• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Other Sats setting in a Panasonic P42G20B TV

barrykap

Established Member
Re the 'Other Sats' feature of the Panasonic P42G20 model.

Wondered if any of you users can answer this question before I commit to buying one;-

It refers in the user manual that I downloaded from Panny, that there are three Sats tuneable;- Astra2 Astra 1 and Hotbird. How does it select from these? Is it using Diseq 1.0? I have a 4-way Diseq switch connected with Astra 1, Astra 2, Hotbird and Sirius. I intended to connect the output to the TV and hopefully be able to tune from each satellite. Does this TV use Diseq to select sats do you know? Or does each Sat LNB have to be plugged in manually?

I see something referring to 'Any Sats'. in the tuning setup. Does this in effect pull in all four that are connected via the Disec switch?

Thanks if can help.

Barry

logiciel

As far as I can see it doesn't select between the three. It tunes to the channels from whichever one satellite group its satellite input socket is currently receiving from.

Member 498429

Standard Member
Agreed, afaik the Panasonic doesn't produce a diseqc command so in theory it is only designed to view channels from one satellite. I'll check in the morning when I get the chance.

However if this is the case I suspect an external diseqc generator would work for at least 2 satellites i.e. Astra 1 and Astra 2. I'd need to check but I would imagine that the Panasonic would default to diseqc A. I've not seen a diseqc generator for ages but again will check tomorrow for you.

Out of interest what channels are you interested in mate?

Andy

logiciel

But don't quite understand that bit;- '....currently receiving from'.
You're right to ask as I had a problem in putting it into the right words.
My point is that basically all the TV is expecting from the satellite in socket is a signal coming direct from one LNB that's pointed at one of the three satellite locations.
A multi-satellite receiver would be different - it would expect from that socket the signal from the satellite for which it had selected the DiSeqC switch setting that was required for the channel that was currently selected.
I haven't come across a TV that can select a DiSeqC switch setting, and I don't see anything in the Pana's manual to suggest that it can do it.
The reference to "other sat" seems to be more to what are commonly called "non-Freesat mode" channels on the current satellite, than to other satellites.
It seems to me that your final guess - "each Sat LNB have to be plugged in manually" - had the right idea.

Like Andy I'd be interested to know what channels you're interested in, and also whether you already have the dish and three LNBs for those 13, 19, and 28 - and maybe another as you mention four - satellite groups.

Last edited:

barrykap

Established Member
Thanks.

If what you say IS true and the TV won't send Diseqc commands then it seems a bit pointless having this 'other sats' feature as Freesat has to be the 'main' sat source, as that is the purpose of the set. So any 'other sats' channels (on 28E) would be virtually nil as they all come under the freesat group don't they? So no point in having an 'other sat' list as it would then mean unplugging the cable and plugging in a 'other sat' cable, thus then losing Freesat! :) just not an option. (physically plugging). It's just strange that they say they have the three sats (Astra1, Astra2 and HB) to select from yet it means having a dish/LNB for each one and unplugging etc. Nothing mentioned in the manual about this physical requirement.

Anyway, to answer your question, I have a Toroidal dish with four sats tuned in, Astra1 Astra2 Hotbird and Sirius, (I also have Thor too, but don't wish to receive this one on the TV). So I have four quad LNBs feeding four 4-way Diseqc switches which in turn feed my various satboxes. The channels I wanted to see are virtually anything from HB, Astra1 and Sirius as an alternative to Freesat occasionally. I just like sat scanning and generally playing about :)

I also have a 1.2M motor dish but that is another story. :)

Cheers.

Barry.

logiciel

I've looked at the manual, and there's no mention of it doing DiSeqC switching.
That's something that receivers like yours and mine do as a matter of course but TVs don't.
I see their "other sat" as meaning what Freesat receivers call "non-Freesat mode", and that DOES provide a lot more channels on 28.2/28.5 - all the free ones that don't pay to be on the Freesat EPG.
Freesat is only on that satellite group so it wouldn't apply at all for the other two groups.
My guess is that the only feature it has for the other two groups is the channel list.
That may imply that if you did the unplugging and replugging, or the alternative of having some sort of manual switch, you'd have to retune the channels each time you changed.
You already have two very extensive satellite systems with real receivers, giving you a whole lot to play with, so it won't be much of a disadvantage not to have a further one in a TV's tuner.

Last edited:

barrykap

Established Member
I think it is what you say.

I wasn't all that bothered. Just needed the TV anyway and seeing that bit about 'other sats' with HB and Astra mentioned, just made me think it could be another 'toy' that I could play with in addition to all the super features the TV already has.

It won't deter me from buying it. In fact I may play about with a sort of 'semi-motor' dish, where I use an old positioner box with another old H-H dish motor I have and try get it to work with the TV. Abeit probably have to retune each time it 'turns' and also only limited to the 3 sats that the TV has a database for.

It's always nice to be able to utilise anything absolutely to it's full. A lot of people hardly use half of the facilities on offer with most TV's,

Cheers.

Barry.

ps, I will order the TV tomorrow.

logiciel

It's pretty well specified for sure, and often gets mentioned on the forum.
The price, even for a plasma, is currently good, but features are catching up on it rapidly.
Viera Cast seems limited, and I think you'll find more recent models offer even more to play with.
As you say, many users don't use everything they have, but it's nice to have even more. :thumbsup:

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member

It won't deter me from buying it. In fact I may play about with a sort of 'semi-motor' dish, where I use an old positioner box with another old H-H dish motor I have and try get it to work with the TV. Abeit probably have to retune each time it 'turns' and also only limited to the 3 sats that the TV has a database for.

I'd be interested to know how you go on with that -

we've installed the odd one with A/B switches etc.. if I remember you should be able to get 13e 19e & Freesat all scanned & stored and not need to keep re-scanning but if you scan one in the wrong way it deletes the others ... I don't know if you can go on other satellites with one if looped from a motor .. that would be interesting.. The HD PQ's good.

barrykap

Established Member
I suppose the ideal would be able to add new Sat TP info. But not expecting to be able to do that! :)

But if some TP's on other sats happen to coincide with the ones on HB, Astra etc, maybe can pull in a few extra channels from other sats. But probably not worth the effort.

Anyway, it will take a while to try out all the 'working' functions before I experiment. But at least it could be something that can be 'played with' in these dark cold nights. :)

Barry

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom