• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

ORION TV-32082 32" - £390 - Bargain?

I

ibmonkey

I am looking to buy a new HD LCD TV. I previously pruchased an ex-shop floor tesco cheap Bauer 37" display for a great price of £380! but returned it 4 weeks later when the screen went :( it seems like a great telly up until then.

So now i'm after buying a new one, and have today come across the Orion TV-32082 for £389.99 on the currys website. http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/[email protected]@@@[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=ccckaddkjghgfdjcflgceggdhhmdfhn.0&page=Product&fm=11&sm=0&tm=0&sku=653393&category_oid=

so i'm just wondering, if anyone has this tv or if anyone has any opinions on it. i've read 3 reviews from a couple of price comparison/review sites and they were all very positive.

Also if anyone has full details on the connections, that would be great.

Thanks, Ben

197435001018vor54ttfmd3.jpg

I

ibmonkey

looks like it could be a better deal than the mirai. not sure though, could do with some better specs to see. i hope someone out there has one of these to comment. i may go to currys on the weekend to see if they have one in store to have a look at :thumbsup:

starman0147

Established Member
I have been reading the US forums and it seems like Orion make Toshiba and Sharp panels.
I am also going to take a look at this, the 2 HDMI inputs look like it could be a very good deal and i can see it in person, which you cant do with the mirai as only internet stores sell them. Although the mirai does have the 3 year warranty and also there are a lot of users who have given excellent feedback.

L

lewimc88

Yeah i have been looking for ages for a HDTV for my bedroom and i may look into this TV myself.

i saw a customer review here http://www.ciao.co.uk/Orion_TV32082__Review_5640753

So tomorrow am going to head down to my local Currys see if i can get any more information on this TV.

I have been reading the US forums and it seems like Orion make Toshiba and Sharp panels.
I am also going to take a look at this, the 2 HDMI inputs look like it could be a very good deal and i can see it in person, which you cant do with the mirai as only internet stores sell them. Although the mirai does have the 3 year warranty and also there are a lot of users who have given excellent feedback.

You say that they make Toshiba and Sharp panels? can you show me the link for where you found this if possible please starman?

For the TV having 2xHDMI for this price then am all go, but am going to see for myself first. I found out though it has no Freeview built in, not a major set back as ill be getting sky.

lewimc88

L

lewimc88

Thanks, hard to understand in German lol and the website starman sent is "currently under construction"

Ill just have to look in currys and get some better information.

It seems a good TV just for the bedroom and 2xHDMI would come in handy.

There is very little difference between this TV and the Mirai, Hannspree, AOC and all other budget TV's.

It may not have freeview but has an extra HDMI which is better in my point of view.

I

ibmonkey

nice1 starman, looks like its turning out to be quite the bargain!

:laugh: lol, sorry but the translation makes great reading....

Property for a long time considers! Then with the friend the Orion LCD 81cm seen! There it made for Bummmm! Are very content! Super picture, equipment, and the mad price!! Buy, purchase!!!

L

lewimc88

Looked in Currys today at this model and i was not impressed by it. There is a blue tint and the SD picture quality was v poor compared to other TV's. There was flicker of lines through the screen, unless it was a faulty set then i am not going to get this set now.

I

ibmonkey

hmm i'll have a look myself on the weekend. its just so hard to see the quality of tvs in shops like currys. They always have the cheapest sets wired up to the poorest quality (usually analogue tv and not tuned in correctly!) and the expensive sets setup to an hd-dvd player via an hdmi cable or something similar :suicide:

L

lewimc88

you could be right but i would double check the TV before purchasing as it seemed very poor to me.

tecnobadger

Established Member
...its just so hard to see the quality of tvs in shops like currys. They always have the cheapest sets wired up to the poorest quality... :suicide:
I bought one last night from Dixons online with code 10APR07 and via Quidco. Popped into Currys today, the cheaper TVs were all displaying a ghosty analogue pic, ones costing double looked, well, wow! The Orion looked quite nice otherwise though. I'll post when it arrives.

starman0147

Established Member
Look forward to your thoughts tecnobagder.

Looked in Currys today at this model and i was not impressed by it. There is a blue tint and the SD picture quality was v poor compared to other TV's. There was flicker of lines through the screen, unless it was a faulty set then i am not going to get this set now.

I wouldn't always go on what you see in Currys or Dixons unless it is set up properly and connected up to a decent source. I have see Pioneer and Panasonic plasmas look awful in places like Dixon's because the staff didn't set it up properly.

I have not actually had a look at this set though; I will probably be able to have a look this weekend. I will try and get hold of the manual as well as I can not get one from Orion as there does not seem to be a way of contacting them which does seem a bit worrying, although it does seem like they are just entering the European market which is probably the reason for the lack of ways to communicate with them.

Just came across a review froma user posted @ kelkoo http://audiovisual.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/prl_17970602/100311823.html

“Pros : Fantastic picture when using Xbox 360 and watching DVD
Cons : No bulit in Digital Reciever
For £400 you really cant go wrong. I was really impressed with the picture and sound quality. I was also amazed by the level of bass and clarity coming from 2 nicam speakers.
It has 2 HDMI sockets, and PC connection, 2 scarts and runs 720p and 1080i (Xbox 360 looked and ran better on 720p. DVD looked great on 1080i)
You would really struggle to see the difference between this and a much higher priced TV and offers great value for money”

L

lewimc88

Look forward to your thoughts tecnobagder.
I wouldn’t always go on what you see in Currys or Dixons unless it is set up properly and connected up to a decent source. I have see Pioneer and Panasonic plasmas look awful in places like Dixon’s because the staff didn’t set it up properly.

I have not actually had a look at this set though; I will probably be able to have a look this weekend. I will try and get hold of the manual as well as I can not get one from Orion as there does not seem to be a way of contacting them which does seem a bit worrying, although it does seem like they are just entering the European market which is probably the reason for the lack of ways to communicate with them.

Yeah i am going to go back along currys today and ask for a better feed, i have read reviews and people are saying what a good TV it is and i keep thinking to myself get this one instead of spending another £200 and go bankrupt.

My parents saw the TV with me to and you could see ghostly lines and a blue tint on the back, i keep thinking its a fault with that set.

I am going to go today and work myself to get the set as from what i have read its a bargain and worth every penny.

C

Channard

This does seem like an appealing offer. Anyone else taken Currys up on this? It was a tad disappointing to see it was being demoed with an HD signal. My local PC World, on the other hand, had much less choice but did have them running with an HD picture. Sadly this wasn't one that PC World had.

EDIT: I'm particularly interested in the sound quality as well. Big Pockets have a decent AOC going quite cheap, but there's only 7w of sound power on it.

I

ibmonkey

EDIT: I'm particularly interested in the sound quality as well. Big Pockets have a decent AOC going quite cheap, but there's only 7w of sound power on it.

according to the spec on the german orion site it has 2 x 30W speakers, and from the review starman posted from kelkoo, the reviewer was...
amazed by the level of bass and clarity coming from 2 nicam speakers.

my car is currently in the garage, if i get it back today. i'm going to have a trip to currys tonight :smashin:

L

lewimc88

Went along currys again and this time the TV was linked up to a Liteon DVD recorder via component cable. I was very impressed with what i saw, there was no ghosting, very little motion blur and there was no blue tint on the black as i said before. Even up close the TV looked FAB. From 4 foot though the picture was very good.

Regarding to sound, been in currys with the background noise it was hard to tell the quality, however even with the background noise i could still here some sound from about 4 foot away from the TV.

My 2nd opinion of the TV is a lot better now that i have seen it through the DVD recorder.

I am really impressed now so ibmonkey i say get to currys asap and see for yourself, i think it is a great set now.

B

Barnsleyshaun

Hi there

I was looking at a 32" LCD for watching Digital freeview around £350 and was looking at what peole seemed to recommend on here - Mirai/Hanspree etc but are you saying this looks the best set to go for? I really am a complete no brainer on these and so am relying on advice from kind guys like yourselves to steer me in the right direction.

I posted elsewhere regarding this set Ifound Hyundai HLTY-32F2 for £350 but couldnt find any reviews on it whatsoeverand have been warned not to buy no matter how good the spec without either viewing or good user reviews.

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Monitors/Hyundai+32"+Widescreen+TV?productId=26747&gclid=CInFzomKyosCFQU6EAodWUi9Cw

Cheers
Shaun

L

lewimc88

Hi there

I was looking at a 32" LCD for watching Digital freeview around £350 and was looking at what peole seemed to recommend on here - Mirai/Hanspree etc but are you saying this looks the best set to go for? I really am a complete no brainer on these and so am relying on advice from kind guys like yourselves to steer me in the right direction.

I posted elsewhere regarding this set Ifound Hyundai HLTY-32F2 for £350 but couldnt find any reviews on it whatsoeverand have been warned not to buy no matter how good the spec without either viewing or good user reviews.

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Monitors/Hyundai+32"+Widescreen+TV?productId=26747&gclid=CInFzomKyosCFQU6EAodWUi9Cw

Cheers
Shaun

Well the only thing that really lets this set down is not having any Freeview.

This TV is like most other budget TV's and even on the aerial feed looked ok, but with the addition of 2xHDMI instead of one gives it a thumbs up from me :thumbsup:

From what i saw at currys the picture was just like high end models such as panasonic, samsung etc. If you wish to look at a TV at an electrical store don't go on the stores demo as the feed is rubbish, so ask for a demonstration through a DVD player via component or scart, also look at the freeview (if it has it).

Its best to have a good scan through these forums for TV's, most of them are good but its up to you to decide which TV you want

lewimc88

Duel

Banned
Unless it has got a significantly better picture than the Mirai I wouldn't recommend it. 2 years extra warranty has got to be worth a lot more than an extra HDMI socket, which you can achieve with a cheap splitter off eBay anyway...

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom