OTG cable + USB hub + 2 drives/card reader - possible ?

Discussion in 'Tablets Forum' started by Ugg10, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,569
    I've had a search for this in the forums but could not find any answers ....

.......So as the title suggests I would like to connect two USB drives (or 1 HD drive and a SD card reader) to my Sony Tablet Z running Android 4.3 and then be able to transfer files from one drive/reader to the other.

Below is my kit which has all of the elements I think I need but it does not work -

Sony Tablet Z
    An old 100Gb 2.5" sata laptop hard drive formatted to FAT32
    SD card for use in the camera
    32Gb micro SD card - Samsung 32GB Class 10 Grade 1 48MB/s Micro SDHC Plus Memory Card with MicroSD Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
    OTG cable with power port for drive - 20 cm Micro USB OTG Y-Cable + extra power supply: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
    SD card reader - Genuine Integral Card Reader SDHC SDXC: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
    USB2 drive caddy - DIGIFLEX 2.5 Sata to USB Hard Drive Caddy HDD Enclosure Case Laptop and PC parts: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
    USB 4 port hub (passive I think)

Software

Android 4.3
    ES File Manager for android - ES File Explorer File Manager - Android Apps on Google Play

At the moment if I connect the drive/SD reader individually they both show up in the settings/storage and ES file manager and the transfer app kicks in OK. So, my fall back is to transfer from the SD reader to the internal sd card and then back out to the HD.

If I plug in the USB hub and plug the SD reader and the HD into it only the first plugged in item shows up.

Can anyone let me know whether what I am trying to do is possible (i.e. mount two devices off the USB port via an OTG cable + USB hub) and if so what I need to do to get it to work (another type of hub ?). I would like to leave my system un-jailbroken if at all possible.

many thanks in advance.

2. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,468
    What is the power rating on the old HDD you intend to use? If it's higher than USB can cope with, you're going to struggle with that disk, let alone trying to power a USB drive as well. It might be possible with lower-powered items...

3. reyaskcin

reyaskcin
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think it will only work from external device to tablet, but one option could be to transfer from one device to tablet then from tablet to other device

4. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,569
    Thanks guys, the cable I have has a power port to the USB device so power is not a problem, I have tried it with a thumb drive and the SD card reader and the same - only picks up one of the drives on the hub. Yes card reader > tablet SD card > HD is my fall back position.

5. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,468
    You might need a specific OTG cable with multiple connectors ... an OTG hub!

USB OTG Hub | eBay

6. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,569
    Thanks will look into that.