OS help

classico2

Standard Member
hi All

i am new to forum, ready to built HTPC please help me choose the right OS Ultimate 32 or 64 bit and either Anydvd or Deamon tool pro advance, and for player software Powerdvd but don't know what version and for frontend Media Portal.
here is my system, also thanks to Ninja 12 and Theydon Bois for a wonderful post.

i7 quad core 2.66
EVGA X58 mother board E760
EVGA GTX 285, 1g
Muskin 6g ram
PS unit 650W Corsair
SSD 32g main drive
3TB storage drive
LG Bluray combo drive
Siverstone case

please help, thanks in advance

Last edited:

Lampshader

Novice Member
You will need the 64bit os as x86 os' can only use 4gb of ram. You can download the RC of windows 7 from microsoft which you can give a go for free. I use any dvd and it a top product and a must for me, as for daemon tools the lite version will be fine for you to use to mount iso's. Power dvd will probally come as a trial with your bluray player but if i remember rightly only powerdvd 9 ultra does the hd audio.

You can always try media center in windows 7 which is very good and i use this on my build. Your 280gtx is overkill for a htpc unless your gaming on it if you are it will run all games on max as i have one and they are superb. Are you planning to watch tv on the pc if you are then you'll need a tv card also

here is my system, also thanks to Ninja 12 and Theydon Bois for a wonderful post.

Not a problem, happy to help! :smashin:

As Lampshader says, you will need the 64 bit version of the OS you end up choosing.

Use Deamon Tools Lite, AnyDVDHD, and your choice of PowerDVD - version 7.3 comes with the LG drive and is useful for playing HD-DVDs should you have any, while later versions of PowerDVD do not support HD-DVD playback but enhance SD-DVD playback, and add beter audio payback.

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
I've found Virtual Clone Drive to be far more reliable than Daemon Tools for mounting ISOs, particularly HD formats. It is a free download from Slysoft.

I think VCD is now recommended over Daemon Tools by the MyMovies team.

Trouble is, its not supported by MediaPortal, DTLite is.

If it was, I would swap straight away though to VCD.

classico2

Standard Member
thank you for all your help, and also my goal is just put in dvd or bluray then automatic copy to my storage hardrive will daemon tool do this :D

Last edited:

classico2

Standard Member
You will need the 64bit os as x86 os' can only use 4gb of ram. You can download the RC of windows 7 from microsoft which you can give a go for free. I use any dvd and it a top product and a must for me, as for daemon tools the lite version will be fine for you to use to mount iso's. Power dvd will probally come as a trial with your bluray player but if i remember rightly only powerdvd 9 ultra does the hd audio.

You can always try media center in windows 7 which is very good and i use this on my build. Your 280gtx is overkill for a htpc unless your gaming on it if you are it will run all games on max as i have one and they are superb. Are you

planning to watch tv on the pc if you are then you'll need a tv card also

yes but i am using satelite is that work with tv tuner ?

Taelinn

Novice Member
Trouble is, its not supported by MediaPortal, DTLite is.

As of version 5.4.2.8 VCD now comes with a daemon tools emulator, this allows you to select the Daemon.exe in the VCD folder and use VCD instead of Daemon tools

this is the Config within Mediaportal

As of version 5.4.2.8 VCD now comes with a daemon tools emulator, this allows you to select the Daemon.exe in the VCD folder and use VCD instead of Daemon tools

Sweet! If I could thank you twice, I would. :D

I will try that tomorrow - free day off seeing as how the sparks have decided to turn the power off to the whole school and PAT test the server room in the middle of the week...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom