1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OSD - how do I get it?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Ian Carter, May 18, 2004.

1. Ian Carter

Ian Carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Being a bit thick here. Just got A Denon 1804 and reading the manual it says that setup can be carried out on the TV screen - trouble is it doesn't say - or I can't see where it says - how to connect the Amp & TV together.

Thanks

2. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    On the back of your amp' there should be a single phono socket marked 'monitor' or something like that. If you connect this to a composite input ie a single phono point on your tv or vcr then you should get the OSD on your tv.

3. Ian Carter

Ian Carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Rollo - Does it have to be a special cable - or would any old lead do. What I'm getting at is would an old phono lead do or does it have to be a video cable. I'm guessing the qulity won't matter if its just for setup purposes. I see the amp & tv have S-video connectors - these would be over the top for this use, yes?

4. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I think any old phono lead will do for setup. To be honest though, it's just as easy to setup using the display on the front of the 1804. The OSD doesn't give you any additional information, it's just thats it's bigger and you can see several setup parameters on the screen at the same time.

Balders.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Most TV's seem to have a set of phono inputs on the front for the connection of a camcorder and a single phono cable from the monitor out connector on the amp to the video in phono on the front of the TV will do.

Another method is to use a cable with a yellow video phono plug on one end and a scart plug on the other.

You need to read your manual to see whether the OSD signal is available via the s-video out socket and if it is that socket could also be used.

6. Ian Carter

Ian Carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks chaps -just didn't want to blow anything up by putting the wrong sort of cable in the hole.