Otterbox Defender Case - WOW!

deksawyer

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just received an Otterbox Defender case for my ipad and I have to say, what a piece of kit!

It was bought by the wife for my Christmas, so I didn't know if she'll let me play with it until Dec 25th, but for the ultimate in protection, I think it's hard to beat.

Has a detachable back, which also doubles as a stand and a front cover as well as a removable cover so it can sit in a dock without removing the case.

Expensive, but SO much better than the Apple case I have at the minute. Pretty heavy as well, so time will tell if that's a problem.

Pics later...

D.

Last edited:
Small gallery here;

otterbox Photo Gallery by deksawyer at pbase.com

Not had a chance to fit the ipad yet as I need to take my time and fit the (included) screen protector. Quality is A1 though, as you'd expect.

cheers

D.

EDIT - ipad fitted with the existing screen protector (I'll keep the Otterbox one as a spare).

Last edited:
Just my opinion and apologies to the OP but I think this looks horrendous. :rolleyes:

Just my opinion and apologies to the OP but I think this looks horrendous. :rolleyes:

It depends if you need full protection I guess. It is overkill if you are just bothered about getting a few scratches but for dropping etc this is ok I guess. (I wouldn't buy one though either :))

I had the same case and ended up getting full refund .it fitted far to tight up against screen and caused screen to go faulty.luckily apple replaced iPad.
On another note I use a defender on my iPhone 4 and it's excellent.

No worries, you won't offend me! :smashin:

I realise it's not to everyone's taste, but full protection was what I was after having previously dropped my ipad on my kitchen floor.

The otterbox case fits perfectly, not too tight or too loose and it actually makes the ipad feel even more expensive than it is. It's a joy to hold it now and lying in bed reading Kindle is even more of a pleasure. The extra weight of the case has somehow added to the ipad experience.

The Apple case was OK if a bit expensive and very basic. I'm also not a fan of those leather cases everyone seems to be using either - they're a bit clumsy and old fashioned looking but I admit to never having seen one in the flesh.

I'm extremely pleased with the Otterbox case and recommend it to anyone who's considering it (and thanks for my GF for letting me have it before Christmas day!).

D.

I was scared to use mine until I got it wrapped in this amazing case.

Only downside I find is it's a bit heavier than I would like but it's a small price to pay for the total piece of mind you get, I had a look at the official case and found it far to flimsy for my needs.

I have the defender case for ipad as well it's a nice design and excellent protection.

I noticed an oil slick like anomaly on the lcd screen when it is viewed at a slight angle, it measures about 5cm x 1cm.

I thought this was a Apple manufacturing defect with the lcd screen until I read in this forum and the Mac rumours forum that people were having problems with the case fitting to tightly and causing screen anomalies.

I have taken my case off and the anomaly has gone when I refit it it re-appears.

What worries me is the one post on this forum that says and I quote "I had the same case and ended up getting full refund it fitted far to tight up against screen and caused screen to go faulty.luckily apple replaced iPad."

doesn't sound good to me, one guy on the mac rumors forum got a Dremmel to his case to make it fit without affecting his ipad screen!

to add to my post above I'm trying to video the oil slick anomally and will upload it when I've done.

what's made me more concerned about using the ipad with this case is that the size of the oil slick is about 5cmm x 1cm when there is no finger contact but when you start touching the screen it spreads massively, this lcd bleed as I'm going to call it surely can not be good when the device is switched on.

I notice that with the case removed theres is no lcd bleed whatsoever no matter how hard you press on the screen and I wonder if the otterbox is putting pressure on some sensitive areas around the ipad perimeter or perhaps slightly bending the lcd.

How frequent are these problems?

I was about to order one of these cases after deciding it was sufficiently different to my current bog standard leather case

cheers

not sure how frequent they are but I've come across about eight users saying the case is tight and causes the lcd bleed check out the macrumours forum

Otterbox Defender case, oilslick reply, not helpful! - MacRumors Forums

my theory is it's a manufacturing fault and may only affect a few cases but you also have to take into account:
-some people may not have noticed the oil slick at all
-some may disregard it as I did initially
-how many people haven't aired their view
-some may not care etc etc.

also bear in mind as the ipad is relatively new so the cases are as well, it may take time for it to become an acknowledged problem

I for one will not be risking possible damage to my £400 bit of tec unless otterbox decide to send me another and I can see whether it is a small batch problem.

It's a shame because the idea is good it's rugged well designed and covers the screen with a hard shell all bonuses but at what cost?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, Im certainly not desperate enough for the case to overlook a problem like you mention.

I think its possible it could be a bad batch perhaps, the reviews on amazon are 100% although ive just noticed they use the same reviews for both the defender and the commuter model.

Im tempted to order one from amazon as they have exceptional return policies - would you think the problems would be immediately evident if it exists?

Also, do you have to apply a screen protector as part of the defender set up? I like it covered when its in a bag etc but dont like the stick on ones for when im actually using it.

If I do decide to take the plunge I will post back with some feedback on it, but im keen to hear your thoughts

Cheers

I can see the oil slick appear as soon as i've put the first half of the case on

you can see the procedure for fitting the case on you tube

YouTube - Installation Instructions for the iPad Defender Series From OtterBox

it comes with one of those stick on protectors but you dont have to use it

the bonus with these cases is the hard plastic shield which clips onto the front of the screen when not in use

good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks again, so if it was not for the oil slick issue I assume you would otherwise be quite happy with the case?

Ill get one ordered now and see how I get on, anything less than perfect and it will go straight back.

Ill post some comments once its arrived.

Keep a close check on iPad as oilslick took a few weeks to show on mine,as I stated in above post screen ended up nackered it had a inch wide horizontal line across screen and iPad was unusable.

The oil slick phenomenon is not new for otterbox cases, my defender on 3gs has always had this problem, never actually damages the screen though.
There are a couple of vids of folks fixing it with talc, i tried that but could always see some tiny specs, I settled by using a non reflective/ antiglare screen protector and it has not happened since. Love the defender case so much I have put up with tis compromise, they aparantly fixed it with iphone 4 defender (not with the iPad tho!)

The oil slick phenomenon is not new for otterbox cases, my defender on 3gs has always had this problem, never actually damages the screen though.
There are a couple of vids of folks fixing it with talc, i tried that but could always see some tiny specs, I settled by using a non reflective/ antiglare screen protector and it has not happened since. Love the defender case so much I have put up with tis compromise, they aparantly fixed it with iphone 4 defender (not with the iPad tho!)

The thing is with 3GS case it was caused by plastic screen on case sticking to phone screen causing oil slick.with iPad there is no inbuilt screen protector on case,oilslick is caused by case being far too tight a fit to iPad and pressure being applied to screen constantly causing oilslick and with my iPad damaging screen .

The thing is with 3GS case it was caused by plastic screen on case sticking to phone screen causing oil slick.with iPad there is no inbuilt screen protector on case,oilslick is caused by case being far too tight a fit to iPad and pressure being applied to screen constantly causing oilslick and with my iPad damaging screen .

Ah I see, very worrying, seems they can't get away from oil slick problems :blush:

here are two photos of the anomally one shows the oil slick that is evident all the time without even touching the screen and the other shows how it spreads with light pressure. I managed to get hold of a replacement case and guess what, this one does exactly the same thing

Attachments

• Copy of with light pressure applied.JPG
    Copy of with light pressure applied.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 819
  • Copy of without pressure being applied.JPG
    Copy of without pressure being applied.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 281
I've been using mine since christmas and never noticed the oil slick.
I used the screen protector that came with the otter box.
It does increase the weight but I give mine a very tough life

what I am searching for is a docking station that will fit and allow an external power supply to give it the full charge rather than the pathetic PC USB. any one seen any thing?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom