OS 4.2.1 WIFI Issues

drunken max

Established Member
Reaction score
Ever since updating I'm having wifi issues. It's not clear cut but my signal has declined and also sometimes the browser doesn't work even when it says there's a signal.... And then after a while it connects.. Sometimes. Then whole Internet connection quality has declined remarkably. I've never had problems like this before... Maybe it's the cold weather? Anyone else noticed a problem? Apologies if this has already been posted but I didn't see it.

Apologies for the double post. See?

No I haven't. Why would that help? It's the same network as the day before the upgrade. I will though just in case. Thanks.

The first thing to do is network reset. It might solve the problem, but until you try it, you'll never know

The first thing to do is network reset. It might solve the problem, but until you try it, you'll never know

What do you mean by 'network reset'?

Do you mean just reboot the wireless access point?

I'm having a similar problem on my own router, signal is poor but at my girlfriends it's strong. I haven't done a router reset on either????

It's an iPad problem as far as I'm concerned. Never had a problem until I updated, now my wi-fi is awful. Often get no connection at all. Other wi-fi enabled devices in the houwse (including iPhone 4) have no problems.

I am quite angry about it but presuming they will fix it.

They obviously didn't fix the wifi problem that delayed release, not properly anyway. Quality is no longer an apple watchword.

I've also noticed that a lot of websites reload when you switch to them unnecessarily. Whilst writing this, I also had just read engadget.com. I can't switch back without it reloading, which is problematic with the crappy wifi

Last edited:
agree - i'm having wifi degradation on my iPad and iPhone4 since upgrading to 4.2.1
iphone 3GS on 4.1 not affected

I'm also experiencing occasional resets of the iPad. Is it possible to revert back to the previous version? On top of this, my iTunes account has frozen because it wont let me verify my settings anymore, different unrelated problem caused by new Touch. So frustrated.

I'm having WIFI issues on my iPad since I switched from O2 broadband to 50mb Virgin Media. I'm wondering whether it's the Virgin dlink-655 wireless router

I have had the same problems with the DIR-655. I have done the Firmware update on the router and so far after 5 hours the connection has not dropped from the router.

Don't know whether this will be the same for everyone though/

I'm having WIFI issues on my iPad since I switched from O2 broadband to 50mb Virgin Media. I'm wondering whether it's the Virgin dlink-655 wireless router

hmm
wonder if thats my problem (same BB & router)
but then it wasn't a problem before 4.1.1...?

The WiFi issue I've with my iPad is random disconnection of my WiFi. I'm suspecting that the issue is more to do with the distance from the router to my iPad.

The location of my Virgin router is around 6 meters away than my previous O2 router to my iPad. My Lenovo T500 laptop has never disconnected from my virgin router

I'm on O2 and sat about 24 inches from my router.. A pretty good signal. But my iPad just keeps freezing on page loads. My notebook is not struggling. I've reset the router and the wifi on my iPad. Its too coincidental that apple pulled the update because of wifi issues before release. I'd put money on a bodged untested update.

The apple forum has a lot of posts on this. Admittedly a lot from fan boys who won't here a bad word against apple. Anyway, one thought is that the new update keeps dropping the IP address, I'm nit sure if changing from DHCP wouldimprove this, but also it seems that the problem is associated with wireless n. This is only a theory of course but I've set my router to just wireless g now si I'll let people know how it goes.

Just an added thing, my Daughter's 3GS has also been running like a brick since so it will be interesting to see if she sees an improvement.... I thought her eyes were less glazed than normal.

Last edited:
The apple forum has a lot of posts on this. Admittedly a lot from fan boys who won't here a bad word against apple. Anyway, one thought is that the new update keeps dropping the IP address, I'm nit sure if changing from DHCP wouldimprove this, but also it seems that the problem is associated with wireless n. This is only a theory of course but I've set my router to just wireless g now si I'll let people know how it goes.

Just an added thing, my Daughter's 3GS has also been running like a brick since so it will be interesting to see if she sees an improvement.... I thought her eyes were less glazed than normal.

It might be the wireless n as you said. My previous O2 BB used to be g, now with virgin media is wireless n

Well I've had significantly more reliable wifi since I've set it to wireless g. So far so good

I'm running 4.2.1 on my Ipad -and I'm having serious Wifi problems.

The connection gets slower and slower, until it completely stops altogether. Rebooting the ipad or the router will bring it back, but only for a short while.

Wifi is also much slower than it was under the previous firmware, when it works, anyway (THREE HOURS to download the Sun newspaper!)

I hope Apple fix it soon, as my ipad is nearly useless at the moment.

They obviously didn't fix the wifi problem that delayed release, not properly anyway. Quality is no longer an apple watchword.

I've also noticed that a lot of websites reload when you switch to them unnecessarily. Whilst writing this, I also had just read engadget.com. I can't switch back without it reloading, which is problematic with the crappy wifi

I don't have any wifi issues I don't think but I have certainly noticed pages refreshing after switching tabs. This is really annoying.

EDIT: Just remembered another problem I am having. Airprint on the ipad forgets my printer and I have to retry a couple of times before it sees it again. Not sure whether this is a wifi issue or an airprint issue though, iphone seems to remember it okay though.

Last edited:
How would one go about doing this?
O2 Forum :: View topic - How To Change Your Wireless Channel - 02 Wireless Box

The link above is a tutorial to change channels on an O2 router. Part way through you can see a screen dump that includes Interface Type. This is a drop down box. Select b and g.

I've just renewed with O2 (rang disconnection's and got The Works for £17). I also will get a new router which hopefully fix the issue. It seems older wireless n routers have issues. It also comes with the option to add USB storage and it appears as NAS which is a bonus. Hope this helps.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom