• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

OS starts in safe mode?

gop

Hi, Ive just installed a new HD, with clean install win7 ultimate. However, when i start comp from sleep or from shut down, i get this message: Warning! Now system is in safe mode. Please re-setting CPU frequency in CMOS setup.

The new HD is a western digital 1tb cavier blue, 3.5inch sata drive. I just took out olod hd, and put cables into the new one, installed windows etc.

Any ideas what its asking me to do?

Thanks.

gop

I forgot, I should point out that my comp is not a laptop, its a desktop with, GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM2 - GA-M52L-S3P (rev. 2.4),with a, AMD ATHLON 64x dual core 5000+, 2600 mhz.

Once i get this screen and the time ticks down the screen goes black with flashing cursor/tick in top left corner, this lasts for about 30 seconds then comp boots up normally.
Also have installed are:

ddr2 Dimm ram, 5 gig
Corsair 550 watt pus
Asus hd graphic card
Tbs dual satellite DVD s2 tuner
X-fi professional titanium facility sound card.

G

george1976

You should go into Bios and load the fail safe default settings, then save and exit and the computer should boot up just fine if the processor was the issue.

gop

Well I loaded fail safe options, put the computer to sleep and still starting in safe mode, this only happens on waking from sleep mode not when booted after shutdown. I'm thinking of replacing the cmos battery?

gop

Is anyone there!? Anyway, I changed the cmos cr2032 battery and still on waking from sleep, I'm back to safe mode. Am I meant to be changing the cpu frequency in some way?

DrWang

Have you tried clearing the CMOS, think some of the newer boards have a button or switch but older ones have a jumper you move, I'd find the manual it should tell you how to do it, seems odd that it's letting you boot to safe mode though as that's normally down to software.

gop

I don't think it's anything to do with the jumpers. I took out a memory module from bay 1, turned comp on, then put it to sleep, woke it up and no error message about cpu and cmos! Thinking the module might be knackered I left it out and put another one in the 1st bay, all went well no error. I then put the module from the 1st bay into the second bay, expecting to get the error message on wake up, but as of yet, nothing, takes me to password screen.

DrWang

Ah cool, I'm glad you got to the bottom of it, still a bit strange but as long as it's sorted :) Funny old things computers sometimes

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom