Quantcast

Orlando recommendations

Durtranks

Had an email from Disney this weekend with an offer that is proving very difficult to resist!

Free dining, 2 week tickets for price of 1 week, free memory maker & $200 Disney gift card.

We were already toying with the idea of a September 2019 trip... tempted.

beefybarn

Distinguished Member
Had an email from Disney this weekend with an offer that is proving very difficult to resist!

Free dining, 2 week tickets for price of 1 week, free memory maker & $200 Disney gift card.

We were already toying with the idea of a September 2019 trip... tempted.
Go for it, that's why we are going this September, an offer to good to refuse.

Jimmer

Doh. This thread and pressure from the girls of the house has just made me book for our second trip to the Mouse of the year. I promised myself not to go back until Star Wars was open. I failed miserably.

D

Deleted member 275754

Speaking of StarWarsLand, that reminds me of something I'd much prefer - a Star Trek experience again. There used to be one, quite long ago now, in Las Vegas, at the Hilton, off strip by the Convention Centre I think. It was great. And it was quite adult too. Big models, a walk through Star Trek timeline and show integration exhibit. Klingons and the like going about very authentically made up. Quark's bar. Awesome !

Anyone know of a such a thing operating anywhere, or planned to be ?

Durtranks

Speaking of StarWarsLand, that reminds me of something I'd much prefer - a Star Trek experience again. There used to be one, quite long ago now, in Las Vegas, at the Hilton, off strip by the Convention Centre I think. It was great. And it was quite adult too. Big models, a walk through Star Trek timeline and show integration exhibit. Klingons and the like going about very authentically made up. Quark's bar. Awesome !

Anyone know of a such a thing operating anywhere, or planned to be ?
Certainly nothing in the Orlando parks, Star Trek is owned by Paramount so unless Disney or Comcast (universal) buy out paramount I can't see it happening.

D

Deleted member 275754

I thought the closure of the Las Vegas exhibit was a travesty. I found it hard to believe it couldn't pay for itself, if that was the reason. The idea of being able to down drinks at Quark's bar was just chuffing awesome ! And the Klingons stayed in character well and you could banter with them.

I want lots of things but I guess many of them are unrealistic.

e.g.

Beavis & Butthead World
Ricky & Morty Adventureland
Proper bars, proper eating places, quiet areas and massage parlours too at, rollercoaster parks
Children and large groups banned from theme parks
Shooting ranges with live hens

Durtranks

I want lots of things but I guess many of them are unrealistic.

e.g.

Beavis & Butthead World
Ricky & Morty Adventureland
Proper bars, proper eating places, quiet areas and massage parlours too at, rollercoaster parks
Children and large groups banned from theme parks
Shooting ranges with live hens
:rotfl:

Out of all of those I've only seen the bars and eating places in parks, Disney has quite a nice selection of these!

I wouldn't hold your breath on the rest though haha.

D

Deleted member 275754

I should have added, when I mentioned shooting ranges, machine guns involved.

To machine-gun hens, is top of my bucket list.

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
Actually back in Orlando at the moment !! Unfortunately just passing through :( getting a connecting flight...a balmy 86F outside that I got a quick blast of getting off the plane !

Would be quite happy to miss the flight and go machine gun some chickens :)

Bobby2012

Yes it’s warming up out here, 86F forecast for today as well.

Actually I roadkilled a raccoon on the way home from dinner last night - not as much fun as machine gunning chickens and I wouldn’t eat a raccoon with fries (or without)

jaguar180180

Hi guys just after some reassurance really we go next week booked a car with Alamo.is it right I just need to provide credit card and pink credit card type drivers license?do I need to take the paper bit as well.and while im asking questions do I need to take a good look round the car before driving away like I would in this country. how strict are they when you drop it off I spose I’m asking if they are gonna get out a magnifying glass trying to get a few extra dollars for things.

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
My only advice about hire cars in Orlando is research the toll pass situation with your hire car company, so you don't get stung unnecessarily when you arrive tired and they bamboozle you with a number of questions and upselling. Alamo's used to be the more reasonable toll pass charge system compared to Dollar who we've used more.

Dollar scaremongered us into $116 worth of digital toll pass fees one year, when the toll pass was quite a new thing international visitors had to deal with, and we only went through $2.50 of tolls the entire trip and those gates had cash buckets. I complained about this when we returned, because their guy that served us at the desk had a very poor attitude and displayed awful customer service, particularly around the toll situation. Dollar refunded the entire fee under the circumstance and I've avoided using them since.

It's crafty, because you don't necessarily know how many toll gates there are or if they accept cash. If you don't take the toll pass, then you risk getting penalty charges for each toll you go through, plus the toll fee, plus an admin fee. Some hire car companies charge a set toll pass fee that includes all tolls during your use of the car, but you may end up not going anywhere near that amount in tolls. Others have a pay as you go system, which for us has worked out much cheaper than the all inclusive method. You don't get to choose though and are at the mercy of the setup the hire company uses.

jaguar180180

jaguar180180

My only advice about hire cars in Orlando is research the toll pass situation with your hire car company, so you don't get stung unnecessarily when you arrive tired and they bamboozle you with a number of questions and upselling. Alamo's used to be the more reasonable toll pass charge system compared to Dollar who we've used more.

Dollar scaremongered us into $116 worth of digital toll pass fees one year, when the toll pass was quite a new thing international visitors had to deal with, and we only went through $2.50 of tolls the entire trip and those gates had cash buckets. I complained about this when we returned, because their guy that served us at the desk had a very poor attitude and displayed awful customer service, particularly around the toll situation. Dollar refunded the entire fee under the circumstance and I've avoided using them since.

It's crafty, because you don't necessarily know how many toll gates there are or if they accept cash. If you don't take the toll pass, then you risk getting penalty charges for each toll you go through, plus the toll fee, plus an admin fee. Some hire car companies charge a set toll pass fee that includes all tolls during your use of the car, but you may end up not going anywhere near that amount in tolls. Others have a pay as you go system, which for us has worked out much cheaper than the all inclusive method. You don't get to choose though and are at the mercy of the setup the hire company uses.
I’m gonna say we will be doin a lot of driving but until I get there and feel comfortable I dunno really if it’s all a bit overwhelming I probably leave it in the car park for the duration suck it and see I suppose.we have trips to Kennedy space center,discovery cove and some swamp thing booked so that’s the minimum il be driving. am I correct that ALL tolls will have buckets where you can can throw money in and not have to pre pay.
Thankyou for the post marky.oh and great dog too.

Edit I re read your post and you say that not all tolls are cash.thanks again.

Bobby2012

Check in online with Alamo before you depart. This means your driving licence and passport details are available to the hire company.
If you go to the desk they will check both of these and you will need your credit card. I think you have the same insurance package as me so most evils are covered. I would have a look round the vehicle for sanity but most of the SUVs I looked at last week were immaculate inside and out. I’ve been renting from Alamo for a good few years now and I find the return process to be “ 4 wheels, no dents and not full of crap” is good enough. Not all tolls have buckets but most are manned. In most cases as you approach the toll plaza the right hand lanes are for cash payment. In these, a (sometimes) happy individual will take your toll for you and give you change - ASK FOR A RECEIPT and retain it/them until you get home. So far I’ve only met 1 bucket at the Celebration exit from 528. Personally I don’t do the Sunpass

Last edited:

jaguar180180

Check in online with Alamo before you depart. This means your driving licence and passport details are available to the hire company.
If you go to the desk they will check both of these and you will need your credit card. I think you have the same insurance package as me so most evils are covered. I would have a look round the vehicle for sanity but most of the SUVs I looked at last week were immaculate inside and out. I’ve been renting from Alamo for a good few years now and I find the return process to be “ 4 wheels, no dents and not full of crap” is good enough. Not all tolls have buckets but most are manned. In most cases as you approach the toll plaza the right hand lanes are for cash payment. In these, a (sometimes) happy individual will take your toll for you and give you change - ASK FOR A RECEIPT and retain it/them until you get home. So far I’ve only met 1 bucket at the Celebration exit from 528. Personally I don’t do the Sunpass
As usual top info.thankyou bobby.

Durtranks

@jaguar180180 Car hire with Alamo is a piece of cake, below is a long post but details exactly what'll happen at MCO when you get your car followed by a second post on sunpass...

As others have said check in online before you get there (you should be able to do this now), if your paperwork has a bar code at the top of it then you're good to go and can head straight to the garage.

You'll need to take this piece of paperwork (with said bar code), a payment card and your drivers licence.

Then once you get to the garage the rows of cars will all have signs above the rows indicating which car category is which (there are alamo staff around if you need to confirm which is your row). You just pick out which car you want, the keys are in the car and off you go. I would take the time to do a walk round of the car checking for anything noticeable etc then take the time to familiarise yourself with the car before setting off.

You'll then head towards the exit barrier where another alamo member of staff will ask for your paper work (printed off earlier with bar code), a payment card to swipe in case you incur any charges (sunpass for example) and maybe your drivers licence (I wasn't asked but it's worth having it handy).

They'll also ask what you want to do about fuel, if I remember correctly you can either pre-pay for the fuel in the car and bring it back empty, choose not to pay for the fuel but bring it back full, or you can pay for them to fill up the car on return and you pay whatever it cost. We pre-paid for the tank of fuel and took it back empty just to make things easier.

And that's it, off you go!

Durtranks

@jaguar180180 as far as sunpass goes...

If you're only going to be driving around the Orlando area then all toll booths have both sunpass and cash options, if you're planning on driving to Miami then these are cashless only.

As others have stated the cash lanes are to the right and split off into a different lane when approaching the toll. With alamo sunpass is already in the car and you opt-in/activate it by driving through the toll booth via sunpass.

If you decide to use sunpass rather than cash it'll cost you $3.95 per 24-hour period + the toll, but they'll only charge you up to $19.75 in fee's.

Based on where you've said you're going you'll be fine using cash, every cash toll we went through was manned, don't think we ever saw a "bucket" style booth! If possibly I'd say try to have some $1's available, don't be the guy that pay the $3 toll with a $20 haha I suspect that's the person they hate!

jaguar180180

@jaguar180180 as far as sunpass goes...

If you're only going to be driving around the Orlando area then all toll booths have both sunpass and cash options, if you're planning on driving to Miami then these are cashless only.

As others have stated the cash lanes are to the right and split off into a different lane when approaching the toll. With alamo sunpass is already in the car and you opt-in/activate it by driving through the toll booth via sunpass.

If you decide to use sunpass rather than cash it'll cost you $3.95 per 24-hour period + the toll, but they'll only charge you up to $19.75 in fee's.

Based on where you've said you're going you'll be fine using cash, every cash toll we went through was manned, don't think we ever saw a "bucket" style booth! If possibly I'd say try to have some $1's available, don't be the guy that pay the $3 toll with a $20 haha I suspect that's the person they hate!
Really sorry for the late reply your help as in the past is greatly appreciated.thanks.

27neth

My last day in Orlando today, wish I had stayed at home. 10 days of non stop rain, 4 days of sun.

John..

rustybin

Distinguished Member
My last day in Orlando today, wish I had stayed at home. 10 days of non stop rain, 4 days of sun.

John..
I've been following on It's Orlando Time. Very disappointing. Highly unusual too. Obviously it rains most days, but not like it's been the last few weeks.