• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

OSX HTPC Now Completed

M4v3r1ck

Hiya, i have created a home cinema pc running osx. I know its not the best video but let me know what you think of the machine.

Spec is as follows

Operating System, OSX Leopard 10.5.5 unmodified.
2.83 Quad Core CPU
OCZ 128GB SSD (more to come, 10 Bays to fill)
8GB Ram
EFI-X
Geforce 8800 Fanless
Blu Ray Drive, (not yet supported in osx but will be soon)
Boxee Media Center
Lynx L22 Sound Card
Touch Screen Case
Apple Remote
Logitec Dinovo Mini
Wireless apple keyboard/Mouse
Silenx Luxrae Fanless PSU

Whole thing operates in silence

MobileMe Gallery
MobileMe Gallery ... &view=grid
YouTube - First OSX Leopard EFIX HTPC with Touch screen

Last edited:

RecordablDVDfan

I am very impressed, something I'd love to have a go at but how much was this to build ? What is a efix btw ? I don't understand how you installed a non hacked version of Leopard on a intel pc / mb also ! Please can you elaborate ?!

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
I am very impressed, something I'd love to have a go at but how much was this to build ? What is a efix btw ? I don't understand how you installed a non hacked version of Leopard on a intel pc / mb also ! Please can you elaborate ?!

The EFix is a USB dongle (that can connect to an internal USB header on certain PC motherboards) that allows a standard Leopard installation disk bought in an Apple store, to be installed on a PC set-up.

Only a limited number of motherboards are supported (presumably for driver reasons?) and I believe the EFix does something EFI-ish to allow this to happen?

Whether this is legal is questionable - as Apple's EULA precludes running OSX on non-Apple hardware. Whether their EULA is enforceable is another question...

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
I'm a real Mac fan - my Macbook is the best laptop I've owned by far.

However - do Macs make good HTPCs under OSX? I've not seen much on hardware acceleration for H264 broadcast HDTV, nor have I seen much on Blu-ray playback on them...

For music and SD video they are great - but for Blu-ray, HD-DVD and HDTV I've yet to be convinced. Elgato's EyeTV 3 software is fine for occasional use - but it doesn't strike me as a Vista Media Center replacement.

(I do love my Apple Bluetooth keyboard and mouse on my Vista HTPC though!)

RecordablDVDfan

Yeah saw that video after I posted and see you can buy the dongle from Switzerland etc. So you need a gigabyte mb for a start...how much is this dongle ?

RecordablDVDfan

I'm a real Mac fan - my Macbook is the best laptop I've owned by far.

However - do Macs make good HTPCs under OSX? I've not seen much on hardware acceleration for H264 broadcast HDTV, nor have I seen much on Blu-ray playback on them...

For music and SD video they are great - but for Blu-ray, HD-DVD and HDTV I've yet to be convinced. Elgato's EyeTV 3 software is fine for occasional use - but it doesn't strike me as a Vista Media Center replacement.

(I do love my Apple Bluetooth keyboard and mouse on my Vista HTPC though!)

Pretty close, even my 2.0ghz mac mini plays ITV HD and BBC HD fine with eyetv 3.03. Yes apple kb and mouse work ok with vista

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom