Ortofon Concorde & Technics 1200GR

flyingfalc

Novice Member
Hey,

Hoping to get a little advice to ease some worries.

I have a Technics 1200 GR and am using an Ortofon Concorde MK II Club cartridge & stylus.

What I love about this setup is that it's plug and play, no alignment issues so I can just focus on spinning tunes.

However I seem to have got myself into a bit of a worry about whether I need to make sure the stylus sits perfectly vertical in the record groove. Sometimes it looks fine, other times it looks like it's at a bit of an angle (looking from the front).

I am not really concerned about the sound quality as it sounds amazing to my ears as it is, all I'm worried about is if any damage is being done to my records.

I believe this stylus is a 'special elliptic' shape (not sure how that differs to standard elliptic!)

From reading I have done, if the stylus sits at a bit of an angle in the record groove then as long as the stylus is not worn (I plan to replace it every year) then no damage should be done to the record when using conical or eliptical styluses, it just means the contact on the diamond is in slightly different places than if it is perfectly vertical.

Is this correct?

I have setup the tracking force and anti skate to the Ortofon recommendations (3 / 3) so that should be fine.

Looking for some peace of mind so I can just get on with enjoying my vinyl!

thanks

Jampot90

I assume the TT is used at home and not in a club or dance hall - if the latter ignore what follows!

Check that the cartridge is firmly clamped in the end of the arm tube and that you can't 'twist' the cartridge body. This being the case, the change in angle you have seen (viewed from the front) suggests that the stylus shank is quite flexible. Perhaps it is meant to be like that.

According to Ortofons web site the 'special' eliptical stylus is actually quite large compared with their 'hifi' offerings and the tracking weight is very much greater. Your 1200GR will accommodate cartridges that are much kinder to your records and if that is a concern I would recommend replacing the Concorde Club as soon as funds allow.

Ortofon's 2M range is available in 'Pnp' configurations with integrated headshells so no worries about installation or alignment.

Jim

flyingfalc

Novice Member
thanks Jim - really appreciate your advice - correct, the turntable is just for home use

I would prefer to stick to the Concorde's as I know they have been designed specifically for 1200/1210's - I don't think that is the case with the 2M's but correct me if wrong

Do you have any thoughts about whether a tilted stylus (looking from the front) would have any real affect on record wear?

I understand it could affect sound and cause un-even wear on the stylus, but I plan to replace the stylus every year so am not too worried about that

thanks

Jampot90

designed specifically for 1200/1210's
More particulaly they are / were designed for DJs to use with the 'old 1200/1210s. Your 1200GR is a different beast with a much improved tone arm. Sure, the Concorde fits and if a DJ was investing in new tables today he may choose the 1200 GR over the Mk7 but the price difference of £400 or so would seem to make it unlikely!

It's impossible to say for sure whether the incorrect alignment of the stylus in the groove will cause accelerated wear but it seems likely and it will certainly be impairing the replay - even though you find the sound 'amazing':)

3 grammes of tracking force may be acceptable in a club or disco but is very unusual in a high quality domestic player.

The PnP 2M range is designed for any S shaped tone arm with removable headshell and should work splendidly in yours.....and your records will last longer.

Jim

Top Bottom