OS X El Capitan

download is taking too long! and at 6gb it's never going to complete on any/all 3 of my machines tonight
i've been a day one upgrader since leopard to snow leopard but actually i'm not that fussed about this upgrade. i'm sure it'll have some nice touches and tweaks but they're probably relatively insignificant for a user like me

Yeah I realise there's a lot of people after the updates but damn it is slow! You'd think with all their billions they could get some more bandwidth for big releases..... Or use a p2p system perhaps.

Been going for hours and 3.98GB of 6.08GB downloaded.

all done on 2 comps.
about 5 hours after launch it was pretty quick to download
only difference i've seen now is mission control layout which is way overdue!!

I'm grudgingly holding off for the minute. Working from home today and can't afford any downtime. Might end up having to wait for the weekend.

I've upgraded my laptop - all went smoothly and it is up and running again. There are a few changes I've spotted, but in the main part it looks pretty much the same as Yosemite.

Upgrading my Mac Pro is a whole different kettle of fish entirely, so I'm holding off on that for a bit.

Installed this morning, only thing not working properly is Photoshop... no filter previews.

Upgrade went smoothly on my iMac apart from Mail is checking for mail and is currently on 2,452,816 and still counting!

Mine eventually finished after I rebooted and got a faster download speed from the Appstore. Did the upgrade and seems ok so far. Wiggle the mouse to make it big I might find handy from time to time as have had instances where the mouse cursor disappears completely from within a program and I've had to use the three finger swipes to go to the desktop or another program to get it back.

Updated my rMBP to find all my mailboxes had disappeared from Mail.

The accounts were all there, but not mailboxes were being displayed.

Quick Google search found this bug had appeared in previous versions, including Yosemite and El Capitan betas and GM, so disappointed not fixed by Apple.

Anyway, the fix I found that worked was to disable then re enable each mail account which did bring them back.

My macs up the frizz, so wont be installing today, or maybe even for ages, depends on what the apple peeps say on saturday..

I must be a right nerd, im gutted ive missed this,...

I had to do a restore to Yosemite.

Photoshop wouldn't work properly, even after a reinstall. No doubt this is due to the new "metal" graphics thingumajig.
"El Capitan" also messed up all the permissions for my external backup HDDs - I couldn't write to them any more.
Tried unlocking the drives with BatChmod, no joy.

I do as I go so I am assuming they are on the Virgin server!
Ahhh!! Are you using pop rather than imap settings? pop if not configured correctly will just leave your email on the server and now Mac mail is doing a refresh and de-queuing the lot to download again. Best thing to do is log on the Virgin webmail page and tidy up the emails. Then delete your account in Mac Mail and set back up with imap which will syncronise changes across to virgins servers and other devices you setup (smartphones, tablets etc)

Ahhh!! Are you using pop rather than imap settings? pop if not configured correctly will just leave your email on the server and now Mac mail is doing a refresh and de-queuing the lot to download again. Best thing to do is log on the Virgin webmail page and tidy up the emails. Then delete your account in Mac Mail and set back up with imap which will syncronise changes across to virgins servers and other devices you setup (smartphones, tablets etc)
I have always been using imap, I will try your suggestion though.

I'm having the mail issue too, no emails popping through onto my Mac but they are going through to my iPhone, whats the best thing to do? If I log into iCloud I can view the emails and my mac pings to signify receiving mail, they just don't show in the mail app on my mac?

Last edited:
Remove all your mail settings from System Preferences, Internet Accounts. Reboot the Mac and setup mail again.

Remove all your mail settings from System Preferences, Internet Accounts. Reboot the Mac and setup mail again.

I didn't have to do anything as drastic as that.

In each account, there's a tick box next to Mail which tells that account it's an email account. All you have to do is untick the Mail tick box, then re tick, for each Mail account, then they should all come back.

I didn't have to do anything as drastic as that.

In each account, there's a tick box next to Mail which tells that account it's an email account. All you have to do is untick the Mail tick box, then re tick, for each Mail account, then they should all come back.

Yes that's sort of what I did, but I went into system preferences and then icloud and ticked the mail box there and they all came back

Last edited:
Just downloading now and it's not going particularly fast. Says an hour-plus to download the remaining four gigabytes and I've got to nip out before that.

I normally wouldn't leave the Mac mini on if I'm going to be out for a bit, so what's the best option?

1) Leave it on and let it finish, and then deal with the install when I'm back later.
2) Pause download and put it to sleep.
3) Pause download and shut down.

I'd favour option 3, but not overly keen on beginning the massive download from scratch if it clears what's downloaded so far. But don't want to do it if it will cause problems if it resumes.

Hoping it's going to clear the Messages glitch it seems to develop, where the dock icon thinks I've got an unread message even though I don't. Only way to clear it is to go into Activity Monitor and end the dock process and have it automatically restart.

EDIT: Clicked pause to see how it would behave. Then resume. It just hang for minutes, so I quite the App Store and will shut down. At least it made the choice for me.

Last edited:
I find the App Store program rather flaky at the best of times. I can quite happily press the buttons dozens of times and the display doesn't update, and I'll switch back to the application later and find out that it's finished downloading anyway.

I bit the bullet and did a fresh install of OS X on my Mac Pro. Backing everything up to my NAS took forever and was really tedious, but the process itself went without problem. My ancient version of TextMate froze up a few times on startup due to some plugins misbehaving, but all is fine apart from that.

I am still getting used to the San Francisco font. Its proportions seem wrong to me - it seems a bit squashed horizontally, and the rendering in Chrome is horrid.

I maintain the kerning looks off with the San Francisco typeface. The time at the top of the iPhone screen is the most noticeable example for me. I'm getting used to it though, except that one part, and know it's not going away. There are worse things, certainly.

Thankfully, the download completed (so totally get what you say about the app being flaky, as it didn't look like it was downloading). Hopefully it'll just be a case of applying the update tomorrow now.

In truth, the thing I want to try most is the new Notes on iPhone. I held off updating it because I needed the synchronisation.

Updated my iMac last night and I thought everything went OK, shut everything down. Rebooted tonight and I don't have any email directories and I can't send mails only receive emails. I can see my directories etc on iPad and iPhone anyone else had this issue since upgrading.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom