ceiling although that will be harder to get past the wife.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom