OS Rebuild Dilemma

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by nheather, Apr 10, 2016.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,385
    I have a desktop PC that is used for gaming, mail, documents, browsing, development, experimentation etc. that I would like to upgrade

1 - It is around 5 years old but has had various hardware upgrades along the way. But it has become bloated, maybe mildly infected with malware so it would just be good to flatten it and rebuild.

2 - It's Windows 7 and I contemplating Windows 10. But unsure as Win7 does everything I want and I'm a little nervous that some of the more obscure applicatikn may not run. Still it seems that Zi should be moving with the times and putting the latest OS on.

3 - I would like to put in a sizeable SSD as my primary drive.

The dilemma is that I'm not sure whether it is worth what will be substantial work to practically get back to where I am now.

What is the recommended order if I were to go to Win 10.

Do I flatten, install Win 7 and then upgrade to Win 10.

Or should I let it upgrade to Win 10 now, get an idea of what problems with apps there might be. I think then I have the option of using a Windows 10 iso to install straight to Win10 after I have flattened - is that correct.

And finally, if I were to upgrade to Win 10 first and decide I don't like it can I install Win7 after flattening or will my old Win7 key be associated with Win10 now.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. pappy

pappy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Make a full backup of your data before you begin either the upgrade or the downgrade.Windows 10 will cease to be a free update on 29 July 2016.

3. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    backup all data

install new ssd with windows 7 and all updates

then upgrade to windows 10

then its a clean no issue build

if you update your already bloated system you will blame win 10 and it wont be the issue

4. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,385
    Many thanks - I didn't realise that. Is that actually performing the update or registering.

I have four computers in the house that have the update registered and downloaded but not installed.

Cheers,

Nigel

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,478
    No need to install Win7 first if doing a clean install. With the latest version of Win10 (v1511) you can do a full clean install and just enter your Win7 license key to get Win10 activated.
    What’s New in Windows 10’s First Big Update (Which Arrives Today)
    So I would recommend you do an upgrade from 7 to 10 to test all programs and hardware. If happy with the results then install the SSD and do a full clean install of 10 which should auto activate as you previously used 10 on the PC. But if not you can just enter the license key from your Win7.

Mark.