Oscar Nominations

Ian J

Ex Member
Reaction score
The Oscar nominations are being announced as I type and I was watching a news item on BBC lunchtime news when they discussed the likely nominations.

The nominations seems to be an important event to us Brits and the ceremony even more so with people staying up until the early hours to watch it.

Why are we all so interested when 99% of us won't have heard any of the films being nominated let alone seen them with many of the favourites for nomination not even having been released here yet.

Until recently you had to wait five or six years for a film to be seen on the TV yet there was still huge interest in who was nominated and who won.

The BBC Entertainment fellow that was discssing the nominations had seen the films that haven't been released here yet. do you think he's been watching them on illegal downloads or buying the DVDs from the lucky lucky men on Costa Del Sol :D

I assume being in the industry he'd have access to DVD Screeners?

There have been critics before caught selling screeners, but i'm sure they still give them out quite happily?

if he's a presenter he will probably be reading a script prepared by someone else that just made their mind up after reading other reviews online. or he could be like many others on the forums and discussing things they know bugger all about as if they are an expert on the subject

I dont really do oscars and i dont see what all the fuss is about but i have watched some marvelous films of late
Slumdog millionaire,Gran torino,7 pounds have all been watched over the last few nights all really really good films. I have changed with the times and changed from a movie buff to a game buff but these 3 films were superb and a must watch even if you have to go to the costas to see the lucky lucky man;):D

Last edited:
not really my bag

not suprised that dark knight only got a few scraps, they have no idea :)

None of the 'good' ones for The Dark Knight... interesting!
The Dark Knight wasn't perfect, as enjoyable as it was

It very nearly was Heath Ledger (R.I.P. :() who truly gave an astonishing performance

The Dark Knight wasn't perfect, as enjoyable as it was

It very nearly was Heath Ledger (R.I.P. :() who truly gave an astonishing performance

Given it was a good performance, but would it be as acclaimed if he were still alive today.

No disrespect intended but I don't think he'd have had as much talk about his performance otherwise.

I trust you have seen the film? Funny, dark, evil, an utter recklessness and disregard which he delivered with aplomb

Have you seen how to make a pencil disappear?

I've seen the film yeah, but I just feel that his performance would not have been received in the way it has if he was still alive.

We'll never know I guess, but I do believe that it has had an impact on a lot of reviews of his performance.

Don't get me wrong he was one of the highlights of the film.

Given it was a good performance, but would it be as acclaimed if he were still alive today.
His personal performace was amazing, I thought. But then comic based films are my favorite genre so would say that.

But I don't think the film would have done as well if he was still alive.

His personal performace was amazing, I thought. But then comic based films are my favorite genre so would say that.

But I don't think the film would have done as well if he was still alive.

I'm not saying his performance wasn't anything but exceptional, but there have been actors in films over recent years who have given amazing performances which have not been as well acclaimed.

And personally I believe if he was still alive a lot of people would still overlook his performance like many others.

Eminem was nominated for an Oscar....need I say more about how ridiculous those awards shows have become?

if he's a presenter he will probably be reading a script prepared by someone else that just made their mind up after reading other reviews online. or he could be like many others on the forums and discussing things they know bugger all about as if they are an expert on the subject

nice :)

Regarding Heath Ledger, I thought his tragic and untimely death may have increased the admiration he got for his part as the Joker.

However, after seeing the film on Sunday it's every bit deserved, he acted most of the cast off the screen and with names like Morgan Freeman and Michael Cane in there that's no mean feat. It really is the best bit of acting I've seen in a long time.

Eminem was nominated for an Oscar....need I say more about how ridiculous those awards shows have become?
You realise it was for best original song, which he won? Not his acting :rolleyes: And OK his music might not be to everyone's taste but that's besides the point is it not

I watched In Bruges last week (got it for Christmas) It's one of the best films I've seen in a long time. Very funny but with a serious story. Definately worth a watch.

Regarding Heath Ledger, I thought his tragic and untimely death may have increased the admiration he got for his part as the Joker.

However, after seeing the film on Sunday it's every bit deserved, he acted most of the cast off the screen and with names like Morgan Freeman and Michael Cane in there that's no mean feat. It really is the best bit of acting I've seen in a long time.
I entirely agree with that sentiment. He really did make the film something extra special imo.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom