1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OSD on component out

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dejongj, Apr 17, 2003.

1. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is upgrade time :D Our custom living room furniture is being built including an adjustable AV cabinet with closed doors (and no ugly glass) so it is child friendly to our inquisitive little girl.

But hah the closed doors are causing the challenge but also provide me the ability to get a decent upgrade through as my current six year old Kenwoon DD/DTS receiver does not have an on-screen display.

I have been looking at some of the AMPS with my short list including the Pioneer 2011, Denon 3803 and NAD T762. It became clear very quickly that the Denon 3803 is the only real live possibility for me as I think it is the only one which does the OSD on component outs! Is this really true or does anyone have a suggestion for other AV amps that can do that? My budget will go upto £2000.

Regards,

Jean-Paul

2. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BUMP

Am I the only one who wants OSD on component out?

3. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I would like it as well but I can confirm that the 2011 does not support it! But then again you don't use it that often, I just have a S-Video cable running from the amp to the plasma for the OSD, don't use the S-video connector for anything else. If you use it a cheap s-video switch box might be the answer, gives you more freedom to select your amp then!

4. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the post.

I think I will have to use the OSD quite often:

1. See which source I have connected when switching over
    2. But more importantly look at the volume level
    3. To use manual override for the sound processing; i.e. stereo on the Music channels and Pro-Logic on normal television.

As I can't see the display of the AMP as it is hidden away, this is a very important feature to me.

I hear what you say about flexibility of choosing an AMP which is a very good point. However keeping the equipment safe from those inquisitive little fingers from my daughter is even more important for her safety.

Cheers,

Jean-Paul