Question OSN Humax HDR 1002S hard disk

TheAviator

Novice Member
hello all

i have an OSN STB made by Humax with the model number 1002S, walked into the house one day to hear a noise coming from the box that sounded like the hard drive was trying to spin, powered it off and back on to find that it can't see the hard drive and it won't record or download anything.

i bought a replacement drive Seagate ST1000XM002 1 TB (it had the Seagate pipeline 1TB), plugged the drive in and the box can't see it, and still gives me the same message as the failed drive (unable to record)

tried formatting it on my MAC to MS-DOS fat 32 and still the same!

any ideas to help on how to get the box to recognize the drive so i can go back to normal !!

thanks

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
At a guess the disk controller is shot.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Last edited by a moderator:

TheAviator

Novice Member
can it be that the drive needs to be formatted in a different format, the fact that the old drive was making mechanical noise might mean it was actually a hard disk issue, don't you think ?

There will be a chip on the motherboard that services the disk drive sata data port.

What is SATA controller? - Definition from WhatIs.com

If it's failed then the box can't see the hard disk. A new motherboard (which is unlikely to be economic) normally be required as the controller will not be separately replaceable.

can it be that the drive needs to be formatted in a different format, the fact that the old drive was making mechanical noise might mean it was actually a hard disk issue, don't you think ?

Last edited by a moderator:

REPASSAC

Normally the drive is inserted unformatted with no partitions and the unit formats it - normally to several EXT3 partitions. Depending on the age of your unit the drive it may need to have the speed reduced from SATA 6Gb/s (to perhaps 3 GB/s or 1.5GB/s) - You should be able to find how on Seagate's site.

If it is the SATA controller that has failed then try examining the old disk in a PC as an additional dive. You need to use the Disk Management tool which if it sees the partitions then it does point to the motherboard controller.

TheAviator

Novice Member
when i plug the old disk into my laptop via usb it shows it as one single drive of 4.1 TB while on the drive it self it says its a 1 TB drive

REPASSAC

Can you post the details from the Disk Management tool.
Including filing system, type, status.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom