OTA (Over the air software update causing TV to become unusable!

pauls898

For those of you who have a Panasonic Flat-panel TV (Model TX-L32E3B and TX-L24E3B) beware as there is some rouge OTA (Over the air software) which is corrupting and crashing some older Panasonic TV sets! Symptoms are it will turn on as per normal and after a few seconds the Remote green LED will blink several times and it will turn itself off! although the Power light will stay on. The quick-fix is when powering on is to hold in the power switch in until you get a picture, then Panasonic recommends doing a complete factory restore and re-tune in all your channels and to then switch off the over-the-air update option and new channels messages. However, I have since found that this doesn't work!! I had my TV work fine for about a week and then the problem has come back, speaking with my local TV repair shop they seem to think something has changed with the OTA software and it's got worse! So my only option now is to NOT the use or even connect the TV's antenna cable hopefully that way this software update can't find it's way into my TV so now I'm essentially just using my TV as a display monitor! Thank You, Panasonic and NO I'm not buying a f**king new tele!!

To stop this dreaded over the air software update from screwing with my TV I’ve now terminated its antenna input with a 75-ohm load and so will continue to watch my TV via the HDMI input and an external digital box thank you very much Panasonic!!!

If anyone else has had these symptoms and knows of a fix please message below?

Thanks

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
There are no OTA updates. There hasn’t been for some years now. Updates are usually handled via USB or via the Internet. What I suspect might be happening is that there is some bad data somewhere which the TV’s firmware can’t handle, causing it to crash, a bit like an old problem, which I experienced, whereby my Panasonic PVR wouldn’t record certain channels due a change in the data stream. Have you talked to Freeview about this? What’s your TX? The fact that you disable OTA updates and the problem still occurs would suggest that the problem lies elsewhere. Simply disconnecting the aerial cable should prove the point. Autotune with the aerial removed to wipe all tuning data currently stored. This sounds like a firmware bug to me.

silver38

Standard Member
There are no OTA updates. There hasn’t been for some years now. Updates are usually handled via USB or via the Internet. What I suspect might be happening is that there is some bad data somewhere which the TV’s firmware can’t handle, causing it to crash, a bit like an old problem, which I experienced, whereby my Panasonic PVR wouldn’t record certain channels due a change in the data stream. Have you talked to Freeview about this? What’s your TX? The fact that you disable OTA updates and the problem still occurs would suggest that the problem lies elsewhere. Simply disconnecting the aerial cable should prove the point. Autotune with the aerial removed to wipe all tuning data currently stored. This sounds like a firmware bug to me.
I have a 50vt50 that had been runing software version 1.630 since 2014 and over the last few days has become unstable, when changing channel or looking at the settings the screen will go blank with no response from the remote. The only solution is switch off and on again, it works again for a while. I have just checked the software version on the tv and it now shows version 1.632, according to Panasonic Japn web site it was updated sometime from June 23rd 2020. Anyone know how i can get back to 1.630?
Thanks

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
You can’t regress firmware. Try a factory reset, that sometimes helps. This all seems very odd. Your kit must be updating over the Internet.

silver38

Standard Member
You can’t regress firmware. Try a factory reset, that sometimes helps. This all seems very odd. Your kit must be updating over the Internet.
Yes it is connected to the internet. The Panasonic website says this update improves network applications, i can't find any differences.

pauls898

Panasonic recommends a factory reset but it only seems to fix this issue for about a week. See link below

However this morning even with the antenna disconnected, every time I powered on the set, it locked out your remote commands and by the time you had got control of the set the green LED light would flash and it would shut down! Luckily by holding down the TV button on the remote and holding the power button in, I managed to get it into Analog mode, and while in there displaying B&W noise I managed to bring up the menu option and do a factory reset on it! Now I have it back up and working once more, I have attached a 75-ohm terminator to the antenna input and running it from a PVR Box a Panasonic DMR-HWT150 box, lets see if I get a problem when turning it on again tomorrow? I will report back?

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Well, that’s good and bad. Good in that Panasonic is aware of the issue, but bad in that in that a much needed firmware update for hardware so old is unlikely to appear. My 2014 Panasonic FreeviewHD PVR is soldiering on, but I know that it could well die at any moment for want of new firmware to fix some known issues. I suspect that there’s a lot of kit out there, all sorts of makes, that will end up in landfill for want of some new software. I’ve junked several pieces of kit lately that still works after a fashion but would work well again if only the firmware was updated. Of course, it’s not good business to hold onto old kit from a manufacturer’s perspective, but nowadays, we really shouldn’t be putting perfectly good kit into landfill.

pauls898

Well exactly my thoughts, just as pointing a finger in the air, I thought I'd check the Panasonic website for any later Firmware? and to my amazement there was!! dated back in 2018, but this version wasn't listed about a month back when I last checked? very odd, but sure enough there was a newer version, so I downloaded and installed it, so watch this space? says Stability improvements?
119005562_10164256543115720_5289726660848074740_n.jpg

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
That comment ‘pal11 ...’ looks suspicious to me. I’ve never seen that sort of text on a Panasonic firmware update. Are you downloading from an official site?

pauls898

That's exactly where I got it from, searched under the sets model number, yes I've seen that names pop up on several Panasonic's I've updated in the past, names seem a bit strange but it works!

stumac

Standard Member
Hi @PaulSC, @Clem_Dye,
Just to say I have a Panasonic TX-L24E3B with exactly the same problem as described here - It started happening a few years back and I used to manage it using the recommended (Panasonic) reset process, which would initially resolve it, though as you've noted this was never permanent and over time the period between me resetting and it auto switching OFF / unable to switch ON again going from several days, to only a few seconds..... For the last couple of years this worsening issue has rendered it practically unusable.

In lockdown and with Christmas approaching I was on the verge of giving up and replacing it, but in a last ditch attempt to fix I came across your discussion. Following your advice and links I managed to download the latest software and successfully apply this - it was at 1.009 and it's now at 1.020 (note the tv's self-scan function erroneously told me 1.009 was up to date!). I also did a factory reset afterwards.

Touch wood, it seems to be working ok thus far. I will post back here in a few weeks to let you know whether or not its remained stable. Thanks so much for the info - it was really helpful and without it id have chucked the damn thing in the skip (if it doesn't stay stable I will likely still do that!).
Cheers, Stuart.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom