1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oscars

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by rosemanbridge, Feb 21, 2005.

1. rosemanbridge

rosemanbridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I know this isn't strictly a DVD question ( although Aviator has a street day in May) but does anyone know if the normal terrestrial channels will be screening the Oscars this year? I can't find it in any listings :confused:

2. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    I don't think they are. Sky movies 1 will be transmitting it live with a 90 minute highlight show on Sky 1 the evening after (28th Feb.).

3. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,553
    so to see the oscars this year you have to subscribe to sky movies,what a con and dissapointment

4. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    aren't the beeb showing it on sunday night/monday morning? I'll answer my own question - no their not.

god dam that annoying - i was going to have the day off and stay up and watch it live - CHRIS ROCK!! oh well. :(

Gary

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

I can officially confirm that this year's Oscar ceremony is NOT being shown at all on any of the terrestrial TV channels. :(

As others have already stated, it'll be live on Sky Movies 1 only, meaning not only do you have to subscribe to Sky Digital, but pay even more money to access the Sky Movie Channels themselves! This could well be one of the most crazy and unforgiving cons that Sky have pulled! :mad:

I've enjoyed staying up, into the early-hours of Monday morning, over the last few years, to watch the ceremony live on BBC2/BBC1. It's a shame that this year, we won't be able to enjoy Jonathon Ross' sartorial attacks on the highs and lows of the ceremony this year!

I can only presume, that the BBC weren't willing to pay as much as Sky, for live coverage, which is a real shame! :( The BBC aren't even doing any highlights coverage either! :( :thumbsdow

Pooch

6. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,349
    Your right this isn't a DVD question. :)

Moving to Movies/TV forum where you should get some more answers.

Edit: I can see you have already had the answer you need :clap:

By the sounds of it, aren't the Oscars going to be a farse this year anyway, what with the new 'gameshow' style ceremony?

7. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,553
    would of been good to see the new style,ive watched it live for about 14 years now and this will be the first i miss,no way am i getting sky movies just to watch the oscars

8. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

Just gonna have to bite the bullet.

John

9. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Why worry? As usual "the best" in any category won't win, indeed the best is seldom nominated.

The Academy should look back at who it did and (more particularly) didn't give the statue to and hang its head in shame.

At the end of the day what are we missing, four hours of spoiled celebrities collecting gongs and gushing inanities and overdoing the (often phony) emotion? Scintillating entertainment to be sure! :boring:

Time better spent watching a movie (or two) instead and then read the results in the paper - if you're that interested...

10. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,179
    How true.
    Shakespear in Love over Saving Private Ryan for one :rolleyes:

Any thoughts on some of this years top nominations?

Picture:
    "The Aviator," "Finding Neverland," "Million Dollar Baby," "Ray," "Sideways"

Actor:
    Don Cheadle in "Hotel Rwanda," Johnny Depp in "Finding Neverland," Leonardo DiCaprio in "The Aviator," Clint Eastwood in "Million Dollar Baby," Jamie Foxx in "Ray"

Actress:
    Annette Bening in "Being Julia," Catalina Sandino Moreno in "Maria Full of Grace," Imelda Staunton in "Vera Drake," Hilary S**** in "Million Dollar Baby," Kate Winslet in "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"

Supporting Actor:
    Alan Alda in "The Aviator," Thomas Haden Church in "Sideways," Jamie Foxx in "Collateral," Morgan Freeman in "Million Dollar Baby," Clive Owen in "Closer"

Supporting Actress:
    Cate Blanchett in "The Aviator," Laura Linney in "Kinsey," Virginia Madsen in "Sideways," Sophie Okonedo in "Hotel Rwanda," Natalie Portman in "Closer"

Director:
    Clint Eastwood for "Million Dollar Baby," Taylor Hackford for "Ray," Mike Leigh for "Vera Drake," Alexander Payne for "Sideways," Martin Scorsese for "The Aviator"

:eek: Actress should read Hilary Sw@nk but the swear filter has err filtered it :rolleyes:

11. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    PMFSL!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

12. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personly really enjoy the oscars every year and always stay up and watch it and will again this year (i have to say the first hour of last years show (especially that superb film intro) was some of the best TV i have seen, Billy crystal was fantastic,

13. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    HI,

I have to disagree with Pauley, who said:

Firstly, what you or I define as "best" is always a subjective thing. Some people think "The Godfather" or "Gone With The Wind" are two of the best films ever made. Others will disagree. As such, just because your "favourite" isn't up for an award, or doesn't get chosen, doesn't mean that the Oscars ceremony is worthless. As for "gushing inanities", well, again, that's your opinion. But bearing in mind, that the Oscars is the only major Film Awards Ceremony that actually carries any weight within the world of film, unlike the BAFTA's. If you win a BAFTA, well that's nice and good, but it doesn't really mean a great deal. Win an OSCAR however, and that really means something!

There are plenty of occasions when I've disagreed about a film or actor winning or not winning a certain award, but more often than not, I can see why they've won it, even if I don't like it.

I expect that "The Aviator" will win plenty of awards, and maybe even Scorsese, might finally get a "Best Director" Oscar. However, I don't think this is Scorsese's best film by a mile, so if he does win, it won't mean so much for me, compared to if he had won for "Raging Bull" or "Goodfellas", for examples.

This is just my opinion, mind, as it is yours. But you can't simply slate the whole Oscar's ceremony, just because you disagree with what is/isn't classified as the "best".

Pooch

14. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Skinny woman in posh frock mounts stage (probably Halle Berry or whoever) followed by Red Indian ...oops... Native American who proceeds to sign speech for deaf viewers.

"Oh God, oh God, oh I can't believe it! Oh wow! Oh God! (remembers to weep) I'd like to thank my producer (clutches Oscar to breast), my agent... (drones on talking s***e for ten minutes) ...my mother - hi mom I love you - (audience shot of Melanie Griffiths and Don Johnson making "Aw!" faces) (drones on again - more s***e) ...the people of Tibet, my director (drones on yet again, great big container lorries full of s***e)...Ngun Chau Fong my spiritual light, my wonderful husband Tom, (stops to sign "I love you Megan!" to deaf child at home) Spike my gynacologist, but above all (pauses to look suitably humble) I'd like to thank God without whom all of this would not have been possible!

(Audience is prodded awake with sticks by ushers and rises to it's feet. Catherine Zeta Jones rubs onion under her eyes as she spots camera moving in for close up. Weeping winner is led off stage by Mickey Rooney on a life support system while Billy Crystal wakes squaw who has lapsed into near-comatose state, and cut to Jonathan Ross and guests in BBC Porta- Studio struggling to keep straight faces...)

Or we could always just have Gwyneth Paltrow's speech?

Or the one where Adrien Brody compared making a movie to being in a real life war situation (especially sensitive given the year he made the remark).

Not forgetting of course the classic - "You like me! You really like me!" (inserts fingers down throat)

Then we have the speeches from the techy winners and the like that are usually lists of names read off the back of a hanky that are just dull beyond belief.

So make that inane and dull beyond belief then...

Tell you what we haven't had in a while though - some embarassing schmoe (possibly Jeff Bridges) presenting an award, who thinks he's being "rebellious" by wearing white trainers with his tux.... :boring:

Oh, and all of the above lasts for four hours, and now requires a Sky Movies subscription too! Who could resist? :)

15. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The oscars is no different to a movie, you either like it or dont,

I would not subscribe to sky movies just to watch the oscars but the fact i have it anyway i would defo not miss it,

Anyone each to there own i say but i will be tuneing in :)

16. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    What's this all about Greg? Any details? Sounds like a perfect blending of form and content to me! :devil:

"Gwyneth Paltrow, come on dooooowwwwwwwwwwn!!!"