Other child undermining healthy packed lunch?

Discussion in 'Parents Forum' started by PerfectBlue97, Aug 21, 2016.

1. PerfectBlue97

PerfectBlue97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    What do you do in this situation:

You do your best to send your under 10 to school with a healthy packed lunch everyday, but there is another child in the same class whose parents send them to school with multiple chocolate bars, cakes, and cans of soft drinks purposefully so that they can give them out to other children.

The teachers say that that they can't prevent the child from bringing the extra food in, and can't stop them from giving it out. All that they can do is to confiscate it after it's been given out. Which they aren't able to do very effectively as they can't supervise all of the children all of the time and children are remarkably good at hiding behind bushes and scoffing chocolate bars in a matter of seconds.

You try to talk to the parents of the other child, and they look at you like you're the wicked stepmother in a Disney movie, and tell you that giving children treats makes them the good guys and you the villain.

Is there anything that you can do beyond trying to explain to your child about the difference between healthy and unhealthy food?

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,371
    Nothing much you can do apart from as you say explain the difference between foods. One chocolate bar is not going to make a big difference to the health of your child especially if they are eating healthily for the rest of the time so I would not worry too much.
    You have to question the motivation of the other child's parents. Do they feel they need to do this for their child to make friends (kind of bribery) or is it something else? Speaks more to their insecurities than anything else.

3. PerfectBlue97

PerfectBlue97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    The problem comes when it's 2 or more large bars a day, and a can of drink. 21 spoons of sugar.

Significantly more than an under 10 should be allowed. As an adult I wouldn't consume that much.

It's very much a bribery issue.

I give you the treats that your parents restrict, in exchange for face time on the playground.

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,371
    That was more than I was suspecting. How big is this kids bag!!!!
    How about trying a different angle, so instead of saying about good and bad food maybe question the motives for giving etc. So ask your kid if they would be friends with this kid if they did not give out sweets. Then ask questions on if they think he is a nice person etc. If they say yes then could go on to say about not taking advantage of friends by taking sweets to hang out with them. If they say no then question them on there motives and how they look by just being with them for the things they give them.

5. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Tell the dad you'll kick his head in if he carries on doing it. It'll stop then.

6. AdrianMills

AdrianMills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    It's hard to believe the mindset of some parents when they will do things like this against your wishes.

Try to talk to them and if all else fails, lie*. Tell them your kid is borderline diabetic and they could be responsible for killing them.

*Not a fan of lying about anything myself but if that's the only course of action open to you, then better that than threats of violence.

7. PerfectBlue97

PerfectBlue97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Aside form that being classified as assault and\or threatening behaviour, it wouldn't really help when you are dealing with somebody who would consider that as being evidence that they were doing the right thing.

It's difficult to deal with people who have a "If they are trying to shut me down, then I must be on the right track" mindset.

8. PerfectBlue97

PerfectBlue97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    There was a news story recently where it praised a child as being a "businessman of the future" for buying multi-packs of sweets and then selling them to other children for a profit on school grounds.

I really think that this is sending a bad message.

9. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,371
    Although I remember schools having tuck shops that sold sweets etc when I was a kid and we were ok. So I do wonder if we are demonizing the wrong thing sometimes.

10. AdrianMills

AdrianMills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    You understand that there has been a huge increase in childhood and adult obesity, right?

11. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,371
    I understand that but is it really because they sell/sold sweets in school?
    I do not think it is since many generations have not had an issue so something else has changed, that is what needs to be tackled and not demonizing one particular food group etc. As a culture we have become obsessed with this which I do not see as healthy either. Also very convenient and easy to blame sugar/sweets etc. instead of asking the harder questions about ourselves and motivations etc.

12. AdrianMills

AdrianMills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    Actually, the normalizing of sweet snacks and putting sugar in just about everything has had a significant role in increasing levels of obesity.

13. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,564
    That's how Alan Sugar started out wasn't it?

14. nvingo

nvingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Convenience foods.
    In other words, anything that needs to be converted from "fresh" to "stored" so that it is available when required, and partially or wholly prepared to reduce the waiting time at the table.
    Mostly these have sugar, salt and other chemicals added as preservative.
    This means that much of the population consumes an increased quantity of these compared with previous generations. Thus there is less margin for treats, often also containing these substances, so it becomes difficult not to "overdose" on them.

My personal pet hate is gelatine. A waste product of the meat industry it is added to sweets and deserts, making them not vegetarian. OK I'm not a fan of sticky chewy sugary gummy sweets, but it infuriates me that mousse, many yoghurts (usually the low-fat varieties), ice-cream and other deserts have animal-derived ingredients in (gelatine or if not red colouring) that would otherwise be a pleasure to consume.

15. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,564
    There isn't really anything wrong with gelatine, it's a relatively healthy source of protein. Unless you are vegetarian in which case I can sympathise completely.

16. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    Its infuriating, our lads school promotes the whole healthy lunches, no junk food allowed etc - its on all the literature and posters for prospective parents.

Then they don't enforce it in the slightest.

Ours lads feel its not fair that they have a healthy packed lunch while there mates gorge on all sorts of junk. It makes it far harder for the parents if the school does nothing to enforce the policy the supposedly promote.

17. AdrianMills

AdrianMills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    How's the PTA at your place? Can't you get them to push for a less tolerant stance?

18. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    Our eldest has now left and our youngest only had a year left. They are old enough to understand the benefits of why they get a healthy lunch and deal with the issue well.

I've pretty much given up on the school. They let us down badly with our eldests autism assessment, we had practically no support and has to find help entirely ourselves.

The headmistress tries to please everyone, generally never tackling the difficult issues. A good example is every school show, play, presentation etc. She asks all parents to stay seated and not record, whilst making sure a recording is available for anyone who wants it, then says nothing as the usual village idiots block everyone else as they stand up recording it on their phones.

It's a real small town mentality, the school has plenty of good points but many bad ones too. Unfortunately her husband runs the secondary school.